Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#673615 30/08/20 09:50 PM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I have many friends and campaigns who like to play goblins especially after critical rolls Nott came out it could also use Divinity original sin 2 hide face mechanic they did with undead if to add to the lore of goblins not allowed in town i think the be a fun race to add to the roster and seeing how much personality with goblins was shown like crusher the game does an amazing job with them maybe the other goblins would treat a fellow goblin player nicer but humans might treat them worse

[Linked Image]
journeyman
journeyman
I just feel like there are so many other races that 5e fans would like to see other than goblin that goblin would always be seen as a waste of time as a PC race. If the goblins made it in and Aasimar, Goliath or Dragonborn didn't, for example, I think people would be quite irritated. I know I would, at least.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
they could do as dlc or so i meant mainly as a race that bring something different to the table such as having to hide their identity in citys or towns like the undead had to in Divinity Original Sin the Aasimar and Dragonborn are nice and more races or better i just think it be cool if certain races did diffrent things for playing em like kobolds would like you less if your Dragonborn ect...

Last edited by dragonuff; 30/08/20 10:52 PM.

[Linked Image]
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by dragonuff
they could do as dlc

Larian have never been big on DLC, so if it's not there, it's not going to be there. I mean unless someone mods it in, which will (presumably) be a thing.

J'aime le fromage.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by vometia
they could do as dlc

Larian have never been big on DLC, so if it's not there, it's not going to be there. I mean unless someone mods it in, which will (presumably) be a thing.

Hate your posting.

Larian has also not been a fan of story, or finishing their video games. So you know. There's that also.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Quiltsharts ^_^
Originally Posted by vometia
they could do as dlc

Hate your posting.

Larian has also not been a fan of story, or finishing their video games. So you know. There's that also.

While I may agree that Larian's stories have left a lot to be desired, I don't know what you mean about finishing their games? Their games are most certainly finished.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Annyliese
While I may agree that Larian's stories have left a lot to be desired, I don't know what you mean about finishing their games? Their games are most certainly finished.

Possibly a reference to Ego Draconis, whose release was enforced by the publisher before the final chapter was done, hence Flames of Vengeance (and later reviewed and released together as DKS).

Both DOS and DOS2 had a post-release revamp, though it's arguable whether that implies that the original releases were unfinished.

Not that any of this is particularly relevant to this discussion.

J'aime le fromage.
stranger
stranger
It's relevant because your excuse of "Larian does this" is a moot point because what Larian does is questionable at best. Remember, sometimes you're just arguing with people who can't argue. It's time to stop.

Last edited by Quiltsharts ^_^; 31/08/20 11:06 AM.
veteran
veteran
Remember, sometimes you're just arguing with people who can't argue. It's time to stop.

Very good advice. Let's take it to heart and follow it. Please focus the discussion back onto the OP's topic of Goblins being awesome.

Last edited by The Composer; 31/08/20 11:17 AM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by The Composer
Remember, sometimes you're just arguing with people who can't argue. It's time to stop.

Very good advice. Let's take it to heart and follow it. Please focus the discussion back onto the OP's topic of Goblins being awesome.

We've already had this thread.

veteran
veteran
Doesn't matter if similar threads have existed before, thread hijacking results in moderation becoming necessary. Follow your own advice, so that further moderation won't be necessary. Thank you.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by The Composer

Thank you Composer i too believe goblins are awesome they are great rouges and having one in a party is always interesting because they try to hide their identitys so as to not be hunted by most guards sometimes have sticky fingers that get them in trouble and the hide face mechanic from DOS2 would fit them perfectly as a loveable but hated race

[Linked Image]
veteran
veteran
I could see a Goblin as a unique origin character, less as custom character race - as custom characters are to hail from Baldur's Gate, and from my poor understanding of DnD lore, that seems like an unlikely place for a goblin to be from.

Personally, I found "hide face" mechnaics in D:OS2 rather underwhelming. Cool detail, but too easily made irrelevant unless ones makes effort to not wear items. Face-changing mask was neat though.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
they could be from crusher`s tribe displaced or cave luckily goblins have been in baldur gate since the beginning and are common in faerun so custom goblins could fit in too since mind flayers dont care what race you are just that they can turn you into one of them face changing masks would be great as a goal a goblin player would like to get ahold of or a origin goblin has as a scavenged item they found

[Linked Image]
veteran
veteran
There are already races not from baldur´s gate, like gith and drow. I do not think that would be an issue.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by _Vic_
There are already races not from baldur´s gate, like gith and drow. I do not think that would be an issue.

You are correct. I kinda assumed that gith will be exclusive to the origin. I checked the demo and it is clearly not the case. Which makes me worried again about custom characters, but that is another thread entirely.

veteran
veteran
I hope they do not use copypaste dialogues like in IWD or NWN2, where they refer at Duergar, drow, svirfneblin or races outside the Human reings as "Underdark dweller" instead of a different dialogue for every race... =p

I mean, Githyankis would have little in common with the underdark races in... uh,... everything besides despising mindflayers, I think.

Last edited by _Vic_; 31/08/20 08:07 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
I hope they do not use copypaste dialogues like in IWD or NWN2, where they refer at Duergar, drow, svirfneblin or races outside the Human reings as "Underdark dweller" instead of a different dialogue for every race... =p

I mean, Githyankis would have little in common with the underdark races in... uh,... everything besides despising mindflayers, I think.

I agree, giving the unusual race options is pretty hollow (feels tacked on, even) if in dialogue it makes no mention of it. This is why I think those races should just be avoided.

On Drow, however, they're not as taboo as they once were. They can safely and actively trade in the city of Baldur's Gate for example.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

I agree, giving the unusual race options is pretty hollow (feels tacked on, even) if in dialogue it makes no mention of it. This is why I think those races should just be avoided.

On Drow, however, they're not as taboo as they once were. They can safely and actively trade in the city of Baldur's Gate for example.

Drow were taboo to play because they were a “monster race.” It's hard to imagine it today in 5E, but back when TSR was holding the D&D license you generally didn't get to play monster races. You could only create characters from the “good races” (halflings, elves, dwarves and humans). Luckily we have evolved as players and dms past this mind set and can find interesting ways to implement them in the game Volo's Guide to Monsters added great races such as Goblin, Aasimar, Triton, Lizardfolk ect...

[Linked Image]
journeyman
journeyman

Drow were taboo to play because they were a “monster race.” It's hard to imagine it today in 5E, but back when TSR was holding the D&D license you generally didn't get to play monster races. You could only create characters from the “good races” (halflings, elves, dwarves and humans). Luckily we have evolved as players and dms past this mind set and can find interesting ways to implement them in the game Volo's Guide to Monsters added great races such as Goblin, Aasimar, Triton, Lizardfolk ect...

Drow graduated because of popularity. Goblins are getting more popular, but they are still just a low-level enemy, and haven't seen such a surge in popularity as to justify them being something like a PHB option now.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard