Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I'm making my team build for Early Access and it's one of the multiples aspects I lack informations.

stranger
stranger
I'm not sure if Larian has stated which system they will use. There's standard array, point buy and dice roll. I prefer the point buy system.

Last edited by Nola; 25/06/20 03:06 AM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Well, it won't cost much I guess to have both systems and let the player decide.

enthusiast
enthusiast
If you can build your own character in EA, it wouldn't make sense to have no stats assignement.

Solasta has implemented all three variants in their demo -- the dice rolling can be "abused" by rolling indefinitely though. It will also get you the most powerful characters by far.

Point buy tends to either have all attributes some above average, or a set of a ttributes low, and another set high. Reason being that a 15 (the highest you can buy btw) costs 9 Points, an 8 0 points, and you have a total of 27 points to allocate.

Last edited by Sven_; 25/06/20 09:11 AM.
veteran
veteran
I really hope we could roll dice for character creation just like in BG.

I nearly never assume the results, rolling again a few times, put every stat at it's minimum and dispatch the points how I will to.

This is my choice...
...and I'd like to have it OR i'd like to have the choice to cheat until I find the best results (for the 4th game) OR i'd like to have the choice to assume I had bad stats (for a more accurate D&D expérience).

Don't think it's too complicated, but here it's all about dices.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 25/06/20 01:02 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
I am pretty sure I read somewhere that players with have a choice of either, though I might have confused it with Solasta - too many RPGs too keep track of (good times!). I am a point buy kind of guy. As hilarious it was to have a character in BG2 whose stats were 18, 18, 18, 18, 16, 3 (18) it wasn't terribly fun.

stranger
stranger
There should be the three option, and the player chooses. If players want to make it too easy or too hard, is their choice.

I don't mind having low stats in P&P as you can roleplay your way through some things even with low stats...and they can provide fun opportunities for roleplaying in general. But in video games its just different...so I would be the person that keeps rolling until getting great numbers.

veteran
veteran
In my experience roll for stats could cause problems in PNP/ MP, but in SP it should be the player´s choice so the three options will be valid. Heck, If they want to use all 20s or all 10s in level one using cheat engine it´s their choice. They can play the way they want.

That said, I seem to recall Sven said that "roll for stats" will be in BG3 in an interview or in the Reddit AMA (IIRC, feel free to correct me)

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I really hope we could roll dice for character creation just like in BG.

I nearly never assume the results, rolling again a few times, put every stat at it's minimum and dispatch the points how I will to.

This is my choice...
...and I'd like to have it OR i'd like to have the choice to cheat until I find the best results (for the 4th game) OR i'd like to have the choice to assume I had bad stats (for a more accurate D&D expérience).

Don't think it's too complicated, but here it's all about dices.

I second this, for the exact reason you mention. That way I can experience the game at different levels of power, giving more replay value. There's something to said for playing with Uber stats as well as completely crappy.

I even completed BG1 (with a friend) with only one character each. Only having 10 in all stats, no cheats, only one magical item each and on insane difficulty. That was fun. I would like to be able to distribute my stats after rolling them.

addict
addict
They already confirmed in an interview back in march I believe that there will be both dice rolling and point buying in the final game. Don't know if this applies to EA though.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by _Vic_
That said, I seem to recall Sven said that "roll for stats" will be in BG3 in an interview or in the Reddit AMA (IIRC, feel free to correct me)

From that Reddit AMA:
Swen: This is our campaign, but it's absolutely your adventure. The small amount of gameplay we've shown so far, focused on one of our origin characters, but whether you *roll* (emphasis mine) a custom or origin character, the choices you make and the actions you take carry the same weight.

Swen does not explicitly say "rolling for stats". In the above context "roll" could just as likely mean "choose". I searched for more mention of this to clarify, but only came up with people making assumptions. If anyone has more info, I'd be keen to know too. I probably spent an hour cheesing my character in the original series, and would like to do that again, more to chase the nostalgia than for the munchkin factor.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Seraphael
Originally Posted by _Vic_

From that Reddit AMA:
Swen: This is our campaign, but it's absolutely your adventure. The small amount of gameplay we've shown so far, focused on one of our origin characters, but whether you *roll* (emphasis mine) a custom or origin character, the choices you make and the actions you take carry the same weight.

Swen does not explicitly say "rolling for stats". In the above context "roll" could just as likely mean "choose". I searched for more mention of this to clarify, but only came up with people making assumptions. If anyone has more info, I'd be keen to know too. I probably spent an hour cheesing my character in the original series, and would like to do that again, more to chase the nostalgia than for the munchkin factor.

https://twinfinite.net/2020/02/baldurs-gate-3-interview/

"Ed: Can you roll for stats? How will that work?

Walgrave: You can! In the character creation, you can accept what’s there or you can use the point buy option, or you can roll for stats. We’re going to implement I think two or three different ways of doing it. "

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard