Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
What do you guys think, should I get the early access, or wait it out for the full game?

I was kinda looking forward to playing a Bard or Paladin, neither of which are in the early access.

D
D
Are you the type of person to burn out on things like earlier acts? If so then yeah, you should probably wait. If not then I don't see why not. But ultimately that's up to you. I for one am dying for another RPG with the quality of D:OS2 so I don't think I'll be able to contain myself, and I have no problem replaying the early stuff.

I'm looking at EA as a chance to familiarize myself with fifth edition classes and abilities--and to see which team members I find most congenial. Generally, it seems like a chance to experiment with less baggage than you have when embarking on what you hope will be a complete playthrough.

veteran
veteran
It´s a chance to offer feedback and try to point out things that you possibly like in the finished game, so I´ll go for EA.

journeyman
journeyman
I agree with Imyll. I'm not to familiar with the 5e rules so any chance to learn them better with different builds is OK by me. ( and I just want to play!)

I drank what.. Socrates
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by nam897265
What do you guys think, should I get the early access, or wait it out for the full game?

I was kinda looking forward to playing a Bard or Paladin, neither of which are in the early access.

Yep also hoped to play a Paladin now, but want to support Larian, the game and development, so joining up for EA smile

The greatest of evils we face may lie within
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks for all the advice, I'll get the EA, and replay the game when the full version releases.

addict
addict
There is no option ...EA ....and ive never EA'd before - this will be the D&D game !

apprentice
apprentice

Unless someone knows you personally, I cannot see how a person could answer your question without answering the question for themselves. YOU (OP) are the best person to answer. For me, I do not care. I could do either but playing early access would give Larian, game data to refine the retail release product.

Thanks for reading...

Razorback aka Daevin Aruth
"Nullius Pavet Occursum" = "He fears not meeting with any one"
Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants, and debt is the money of slaves...
https://discord.gg/jxA5AvA
veteran
veteran

Always: wait. 1.0 will be a better, more polished experience, you will have better first impression of the game, and none of the fun will be spoiled by jumping into unfinished product.

Unless you can't or don't want to wait. In which case - why ask in the first place?

journeyman
journeyman
I've been a alpha / beta tester for many (mmo) games. I will try to get in early just to help work out the kinks and provide feedback so when the average consumer gets in the game is polished. Of course haters gonna hate. So for me yes I'm in

I've already participated in EA RPG games before.

The PROs: you'll get to help Larian make a more stable game. Of course it depends on you, and on Larian's capacity to collect reports. It's also important they give feedback or acknowledge the reports, if that's not the case I would avoid the EA altogether because it's frustrating for both to have similar reports, or reports that are ignored.
You'll also get to meet other people in a "special" experience. That depends on how active you are in forums, and how many people participate.
Then the obvious, you'll get to see the game earlier...

The CONs: ... what you'll see earlier will not be in a good state. There will be bugs. So instead of enjoying a game, you'll have to take a different approach, you don't really play it for the game itself, but to help with its debugging. It may be frustrating, and prevent you from enjoying a good RPG game. Once it is released in a "final" state, or as close as possible to that ideal, and depending on the replay value, you may not be in the mood to enjoy it anymore (especially if you were over-active in the test phase).

So it can be quite fun an a different experience, as long as you don't burnout on it, and keep some energy for the actual release.

EDIT: I see the quoting system need debugging as well :p

Last edited by Raze; 22/07/20 05:31 AM. Reason: enable UBBCode
enthusiast
enthusiast
You don’t get quoting privileges until you’ve been here a while. Your first few posts look like a mess to, erm, show you’re not a bot maybe? Somehow? God knows, I don’t get it.

Anyway I agree. Early access is really for people who want to help fine tuning mechanics and UI, report bugs and problems, and make reasonable and feasible suggestions for improvements. If you want to contribute to making the game as good as it can be, then it’s a good idea. If you just want to play it, probably not so much.

Support
Support

UBBCode is disabled on new accounts, as an anti-spam measure (no clickable links, etc). Mods manually move new users to the user group after posting (depending on content) and I periodically search for new users with posts, recently online, to check for anyone missed while just reading the forum.

Thanks for the explanation, Dagless and Raze, good to know. The quote button was enabled but producing UBBCode which was "escaped", but at least it's understandable to everyone, that's what matters smile

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard