Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I'm so excited to play Early Access (can't bring myself to shorten it to EA... every time I see EA I get scared for a moment that people are talking about Electronic Arts) but something that has been hinted at for a while and confirmed in the Panel from Hell is that Descent into Avernus plays some part in BG3. For a while we had heard that Descent serves as a prequel to BG3 which got me very excited because my friends and I just started playing that module. Seeing as it is an adventure for characters level 1-13 and we are level 2 currently... and only play bi-weekly there's obviously no way we're going to finish it before early access starts.

What worries me is the potential for spoilers for the module in the brief glimpse of the story we will get in early access. For example, I had to quickly mute the stream when Adam started discussing the city of Elturel because at the point where my party is... all we know is that the city has 'disappeared' according to Captian Zodge, acting commander of the Flaming Fist. It seemed as though Adam might reveal what was going on with the city on stream.

The nature of adventure modules and D&D in general is obviously one of fluidity and dynamic storytelling. The module isn't a video game where the endings are clearly defined and can end in a certain number of ways, I get that. I doubt BG3 will tell the player, "oh by the way, a group of adventurers came through Avernus and THIS happened, isn't that crazy!" But there is a small part of me that's concerned about what may get revealed about the Avernus module to someone who is currently playing it.

I hear that the game devs browse the sub... can anyone weigh in on this? How heavily will Avernus play into the early parts of the game? Will there be moments where people who want a spoiler free experience for the module should plug their ears and sing through cutscenes?

Regardless, very very excited to get my hands on it and kiss some goblin feet..... I mean kill monsters yeah.... kill monsters.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm in a similar position myself, I was also on Descent when Covid struck and now I have to wait untile the pandemic has passed before I can continue on that one.
I can't say that I heard any spoilers, except that for BG3 they had to pick one of the possible endings for that storyline, and that we will come across countless refugees from the events that happened in Elturel...
So yes, I would also like to know the extent of that. Though at some point it was mentioned that the story of BG3 is focussed on the Mind Flayers, and not that of Descent into Avernus.

veteran
veteran
Any references in Baldur's Gate 3 to DiA is based on what Larian considers to be the canon ending, so either way any spoilers would be partial. Chances are your ending will be a different one.

veteran
veteran
The DiA module has many outcomes. Heck, the secret of the party at the start is even different for every party!. That if your DM doesn´t include some twists of his own in your game.
Unless you´re very unlucky that You´re just following the same direction and you´re just in the middle of something the week of the EA just before your next game that could be revealed in the rumors of someone talking about in the game just this time... I think you´re good.

enthusiast
enthusiast
We know that Elturel was saved. How it was saved, is up to our imaginations. We will be dealing with the aftermath and consequences of this event, and hopefully, they will keep any important decisions made in the adventure path vague.

Evil always finds a way.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by The Composer
Any references in Baldur's Gate 3 to DiA is based on what Larian considers to be the canon ending, so either way any spoilers would be partial. Chances are your ending will be a different one.

So that means that references to DiA are only related to the beginning and the/an end, without going into details about the adventures a party may have had during that campaign? Only the main thread of DiA is what we'll get to hear?

N
old hand
old hand
N
I would suggest not playing EA until, as a player, you have moved into the second act. Because afterwards, the setting is pretty much obvious and the twists in the plot are rather related to the entities you meet. As for the ending, the only one spoiled will be the one chosen by Larian for their own world.

Last edited by Nyanko; 25/08/20 09:41 PM.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard