Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MGB Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hello,

One of the most fascinating fantasy creatures detailed in classic fantasy literature is the Unicorn.

However, I never experienced a board AD&D campaign (GENCON or Comic-Con) outside of "Neverwinter" that allowed a player character to befriend one of these majestic mounts.

I've read and understand the mythology that only a virgin woman of good character can win the heart of a Unicorn. Most dungeon masters I talk to do not want to deal with these types of idiosyncrasies and believe Unicorn's befit player characters of high level due to their power.

My question to the Baldur's Gate III development team is; can a Neutral Good - Woman (Human, Elf, Half-Elf, or Half-Drow) Warlock with Pact of the Chain - Bound to the Old Ones, use the Find Familiar spell to obtain the Unicorn mount??

Or, must she settle for the Neutral Good - Pseudo Dragon??

I know there are some who feel the Drow or other races should also have this possibility. I know there are some who believe other classes (like Druid or Ranger) should have this possibility.

I understand and please feel free to make your opinion known. Please know my question is formed from the history of stories I've read about Unicorns and respects all players who love the game.

I hope there is at least a path to obtain a Unicorn in the future for Baldur's Gate 3...

-MGB

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by MGB
One of the most fascinating fantasy creatures detailed in classic fantasy literature is the Unicorn.

I don't think I have ever encountered Unicorn outside my little pony and blade runner. Corny stuff like that, though works only if you make fun of it. Like in Witcher!
https://youtu.be/4dXP7d10X0w?t=113

veteran
veteran
Oh, no my little pony. I have a @_@... with it. It´s enough that we have a shadowheart ingame.

Now seriously, you can pick an unicorn as your patron as a celestial warlock. I do not know if it would let you mount it, but there are plenty of puns about your "horny" patron that you can do.

Mechanically speaking, a unicorn is a CR5 creature with legendary actions, so it would be very powerful and may require to tone it down.

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Unicorn#content

Either way, RAW you can only get this as your familiar,
Normal Spell:

You gain the service of a familiar, a spirit that takes an animal form you choose: bat, cat, crab, frog (toad), hawk, lizard, octopus, owl, poisonous snake, fish (quipper), rat, raven, sea horse, spider, or weasel.

Special Pact of the Chain:

When you cast the spell, you can choose one of the normal forms for your familiar or one of the following special forms: imp, pseudodragon, quasit, or sprite.

Ed: I forgot, following Volo´s book (if your DM allows it, with I do for example) you can add a cranium rat, a crawling claw, a gazer,... I do not know if Larian will include something outside the PHB.

but you can get it from another source. i.e-> You do not need to summon one to get a mount. Usually you can try handle animal, buy it, convince one to join you, even using spells like "Awaken" if you´re a bard or druid, etc.

Last edited by _Vic_; 22/08/20 11:33 PM.
Banned
Banned
I hate my little pony. So no thanks.

veteran
veteran
If not, you can simply ride the four-legged brain!

[Linked Image]

N
old hand
old hand
N
Each time I read unicorn now, there is only one line coming back to my mind: "PS: I still have the unicorn". Thank you CDPR...

S
veteran
veteran
S
this forum never surprises me with its threads about oddly specific, strange requests

veteran
veteran

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard