Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#672553 22/08/20 12:03 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Please give the option to make it less intrusive , duration/different color/transparency/position/etc , in the intellect devourer video i found it very annoying for example.

veteran
veteran
I definitely need an option to disable this feature.
I can handle that fan service is good at some point and that some poeple like it but every computer RPGs players don't want to experience the illusion of a tabletop simulator game.

These screens and rolls are totally intrusive and breaks the flow of dialogs...
This "gameplay experience" just suck to me and totally break my immersion.

I don't care to roll the dice myself and to read a message that tell me it's a sucess or not... The consequences of my choices are supposed to give me this information.

Just throw the dice as you do in combat and give me the results in the log...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 22/08/20 12:21 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
addict
I’m on the fence myself as to whether I like it so much at the fore, I think given a choice it would be nice if we could toggle an option in the menus between as is, smaller and bottom right of screen, or just in logs.

Also the whole animation is quite slow. I appreciate its to symbolize the rolling, but with the fade in, roll, etc... it feels a little sluggish.

Might think differently once I get to play, but from the videos so far those would be my thoughts.

addict
addict
The only reason I can see for presenting the die roll this way is if you can choose to cancel, once you see the target number. Otherwise, for me at least, I'd be happier to just see a pass/fail indicator, and get on with the dialog.

Less intrusive display would also be better, but I get that PnP players may like it the way it is.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

I can handle that fan service is good at some point and that some poeple like it

That’s not a fan service, that’s UI feedback communicating game mechanics. Still, it is heavy handed, though fully appropriate considering the mechanics. If possible having an option to disable or minimise it wouldn’t hurt.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by etonbears
The only reason I can see for presenting the die roll this way is if you can choose to cancel, once you see the target number. Otherwise, for me at least, I'd be happier to just see a pass/fail indicator, and get on with the dialog.

Less intrusive display would also be better, but I get that PnP players may like it the way it is.

I agree, having the DC needed to make the check information is very useful, but the die roll itself is very annoying. So I would very much like an option toggle to get rid of the die roller altogether, but while still providing me with the DC check information in some other way.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine

I can handle that fan service is good at some point and that some poeple like it

That’s not a fan service, that’s UI feedback communicating game mechanics. Still, it is heavy handed, though fully appropriate considering the mechanics. If possible having an option to disable or minimise it wouldn’t hurt.

If you have to clic, wait, read the results and clic again it's not only about UI communicating game mechanics.
Should they add this to combats then ?

I absolutely don't find it appropriate because I'm looking for a video game experience, not a tabletop experience...
No one asked this kind of things in any previous games where there are rolls because it's not a good way to teach rules (after 20 rolls, everyone is going to click, click, click to fast the process).
That doesn't mean the idea can't pleased many players, I'm open minded but I guess it's definitely fan service.

Originally Posted by etonbears

I agree it's important to have all informations before you have to choose.
There are plenty solutions to tell the targets number and what you'll roll without such a screen.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 22/08/20 03:01 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
addict
I absolutely don't find it appropriate because I'm looking for a video game experience, not a tabletop experience...

Isn't that what Larian is trying to do, though? Bring the table top experience to a video game format?

Btw, I agree that there should be an option to toggle off the dice rolls. I can myself appreciating it at first, but possibly getting tired of it. Maybe. But that's what EA is for.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Emrikol

Isn't that what Larian is trying to do, though? Bring the table top experience to a video game format?

Btw, I agree that there should be an option to toggle off the dice rolls. I can myself appreciating it at first, but possibly getting tired of it. Maybe. But that's what EA is for.

That's also what every tabletop based video games did...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 22/08/20 03:02 PM.

addict
addict
I didn't mean to imply that they are the first to attempt/do it. Perhaps I should instead say that they are attempting to bring the TT experience to video games in a better, deeper, and more thorough way than has been done before.

addict
addict
I didn't mean to imply that they are the first to attempt/do it. Perhaps I should instead say that they are attempting to bring the TT experience to video games in a better, deeper, and more thorough way than has been done before.

I'm pretty sure visible die rolling was just an internal suggestion they thought would be funky! It would obviously please some players ( seemed quite popular during the gameplay reveal ) more than others. But they don't use it every time you roll during combat, and I suspect ( like you ) that the novelty will become a drag at some point.

addict
addict
I get the idea of seeing dice rolls, since that is what happens on a table top game. Maybe a "quickroll" option, where you just see a die already cast with the number rolled, instead of a distinct window and the animation of the roll.

addict
addict
Here's my ( not entirely serious ! ) suggestion for funky dice roll indications during combat...

As a player/enemy chooses an action, the appropriate hit and damage dice appear above the player/enemy head, spinning around, and whirling around the head like ioun stones. As the player/enemy animation resolves the action, the dice come to rest above the player/enemy and gently expand so that you can see the results, then burst or fade away.

OK, I'll get my coat...

addict
addict
I get the idea of seeing dice rolls, since that is what happens on a table top game. Maybe a "quickroll" option, where you just see a die already cast with the number rolled, instead of a distinct window and the animation of the roll.

Yes, I get the idea of bringing the log to life a bit more. It's not a bad idea, but the full dice rolling might just be a bit of an over-reaction to hidden rolls, so something more in the middle, or as you say, allow options.

veteran
veteran

Not a terrible idea. I would welcome a quick dice roll without having to ender the whole dedicated UI overlay. However, as I just poined out in a differend thread on the same subject it might be so visible as the game doesn't reveal odds to succeed beforehand. If it is something that will get annoying as players play for extended amount of time, then it will come up in EA.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Something I will likely never see but love to have anyway: physics based dice roll. It would make the gameplay feel more alive to me!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lotrotk
Something I will likely never see but love to have anyway: physics based dice roll. It would make the gameplay feel more alive to me!

That would be amazing.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard