Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Spoilers for those who haven't beaten the game yet.

After playing this game for over 500 hours, I finally beat it after going through tactician mode with 3 friends. It was a journey - I love the game through and through. The reason I have so many hours is because I just love trying new builds, new paths with new characters, I have a problem when it comes to starting over. The game is easily one of my top favorites, and I recommend it to anyone I come across.

However, I didn't experience the satisfying ending that I thought I would.

Background: I played a player-made human character. No special background, and the build I went with was a Sword + Shield cleric. I knew I wasn't going to be killing anything, as 2 other party members were built to just deal damage. This campaign took over a 3 months to finish, as we only meet online once per week to play. Throughout my journey, I had to endure that I simply was not important. It was what I signed up for - I couldn't really do anything effective with my build aside from heal, eventually my other party members just killed everything before I could really act. I built the best that I could, I stacked CON, taunted, and healed. I was the paladin, and even in the final fights, I couldn't do much, and was outshined by everyone. I dealt with it - I was just excited to see how the game ended.

After the final boss, the post-story scenario was read out by the narrator. The Red Prince ascended, and Fane went his own way. The other party member was a player made elf, and I was pleasantly surprised to see they got an honorable nod in the post story with the Elven Tribe, even if it was very brief. I awaited my sense of recognition with a big smile on my face...and it never came.

Not even a picture was shown.

All that time I spent enduring being non-essential with my party only to be completely ignored by the events the world went through and people that I interacted with...it hurt. I really felt like they could've cleared the game without me, that I was just along for the ride.

So for Larian - my suggestion is that you please consider making ALL characters be relevant in the post-story wrap up. I don't know if the other non essential player races get the shaft like humans did, but it really made me feel like nothing I did mattered, like my time meant literally nothing at the end of the day.

Even if it's just a one line nod mixed in with everything, with the default human picture showing...it would've been enough for me. It really would have.

Thank you for reading this small complaint/suggestion. The rest of the game is lovely, I just wish after all that it had ended better. Sorry to bring negative feelings, I just felt crushed. I wish you all luck with BG3.

stranger
stranger
I have just finished it as well, and also want to say I agree with you. I have made multiple posts about it.

We can only hope Larian gives us a new DOS3 or Fallen Heroes and allows us to continue our relationship with these characters.

They were lightning in a bottle. And instead of starting us off with new characters that takes hours of gameplay to introduce, I think jumping us straight into a new adventure with characters we know and love, connecting those past romances and relationships, would do wonders for exploring new interpersonal dynamics that could arise from your old friendships and loves.

I'd love to continue my custom MC romance with Sebille and see how life after Sealing the Veil looks for the Elven Warrior rolled Sebille and her "boy" as she called him. It was so endearing.

Because as it stood, I was only left wanting more than what I got from the ending, and I'm right there with you. It just wasn't enough for me.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard