Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 25 26
apprentice
apprentice
https://www.ilmessaggero.it/tecnolo...ia_quarto_mercato_in_europa-3680383.html

DATEVE LE PIZZE NFACCIA (ora traducetelo o fatevelo tradurre da qualcuno aggratise)

Last edited by pbrosio; 21/08/20 08:09 AM.
D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by Raze
It is a normal part of the development process that things are changed or cut, and this can unfortunately include localisations and sometimes even entire ports. Projects can also be cancelled outright, etc.

No, it's just a business choice

Zero. There are no preorders. The Steam page was updated to correct the list of supported languages more than a month before Early Access will be available.

Fortunately

Time and resources were still put into officially adding the translations (legal, local QA, updates and fixes, general QA with updates on all platforms, etc).I do not have the regional sales numbers, and do not know if there was a significant increase in sales due to the localisations or how the increase in sales compares to the cost of doing a full professional localisation. If it was as beneficial as you assume for D:OS, wouldn't that make an Italian localisation more likely for BG3 after release?

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Made $85 Million In Revenue, According To SuperData, I don't think a few thousand Euros for a professional localization will get you down...
D:OS2 had a total of 90K strings of text and 14 months of work ( in our free time, we all have another work for eat ).
Now you tell us the only first part is 46K and "wouldn't that make an Italian localisation more likely for BG3 after release?".
So you think that if in italy the game is purchased Larian might think about doing the location?
Answers: few sales without location at launch, so bye bye italian.

Have you not followed the development of any other games / creative projects? It it not unusual that plans in place when a project is first announced are changed, to various degrees, more than a year later (BG3 didn't even have a save system with the first gameplay reveal, which was some time after the announcement).

True, but when a CEO answers "yes" to a specific question about the location of an Italian magazine, puts his face and the reputation of his company. Reputation and sincerity which is evidently quite low.
it was better to answer "at the moment we are not sure if Italian is understood among the languages at the launch".

Nobody is expected or required to translate the game into any other language. When considering the initial localisations, we tried to cover as many as was feasible to do, with the largest potential demand.

More coverage does not always mean more profit

I'm sure that will be looked at after release, when other localisations are reconsidered.

Answers: 90% No Italian ( and some other language )

Best Regards
Dark Legend

stranger
stranger

Despite your initial promises, I have learned that the game will not be translated into Italian

And I won't buy it even if I find out that it has been translated for free by some group of willing Italians.

Tnanx so much!!

apprentice
apprentice
What a shame.
What a disrespectful answer from LARIAN to all theirs Italian supporters.

apprentice
apprentice
Ormai non c'è piu' passione per il lavoro che fate siete diventati una societa' attenta solo ai ricavi senza considerare le comunità tutto quello che d&d / bg non è mai stato.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by pbrosio
Ormai non c'è piu' passione per il lavoro che fate siete diventati una societa' attenta solo ai ricavi senza considerare le comunità tutto quello che d&d / bg non è mai stato.

Concordo e pensare che, a quanto dice Asmodee, l'italiano è la prima lingua (dopo l'inglese) al MONDO per vendite dei manuali di d&d....e questi della Larian la snobbano proprio su un gioco basato su Baldur's

A
stranger
stranger
A
[quote=Raze]
Zero. There are no preorders. The Steam page was updated to correct the list of supported languages more than a month before Early Access will be available.

[/quote]

check GOG page !
info are incorrect

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Malabolgia
Do you know how this is called? False advertising

It is a normal part of the development process that things are changed or cut, and this can unfortunately include localisations and sometimes even entire ports. Projects can also be cancelled outright, etc.

Originally Posted by Malabolgia
And it would be interesting to know how many preorders you have received thanks to this false advertisement.

Originally Posted by Trynd
Not only you received italian translations from a great and passionate team of translators for DOS 1 and 2 for FREE, increasing your profit in our market at the cost of 0 penny from your part.

Time and resources were still put into officially adding the translations (legal, local QA, updates and fixes, general QA with updates on all platforms, etc).
I do not have the regional sales numbers, and do not know if there was a significant increase in sales due to the localisations or how the increase in sales compares to the cost of doing a full professional localisation. If it was as beneficial as you assume for D:OS, wouldn't that make an Italian localisation more likely for BG3 after release?

Originally Posted by Trynd
Not only you have confirmed that italian language would have been in BG3 from the beginning (not talking about EA, but the final product).
But now you realized that there is too much work to be done and you basically thrown our language (and your word) in the toilet.

Have you not followed the development of any other games / creative projects? It it not unusual that plans in place when a project is first announced are changed, to various degrees, more than a year later (BG3 didn't even have a save system with the first gameplay reveal, which was some time after the announcement).

Originally Posted by Squesing
It is so unfair that you rely on the free contribute of the italian translator's community for a future localization

Nobody is expected or required to translate the game into any other language.
When considering the initial localisations, we tried to cover as many as was feasible to do, with the largest potential demand.

Originally Posted by Rafiki1991
It is unlikely that it will have a good diffusion in Italy, which is not a small market.

I'm sure that will be looked at after release, when other localisations are reconsidered.

Your cold, false and arrogant answer bring your company's reputation even more shame. I really hope your game will sell ZERO in Italy, and I will make my best to make this dream come true.

S
stranger
stranger
S
E' un peccato, stavo pensando (prima dell'arrivo della notizia) che Larian fosse l'erede di BioWare, vista la qualità dei prodotti.. e forse è così, ma non trovo affatto serio l'annunciare (proprio da parte di uno dei capisaldi dell'azienda) una conferma "ASSOLUTA" durante un'intervista, per poi smentire il tutto a UN MESE dal lancio del prodotto stesso.

Non è mia consuetudine far polemica nei forum, poichè credo che non serva a nulla, ma devo esser sincero: Siete una delle software house con più talento attualmente, per quanto riguarda il genere RPG, ma state pugnalando alle spalle i vostri sostenitori Italiani. Un sincero "Non lo sappiamo" sarebbe stato più gradito.

Inoltre una Software House che ambisce in alto (sopratutto con titoli famosi IN TUTTO IL MONDO come Baldur's Gate per l'appunto), si preoccuperebbe di far arrivare ovunque il proprio prodotto. Parliamo di costi e di una mole di lavoro incredibile, ma ricordiamoci ai tempi di The Witcher 1 la CdProject, che in sostanza si è creata da sola, e fetta di mercato italiana o meno il suo nuovo prodotto (Cyberpunk 2077) che si preannuncia un titolo mastodontico a livello di linee di testo è addirittura DOPPIATO da signori attori.

Non ci aspettavamo l'audio, ma sinceramente dopo le conferme UFFICIALI mi sento preso in giro. E la cosa più triste è che mi sento preso in giro da una software house che ammiro.

Se volete potete tradurre voi stesso il mio messaggio,
se voi non vi impegnate con noi, non vedo perchè dovrei sforzarmi io a tradurre queste poche linee di testo

Last edited by Sirius_Bk; 21/08/20 10:10 AM.
stranger
stranger
Dear Larian, greetings from beautiful Italy ...

I learned with regret that BG3 will not be localized in Italian, contrary to what you announced and confirmed ...

LINK

You probably don't know that the original Baldur's Gate were localized in Italian and even Baldur's Gate 2 was also dubbed in Italian, we are talking about products from more than twenty years ago.
Today in 2020 with a millionaire budget, you ignore Italian, and ruin an entire generation of customers, because those who played Baldur's Gate as a young people are now 40 50 years old and perhaps cannot understand English well to enjoy a title like BG3.
Without an official press release but with a post on the forum you have announced this, evidently the consideration you have of the Italian market is not very high.
Why didn't you announce a few days ago during the Panel From Hell live broadcast that the game will not be in Italian? maybe you don't want to destabilize sales?

The really sad thing for me is that about a month after the launch of early access you realized that you haven't translated a line into Italian.
For 2 TIMES you have had the translation of Divinity FOR FREE from the guys of T.I.G.E.R. why didn't you contact these guys when the development of BG3 started to work together?
Are you hoping for another gift perhaps?

I also remind you that Italy is one of the first markets for the sale of D&D manuals and if that is not enough, it is the fourth market in the world for the sale of video games.

So unless you decide to change your decision, I hope that no one translates the game for you FOR FREE and that no youtuber or content creator in Italy brings BG3 gameplay.

With this I wish you a good day,

Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam
stranger
stranger
You promised to us that italian translation will be in the final game, and now you think that we will be happy without an italian translation? Larian = Liar...

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by amigOS

check GOG page !
info are incorrect

I am not sure if BG3 comes to GOG for early access. I don’t think this has been confirmed, but so far only steam and Stadia were mentioned specifically.

Last edited by Wormerine; 21/08/20 10:28 AM.
stranger
stranger
Hi Larian Team, i follow your games since Divine Divinity so i can talk about what follows with cognition. Every time, and i mean EVERY TIME, you have choosen deliberately to ignore italian language, waiting for fans to do YOUR work and then using theyr translation. THIS time there was a promise about italian localization, a promise and not a simple misunderstanding. You're not a small and newfounded studio anymore. Just for a clarification italian (after english of course) is the first language in the world for the sales of D&D manuals. This is simple something utterly discriminatory and offensive against italian's D&d fandom and italian people in general. And that's not only my point of view ! A precisation: i don't need to use google translator, luckily for me i can understand english quite well, as i can understand when a company deliberately doesnt' respect a nation. The first 2 Baldur's gate were TOTALLY localizzated in italian language, written and spoken, and it was one of the best dubbing ever made, also. In conclusion, i really hope that you'll change your mind as soon as possible, because this habit of yours is simly discriminatory (just for use an euphemism) and it has to be stopped right here, right now.

stranger
stranger
Time and resources were still put into officially adding the translations (legal, local QA, updates and fixes, general QA with updates on all platforms, etc).
I do not have the regional sales numbers, and do not know if there was a significant increase in sales due to the localisations or how the increase in sales compares to the cost of doing a full professional localisation. If it was as beneficial as you assume for D:OS, wouldn't that make an Italian localisation more likely for BG3 after release?

I know many friends (including mysef) who have bought DOS 2 after your game has been translated by TIGER, basically for free, so you received my money and my friends money aswell (underserved) for something you didn't even consider to do by yourselves.
So your "more localizations will be considered later" is basically "we either gona get italian dialogues translated for free by TIGER or some other indipendent group for free or else you can just f**k yourselves".
Keep your game, in Italy we feel so outraged right now that it is better for you that you stick to your guns and avoid italian localization completely, it is not gona sell well here anymore.

Last edited by Trynd; 21/08/20 10:45 AM.
veteran
veteran
Really bad news. It is unlikely that it will have a good diffusion in Italy, which is not a small market.

It's literally the smallest European market for anything that isn't FIFA, and by a wide margin too.
Not to mention a significant portion of the user base interested in this genre prefers to play in English rather than deal with dodgy, amateurish translations.

Last edited by Tuco; 21/08/20 10:48 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by pbrosio
https://www.ilmessaggero.it/tecnolo...ia_quarto_mercato_in_europa-3680383.html

DATEVE LE PIZZE NFACCIA (ora traducetelo o fatevelo tradurre da qualcuno aggratise)

You are just embarrassing yourself, at this point.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Tuco
Really bad news. It is unlikely that it will have a good diffusion in Italy, which is not a small market.

It's literally the smallest European market for anything that isn't FIFA, and by a wide margin too.
Not to mention a significant portion of the user base interested in this genre prefers to play in English rather than deal with dodgy, amateurish translations.

It seems you know italian players like a fisherman knows nuclear energy.

A whole community is outraged, and not only for the missing localization itself or for the false promises, but also for the implicit exploitation of workers and the discrimination of the community.

trust me, YOU are embarassing yourself by this ridicolous try to be a unrequested attorney.

Support
Support
Originally Posted by Dark Legend
No, it's just a business choice

There are multiple reasons plans can change or content be cut, including business reasons, technical limitations, lack of time or resources if earlier development takes longer than expected, balancing reasons, features not working as expected, changes to game design, etc.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Made $85 Million In Revenue, According To SuperData, I don't think a few thousand Euros for a professional localization will get you down...
D:OS2 had a total of 90K strings of text and 14 months of work ( in our free time, we all have another work for eat ).

Even if SuperData is accurate, the cost of localising wasn't the primary consideration with the cutoff on which languages to do initially. Also, Larian doesn't still have the entirety of revenue made by D:OS 2; there are continuing expenses, taxes, etc for D:OS 2 and BG3 development, offices, etc.
A professional translation of the early Access content would take about 4 months. Typical rates for a good quality translations are US$.09 to .13 per word, depending on language.

Now you tell us the only first part is 46K and "wouldn't that make an Italian localisation more likely for BG3 after release?".
So you think that if in italy the game is purchased Larian might think about doing the location?
Answers: few sales without location at launch, so bye bye italian.

My point was that if the Italian localisation boosted the sales of D:OS 2 significantly, there would be a baseline for comparison of the BG3 sales numbers, and presumably a relatively accurate estimate for the effect of a BG3 localisation.

it was better to answer "at the moment we are not sure if Italian is understood among the languages at the launch".

At that moment, though, that was not the case. The intention at the time was to continue supporting the same localisations as D:OS 2.
There are practical limitations that can force a change of plans (especially very early plans). Caveats should of course be given when there is uncertainty, but limitations and required changes can be unexpected.

More coverage does not always mean more profit

That is true. While the cost of localising vs the expected demand for the applicable language is a factor in localising, it is not the only factor in determining how many languages could be supported for the initial release of the game.

Originally Posted by daniloursen
What a disrespectful answer from LARIAN to all theirs Italian supporters.

What are you referring to? I have not been disrespectful.

Originally Posted by amigOS
check GOG page !
info are incorrect

This will be corrected when the page can be updated.

Your cold, false and arrogant answer bring your company's reputation even more shame.

Nothing I wrote was false or arrogant. As for cold: I checked on the situation, reported back and tried to explain the situation and the development process. If that is unacceptable, I fail to see how getting emotional would help.

I really hope your game will sell ZERO in Italy, and I will make my best to make this dream come true.

If you were to be slightly more "cold" you might consider if that would make an Italian localisation more or less likely after release.

veteran
veteran

It seems you know italian players like a fisherman knows nuclear energy.

A whole community is outraged, and not only for the missing localization itself or for the false promises, but also for the implicit exploitation of workers and the discrimination of the community.

trust me, YOU are embarassing yourself by this ridicolous try to be a unrequested attorney.

I *am* an italian player who's been into RPGs for the biggest part of his 42 years of life so far.
And yes, I know what I'm talking about, this "A WHOLE COMMUNITY IS OUTRAGED" is comparable to the "There are DOZENS of us!" meme, it's a "whole community" made by a laughably low number of players compared to any other market in Europe.
Even Poland alone outsizes us by a *wide* margin in terms of RPG enthusiasts.

And about the "exploitation of workers" here's my advice: don't translate shit for free. No one is asking you to, anyway.
Also, NO, just because I state few cold hard facts I'm not "embarrassing myself" more than a guy who's spitting rabid insults targeted at the developers as if he was literally entitled to anything from their part.

Last edited by Tuco; 21/08/20 11:27 AM.

journeyman
journeyman

Your cold, false and arrogant answer bring your company's reputation even more shame.

Nothing I wrote was false or arrogant. As for cold: I checked on the situation, reported back and tried to explain the situation and the development process. If that is unacceptable, I fail to see how getting emotional would help.

I really hope your game will sell ZERO in Italy, and I will make my best to make this dream come true.

If you were to be slightly more "cold" you might consider if that would make an Italian localisation more or less likely after release.

It is false that you dont rely on the free work of italian translators community, it seems so clear looking at past experiences.

And I actually don't care if selling zero would give us less chanche to see the title localized in Italian. I don't want to play (again) a game localized in italian FOR FREE just because you won't spend some thousand euros that would be FOR SURE covered by the increased sells. By now is more important that your company lose as many profit as possible, even if it means I will never play this game, that I was waiting for so many time but, hey, ethic is more important than fun.

I wish many unpayed jobs in your future

Last edited by Squesing; 21/08/20 12:24 PM.
Page 3 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 25 26

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard