Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
crizz Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Not sure if this has ever been touched on, but has Larian discussed importing/exporting custom characters within BG3? In BG1 & 2 I remember being able to import a preexisting or leveled character from BG1 & 2 into new campaigns. I'm hoping to play through the campaign with my friends, but we won't always be on at the same time. Is it at all possible to solo with my character and then import them into the saved multiplayer game so that I can use the same character when I want to play alone as well as multiplayer?

enthusiast
enthusiast
i guess "biography" and "choices" made by the character could be hard to import export. But appearance and stats should be possible and should be implemented. when it could create bugs it should be doable at least by checking some "debugging" / "developer mode by my own risk" mode box in the settings...

crizz Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
The character and stats are mainly what I'm hoping I can import/export. With a game this massive there's no way a group would have enough time to spend playing the game in its entirety without someone playing without the other.

crizz Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Would really like for the devs to weigh in on this

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by crizz
Would really like for the devs to weigh in on this

They don't respond to forum posts very often.

If the way DOS/DOS 2 were created is any indication, custom characters in the story campaign are unlikely, because characters cannot be separated from the campaign. If Shadowheart A solves quest A by killing the village and she is replaced by Shadowheart B from a different campaign who didn't slaughter the village, how can the actions be resolved? How does that affect the character development?

Moving custom characters around in GM campaigns might be another story. It's hard to say.

crizz Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Well if the completed quests are saved per game and not per character that should resolve the issue I would imagine. If all you're transferring between games are the stats and appearance it shouldn't interfere with anything. Kind of hoping they can allow for drop in drop out, otherwise I wouldn't have much reason to get the game. I'm not a fan of solo plays.

Last edited by crizz; 25/06/20 04:50 AM.
Support
Support

If quest completion is save separately from the characters, then companion characters and NPCs can not react to how quests are completed, or change their attitudes in response to character choices or dialogue, etc. It also means character choices and actions can not directly influence the nature or availability of future quests.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard