Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I've not seen a lot of topics talking about what you really want to play in BG3, considering what we know so far, so let's open this one !
We know that there will be 9 races (and some subraces), 6 classes and a few backgrounds (I've count ten dots ?), so quite a lot of possibilities ! What are you interressed to play for the EA, what are your questions about some combos ?
I have a lot of ideas right now, I know I will not be able to decide until last minute, but I'd love to read about your opinions.
I think I'll enjoy to play a cleric, but it depends of witch domain you can have and witch God. Maybe a half drow, they seem to be quite interresting. And I'm quite curious about the githyanki and how the backgrounds are going to work with them : are we going to play githyankis new to BG, and having their backstory at home, or is it possible to think about githyanki raised in BG ? What class should work, IRP, for them, knowing that they seem to really fit with warrior but not so much with the rest ?

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'll be playing a Half-elf, Great Old One Warlock, with criminal background, since multi-classing and sorcerer won't be in at the EA launch. On actual launch I'll be play a Great Old One Pact of the Tome Warlock, Divine Soul Sorcerer multi-class with the same background, and Criminal specialty will be Hired Killer. Ability score and skill spread for both will be

Str: 8
Athletics: -1

Dex: 16
Acrobatics: 3, Slight of Hand: 3, Stealth: 5

Con: 10

Int:16
Arcana: 5, History: 3, Investigation: 5, Nature: 3, Religion: 3

Wis: 8
Animal handling: -1, Insight: -1, Medicine: -1, Perception: -1, Survival: -1

Charisma: 16
Deception: 5, Intimidation: 5, Performance: 3, Persuasion 5

I'm hopping that the max level of the campaign winds up being 20, and they manage to fit the entirety of the players hand book in. I really want to experience playing a 3 Warlock/ 17 Divine Soul Sorcerer in a Larian quality crpg.

Edit: Just noticed Divine Soul might not make it in, since its not in the player's handbook, but I really hope it is.

Edit2: Divine Soul will likely get in since they said they'd be pulling from multiple D&D books. If they stuck to just the player's hand book for Sorcerer than it would only have 2 sub classes.

Last edited by Damashi; 29/07/20 03:05 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
I'm gonna wanna play a GOO warlock with, pact of the blade, with the mask of many faces invocation. I'm excited to see what that can do as far as rp goes. I also want to run a trickery cleric, I hope pranks can be pulled but I understand that might be a bit hard to implement.

N
old hand
old hand
N
If the priesthood of Lloth is there, I will play a drow priestess. If not, I will certainly play a tiefling warlock.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I usually juggle with different ideas during character creation, experementing with different races and classes, never knowing what to play. Then, I always end up playing the same thing I do in every DnD crpg: a melee-oriented human cleric.

addict
addict
Human Ranger ( the only class with class !) - but given I want to play that for the full release i might go with a rogue ....

D
D
My first will probably be a human cleric, then after that some sort of caster, I'm not sure which one yet. I tend to lean towards cleric in BG, as well as other similar styles of games.

enthusiast
enthusiast
First I'll play a regular Human Light Domain Cleric with the Hermit Background. She will grab a couple of levels of Evocation Wizard after full release:
https://www.dndbeyond.com/profile/Merlex/characters/32823128
https://www.dndbeyond.com/profile/Merlex/characters/30474510
Then a Githyanki Eldritch Knight Fighter Sage. I'll play him in full release too, multiclassing into an Abjuration Wizard after 6th level:
https://www.dndbeyond.com/profile/Merlex/characters/32823102
https://www.dndbeyond.com/profile/Merlex/characters/30339003
A Wood Elf Hunter Ranger Outlander. Who will add 7 levels of Champion Fighter after full release:
https://www.dndbeyond.com/profile/Merlex/characters/32823174
https://www.dndbeyond.com/profile/Merlex/characters/30474682
A Hill Dwarf Life Domain Cleric Acolyte:
https://www.dndbeyond.com/profile/Merlex/characters/32823342
After full release and modding makes it's way into the game, I'll play this as a Life Cleric/ Shepherd Druid, using Shillelagh with an 18 Wisdom:
https://www.dndbeyond.com/profile/Merlex/characters/30795244

Once they start adding other classes, subclasses, and subraces, I have several other I want to try.

Last edited by Merlex; 29/07/20 02:43 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gt27mustang
I usually juggle with different ideas during character creation, experementing with different races and classes, never knowing what to play. Then, I always end up playing the same thing I do in every DnD crpg: a melee-oriented human cleric.

Sounds like you might want to try a Hill Dwarf Life Domain Cleric. You get Heavy Armor proficiency, +1 Hit Points, +2 Constitution, +1 Wisdom, and can use a Warhammer.

Last edited by Merlex; 29/07/20 02:28 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Wish I could play a paladin...*sniff* frown

The greatest of evils we face may lie within
enthusiast
enthusiast
Wyll the Origin character Warlock for me. He's human and a Warlock with the Fiend patron pact, my favorite combination. Noble background will help with Persuasion, Warlock for Deception makes him a perfect choice for the 'face' of the party.

Evil always finds a way.
Banned
Banned

Originally Posted by Tarorn
Human Ranger ( the only class with class !) - but given I want to play that for the full release i might go with a rogue ....

Great choices. I love rangers and rogues so I'm torn between which one to go with.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Sir Gareyth

So you can't play as Pally? Are you serious?

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Kylu
Originally Posted by Sir Gareyth

So you can't play as Pally? Are you serious?

Not all of the classes and races will be in the Early Access at launch. Given the shear volume of stuff there is in D&D, I see this as acceptable.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Merlex
Originally Posted by Gt27mustang

Sounds like you might want to try a Hill Dwarf Life Domain Cleric. You get Heavy Armor proficiency, +1 Hit Points, +2 Constitution, +1 Wisdom, and can use a Warhammer.

Yeah I know the dwarf is built to be a cleric but even in tabletop I prefer human. I think I find it easier to roleplay a human. I might try different this time around.

S
addict
addict
S
I have no experience of 5e apart from reading up to prepare for BG3, but interested in particular the changes made to the Ranger class. Not decided on picking the game up as early as EA though.

journeyman
journeyman
@Warlocke (sorry forgot to quote) Yeah, we are getting EA so can’t complain too much but for those of us who love Pallys it just sucks, though. On the upside and looking at all the classes of the premade NPCs, might be cool to play a Ranger in EA.

The greatest of evils we face may lie within
veteran
veteran
I'd initially planned on going in to play a Tiefling feypact Warlock because that's my absolute favourite combination but then it occured to me that early access is a prime opportunity to try out something I wouldn't normally. So I think I'll actually go with a dwarf, maybe a dwarven ranger to try something really out of the ordinary for me. I basically never play non-magical classes in games so might as well give it a try in this short version. Then I can play something more usual for me for the full release.

Banned
Banned
Probably some evil megalomaniac. Or a pathetic beggar. No in between.

stranger
stranger
I think githyanki old one warlock which grants psionic/ mind control fits best theme wise.

But I d rather play half drow or half elf fey warlock or perhaps sorcerer.

Not sure how PLAYING EVIL works out. Anyone?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard