Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#671919 16/08/20 12:13 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
In bg 1 and 2 playing evil was quite limited and discouraged.
How does it work in bg3 ?

How will reputation be tracked throughout the game?

What rewards, punishments and and opportunitues does evil offer?

How will good characters combine with evil party members, if possible at all?

Last edited by Mongoose; 16/08/20 04:09 PM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
I don’t think any of this is known, yet.

veteran
veteran
If it´s any indication; in the Pax Q&A, Vincke mentions they'd started doing an alignment system but got asked to tune it down/alter it by WotC because the alignment system has less significance in 5e, and they've replaced it with a reputation system. So I assume there´ll be different outcomes for your quests and actions, but maybe that does not fit the classic evil/good axis, maybe?

Banned
Banned
The issue for me is that Good and Evil aren't just philosophical concepts in the Forgotten Realms. They are actual planar metaphysical powers that construct reality.

Good, Evil, Law, and Chaos aren't just ideas. So if Wizards is choosing to eschew these concepts, then this game isn't going to feel like a Forgotten Realms title.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by qhristoff
The issue for me is that Good and Evil aren't just philosophical concepts in the Forgotten Realms. They are actual planar metaphysical powers that construct reality.

Good, Evil, Law, and Chaos aren't just ideas. So if Wizards is choosing to eschew these concepts, then this game isn't going to feel like a Forgotten Realms title.

True, but then D&D doesn't really resemble the original game concept much either.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I dont care much for simplistic concepts of good and evil but I do hope the game has a sound reputation tracker.

W
veteran
veteran
W

Are Law and Chaos metaphysical forces in the FR cosmology? Good and Evil are in the form of positive and negative energy, but I wasn’t aware of an equivalent set of forces for Law and Chaos. I thought there were only 6 forces: positive, negative, and the 4 elements.

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Warlocke

Are Law and Chaos metaphysical forces in the FR cosmology? Good and Evil are in the form of positive and negative energy, but I wasn’t aware of an equivalent set of forces for Law and Chaos. I thought there were only 6 forces: positive, negative, and the 4 elements.

Law and Chaos are the forces that organize the planes of existence in the Forgotten Realms cosmology. They are what bind the material planes of Toril together.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Aaaah, okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification! 😁

stranger
stranger
As long as I can throw gnomes off a cliff and into the ocean im okay

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Quiltsharts ^_^

PREACH! FUCK gnomes so much. I hate those puny creatures.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Warlocke

P
Positive and Negative Energy aren't tied to good or evil, they are tied to life and death, creation and destruction, and undeath.

The Good is represented by the powers of the Upper Planes, evil by the powers lower planes, chaos by Limbo, order mechanus.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Iamblitzwing

PREACH! FUCK gnomes so much. I hate those puny creatures.

Gnomes of the world unite.

journeyman
journeyman
Children of Glittergold, defend yourselves!

The greatest of evils we face may lie within
enthusiast
enthusiast
I am not really a big fan of playing evil characters but I am not a big fan of playing good characters ether my all time favourite alignment is chaotic neutral

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
stranger
stranger
If you dont have evil options then your good options have no contrast smile

veteran
veteran
Adam Smith made a call to all Evildoers in the "Pannel from hell" streaming, so I think we could expect good things if we play evil in the campaing.
Well, not "good" things but "Evil" good things... uh, you get my meaning.

stranger
stranger
You mean like good in the sense that if I throw a gnome off a cliff its like 1 less person in the world I need to talk to and therefore is making my quest on a whole easier? Yes I never thought about that. Maybe I am the good guy afterall?

R
stranger
stranger
R
in the sense that if I throw a gnome off a cliff its like 1 less person in the world I need to talk to and therefore is making my quest on a whole easier?

More like if you kill the bad guys instead of joining them, you will never see all the dialog they wrote for the dark side - and they want to show that off.

other games: most players want to be heroes, so we throw in evil choices only to give meaningful contrast to the good ones.
BG3: evil storylines should be as fleshed out as the heroic ones, we just need to convince more players to explore them so the work isn't wasted..

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by randomwalker
in the sense that if I throw a gnome off a cliff its like 1 less person in the world I need to talk to and therefore is making my quest on a whole easier?

More like if you kill the bad guys instead of joining them, you will never see all the dialog they wrote for the dark side - and they want to show that off.

other games: most players want to be heroes, so we throw in evil choices only to give meaningful contrast to the good ones.
BG3: evil storylines should be as fleshed out as the heroic ones, we just need to convince more players to explore them so the work isn't wasted..

Why would anyone kill the bad guys when they're just conduits for speeding up your quest when they help you throw gnomes off a cliff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard