Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 32 of 61 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 60 61
T
T
Im one of those old school players who rank BG1+2 as my top games of all time and I was pretty hyped when the news of a sequel hit. I mean, I cant remember the last time I felt genuine excitement over a game, it just doesnt hit the spot like it used to, you know. Since then my excitement has faded and I'm currently luke warm. I'll probably buy it because I have to check it out but there are a couple of key things that I struggle to get over:

a) Flashy effects on mundande things. Why is shooting a regular arrow from a regular bow sparkle? Its needless visual noise.
b) Visual noise. This was a problem with DOS2 too, all the lightning and shadow effects (like trees/bushes moving, not only creating noise in themselves but also in the shadow), every asset looking like its wrapped in saran wrap, its exhausting to look at. I want my screen to be calm if I'm to enjoy a nice little turn-based RPG. I'm pretty sure that the characters in DOS2 has an inherent glow to them but I dont know much about game development so I might be talking out of my ass here.
c) Max party size of 4. Speaking of keeping the "soul of the original games present in the sequel" this is one of those things I dont understand. I like bigger parties, I like to have lots of companions to chose from (thats another thing, I cannot know this obviously but my guess is that there will be very few options when it comes to party composition, an issue with Pathfinder: Kingmaker aswell).
d) Railroad narrative. I think its been confirmed that there wont be an open world to explore? Like, when you enter a new chapter you cant go back to previous areas or enter areas that would be deadly to a low level party. I might be wrong on this one though.

I'm also happy that its turn-based. This news had some people frothing at the mouth with fury (understandable) but I've played alot PnP in my days and turn-based is a natural fit to Baldurs Gate.

Last edited by Torque; 28/07/20 02:34 PM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
and im glad the developers seem to have other ideas.
im sick of the tired argument of mroe boring is more real.

Ironically the pathfinder devs had it right about making mundane combat look more interresting

addict
addict
Honestly, it seems they will handle the story, decision making tree and characters interactions very well. I don't have any concern in that regards.

My concern is with gameplay mechanics and immersion. DOS 2 exploration is terrible, the scenarios and enemies are very repetitive, there are no proper cities, no day/night cycle and as somebody said the UI is very "gamey" with excessive visual effects.

Immersion is one of the key supporting features for enjoying a RPG and its story and I hope they fix it for BG3.

journeyman
journeyman
I agree that the non-magical abilities are a bit over the top in visual effects. I think they should be lot more sound based than visual based (I also wish there was vibration on keyboards). But from what I'm seeing, it looks like they are toning down that gamey, cartoonish look that the world and characters have. I think dynamic lighting makes up for any visual luster lost, and I have high hopes for the finished product. I don't know about anyone else, but I've always felt exploration in point and click navigators is always a little boring.

D
D
Originally Posted by neongreg
I agree that the non-magical abilities are a bit over the top in visual effects. I think they should be lot more sound based than visual based (I also wish there was vibration on keyboards)

this isn't quite as ideal for the hearing impaired, sadly.

i personally don't think the basic abilities are that flashy, or really flashy at all. they are distinct in their animations, but I welcome that, especially in a MP environment where it helps people stay aware of what abilities people are using. i'm sure we'll have a combat log of sorts, too, but I prefer to see the stuff in action and easily be able to identify what's happening to combing over a combat log.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by DrunkPunk
i personally don't think the basic abilities are that flashy, or really flashy at all. they are distinct in their animations, but I welcome that, especially in a MP environment where it helps people stay aware of what abilities people are using. i'm sure we'll have a combat log of sorts, too, but I prefer to see the stuff in action and easily be able to identify what's happening to combing over a combat log.

Which would be more evidence that the game is being made specifically for MP, even if it means a "lesser" experience in SP.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Torque

c) Max party size of 4. Speaking of keeping the "soul of the original games present in the sequel" this is one of those things I dont understand. I like bigger parties, I like to have lots of companions to chose from (thats another thing, I cannot know this obviously but my guess is that there will be very few options when it comes to party composition, an issue with Pathfinder: Kingmaker aswell).

I am aware of 5 origins/companions so far. I am sure there will be more to come, but we will see how many. I don't expect to see BG2 amount of companions, though as modern companions tend to have more depth, it is somewhat understandable. Ideally one would want one companion per class, though I think it's unlikely to happen. We can curely make custom merceneries,though that's not quite the same.

4 is below my preference. I though Deadfire worked alright with 5, but 4 always felt too little for me. You will have tank, DPS, healer, caster, and that's kinda it. I feel 5 or 6 gives a bit more room to wiggle.

d) Railroad narrative. I think its been confirmed that there wont be an open world to explore? Like, when you enter a new chapter you cant go back to previous areas or enter areas that would be deadly to a low level party. I might be wrong on this one though.

No, we don't actually know anything about the structure of the game. Assumingly it will be somewhat similar to D:OS2 - Coop is still a thing, and devs want players to be able to split so there will be most likely fewer, bigger maps, rather then lots of smaller ones like in BG1&2. EA is supposed to come with a zone bigger then EA of D:OS2. But how the story will progress, and there will be any back&forth between locations is unknown. I can't really imagine they would d BG3 and not try to make a proper, central city, which you will visit, stay in and return to throughout the game. Comeon, your RPG is only as good as your city content.

Last edited by Wormerine; 28/07/20 07:23 PM.
D
D
Originally Posted by kanisatha

Which would be more evidence that the game is being made specifically for MP, even if it means a "lesser" experience in SP.

Larian has said they plan on making games that are both great in single player and multiplayer,, and that it will be a focus on their titles moving forward. so you're partially right, it's being made with MP in mind but not specifically. Even for a SP game, this is something I would want, which is why I mentioned the combat log stuff.

D
D
Originally Posted by Wormerine

No, we don't actually know anything about the structure of the game. Assumingly it will be somewhat similar to D:OS2 - Coop is still a thing, and devs want players to be able to split so there will be most likely fewer, bigger maps, rather then lots of smaller ones like in BG1&2. EA is supposed to come with a zone bigger then EA of D:OS2. But how the story will progress, and there will be any back&forth between locations is unknown. I can't really imagine they would d BG3 and not try to make a proper, central city, which you will visit, stay in and return to throughout the game. Comeon, your RPG is only as good as your city content.

They actually did come out and say it'll be similar to D:OS in that each act will be a zone, and you won't be backtracking. I assume this also means we won't be frequently entering and leaving the city of Baldurs Gate, but it'll be confined to a single act.

veteran
veteran

Larian has said they plan on making games that are both great in single player and multiplayer,, and that it will be a focus on their titles moving forward. so you're partially right, it's being made with MP in mind but not specifically. Even for a SP game, this is something I would want, which is why I mentioned the combat log stuff.

Well I play only in SP, and this is something that takes away from my positive SP experience. I hate the idea of using flashy animations as a way of providing information to me as the player. I'd much rather be able to look for that information in a traditional dialog box in the corner of my screen. I hate info being forced upon me, and would rather have it be under my control as to what info I choose to access and when I access it. This is also true of those die rolling animations in the middle of the screen every time a die-based check of some sort happens. I imagine many people think it is "cool." For me it is horrible trash and destroys my immersion. Just tell me what the die roll was in the dialog box.

T
T

They actually did come out and say it'll be similar to D:OS in that each act will be a zone, and you won't be backtracking. I assume this also means we won't be frequently entering and leaving the city of Baldurs Gate, but it'll be confined to a single act.

Now that would be an odd descision given its the namesake of the game. More likely Baldurs Gate will function as a hub of sorts where you can come and go all throughout the campaign.

D
D

Now that would be an odd descision given its the namesake of the game. More likely Baldurs Gate will function as a hub of sorts where you can come and go all throughout the campaign.

I tracked down the AMA and the questions/answers that lead me to believe this, which can be found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/DivinityOriginalSin/comments/fhq897/compiled_baldurs_gate_ama_20200313/

Q: Like the original Baldur's Gate, will locations be broken down into sections or will it be like in DOS2, where you are in a huge terrain.

David: You're in a huge terrain, but between acts you will travel from one huge region to another.

Q: You have mentioned that the scope of Baldur's Gate 3 is huge, but we do not have much to go off of. How many places will we be able to visit and explore? Will it only be a small part of the Sword Coast or can/could we venture off to places like Neverwinter or to the South to see Amn? Is it closer to an open world or will it be closer to D:OS 1/2 in that it is a large map that is sectioned into smaller areas?

Swen: The small portion of the adventure we’ve shown takes place many miles East of Baldur’s Gate, and the initial journey will take players along the banks of the river Chionthar, and surrounding wilderness and settlements, toward BG and the coast. You won’t be walking the whole way to BG in real-time, so there will be several large, open regions. Later, you’ll visit the city of Baldur’s Gate itself, of course. Other places I’m not going to spoil for you because discovery and exploration are part of the joy.

T
T

I am aware of 5 origins/companions so far. I am sure there will be more to come, but we will see how many. I don't expect to see BG2 amount of companions, though as modern companions tend to have more depth, it is somewhat understandable. Ideally one would want one companion per class, though I think it's unlikely to happen. We can curely make custom merceneries,though that's not quite the same.

4 is below my preference. I though Deadfire worked alright with 5, but 4 always felt too little for me. You will have tank, DPS, healer, caster, and that's kinda it. I feel 5 or 6 gives a bit more room to wiggle.

Not necessary to have a checklist of like 2 of every class (to fit alignment), just plop down compelling and interesting characters with some balancing in mind. Also no need to have a 600 page tome of narrative and story for them, all of them dont need to have a personal quest or an "arc". This is a personal preference sure, but I dont need depth to my companions but I also dont want soulless mercenaries. Where exactly is the balance? Hard to say, the companions of PF:K was fine in how much "space" they took up but again there was just too few of them. So I guess its a matter of prioritizing resources.

Last edited by Torque; 28/07/20 09:30 PM.
veteran
veteran

This is a personal preference sure, but I dont need depth to my companions but I also dont want soulless mercenaries. Where exactly is the balance? Hard to say, the companions of PF:K was fine in how much "space" they took up but again there was just too few of them. So I guess its a matter of prioritizing resources.

Yeah, though differenciating companions in content might lead to "Deadfire" problem - with people being upset why some characters got more content then others. Though personally I felt it worked alright.

[in case you are not familiar, Deadfire featured companions and sidekick - companions had a lot of content, personal quests and, ultimately rather broken, relationship system. Sidekick on the other hand, had a short introduction, custom voice lines, some small conversation trees... and that's pretty much it. Until DLCs that is, that fleshed them out a bit].

journeyman
journeyman

Well I play only in SP, and this is something that takes away from my positive SP experience. I hate the idea of using flashy animations as a way of providing information to me as the player. I'd much rather be able to look for that information in a traditional dialog box in the corner of my screen. I hate info being forced upon me, and would rather have it be under my control as to what info I choose to access and when I access it. This is also true of those die rolling animations in the middle of the screen every time a die-based check of some sort happens. I imagine many people think it is "cool." For me it is horrible trash and destroys my immersion. Just tell me what the die roll was in the dialog box.

I'm actually a fan of the dice rolling. It makes me feel like I'm more in power of the outcome (obviously I'm not). But it also gives that moment of suspense and dread not knowing if it will work. This suspense makes successes feel a lot better. This is just my view on it, but I am very much a fan.

veteran
veteran
Yes it's obviously a personal preference thing for me as well. That's why I very strongly believe that in any videogame those things that are going to be people's subjective personal preference whether they like it or not should have a toggle to turn them on or off.

journeyman
journeyman
Ohhh that's what you mean. Yeah obviously you should be able to turn it off.

addict
addict

Q: Like the original Baldur's Gate, will locations be broken down into sections or will it be like in DOS2, where you are in a huge terrain.

David: You're in a huge terrain, but between acts you will travel from one huge region to another.

So just like in the D:OS series and not like in the Baldur's Gate series. rolleyes

Is there anything about this game that is even remotely related to the Baldur's Gate series other than the title? Apparently not.

veteran
veteran
I think Larian takes his inspiration in WotC´s D&D 5th edition lore and adventures more than in the previous games, at least that´s the impression they gave us until now.

Last edited by _Vic_; 01/08/20 05:03 PM.
addict
addict

Imagine calling your game Baldur's Gate, but confining the city to only one act. rolleyes

This is really lame and not how it was done in the Baldur's Gate series. Not to mention that the ability to backtrack, with only minor exceptions, should be available in every RPG.

Page 32 of 61 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 60 61

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard