Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
veteran
veteran
Goblins are an option in Pathfinder 2e as a core playable race, like Leshys. Just for the record, they´re still green. Very fun to play too.

Last edited by _Vic_; 31/08/20 10:20 PM.
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Annyliese
Originally Posted by dragonuff
Originally Posted by _Vic_
I hope they do not use copypaste dialogues like in IWD or NWN2, where they refer at Duergar, drow, svirfneblin or races outside the Human reings as "Underdark dweller" instead of a different dialogue for every race... =p

I mean, Githyankis would have little in common with the underdark races in... uh,... everything besides despising mindflayers, I think.

I agree, giving the unusual race options is pretty hollow (feels tacked on, even) if in dialogue it makes no mention of it. This is why I think those races should just be avoided.

On Drow, however, they're not as taboo as they once were. They can safely and actively trade in the city of Baldur's Gate for example.

Drow were taboo to play because they were a “monster race.” It's hard to imagine it today in 5E, but back when TSR was holding the D&D license you generally didn't get to play monster races. You could only create characters from the “good races” (halflings, elves, dwarves and humans). Luckily we have evolved as players and dms past this mind set and can find interesting ways to implement them in the game Volo's Guide to Monsters added great races such as Goblin, Aasimar, Triton, Lizardfolk ect...

Drow graduated because of popularity. Goblins are getting more popular, but they are still just a low-level enemy, and haven't seen such a surge in popularity as to justify them being something like a PHB option now.

I feel thats more of your opinion then a statement of fact seeing as the only races in the PHB are dwarf, elf, halfling, human, dragonborn, gnome, half-elf, half-orc, and tiefling but that doesnt mean we should shy ourselfs from other great races we have drow and githyankis you yourself want aasimer and due to D&D streams of critical roll and anime such as Overlord,Goblin Slayer and How i got reincarned into a slime Goblins have one of the fastest rising fan bases I dont think they should be removed or dismissed because you personally dislike them keeping a open mind and not being biased is what makes this community and this company one of the greatest in my opinion

[Linked Image]
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by dragonuff

I feel thats more of your opinion then a statement of fact seeing as the only races in the PHB are dwarf, elf, halfling, human, dragonborn, gnome, half-elf, half-orc, and tiefling but that doesnt mean we should shy ourselfs from other great races we have drow and githyankis you yourself want aasimer and due to D&D streams of critical roll and anime such as Overlord,Goblin Slayer and How i got reincarned into a slime Goblins have one of the fastest rising fan bases I dont think they should be removed or dismissed because you personally dislike them keeping a open mind and not being biased is what makes this community and this company one of the greatest in my opinion

Drow are also a PHB option. However nothing I've said about goblins has been my opinion, yet. My *opinion* about goblins and those that play them is that they're unhealthy for a game. The player wants the NPCs to focus around them, either with them being an oddity or something to always be looking for. It's snowflake-ish, and I greatly despise when a player tries to pull something like that. It can ruin enjoyment for other players.

However, in the Forgotten Realms, goblins are low-level enemies. They are, at their core, something for low-level adventurers to face without recourse. An enemy that no one bats an eye for the loss of. Drow were this, at one point, and have since been written differently. This wasn't an opinion, it was a recollection of D&D's history. There is no precedent for a goblin adventurer in a long, serious campaign.

Last edited by Annyliese; 31/08/20 10:42 PM.
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

But how is you statement about goblins any different then the way people felt about Drow at one point yes its easy for adventurers to slaughter goblin tribes as low level adventurers but they are just that tribes they have culture, religion, ways of doing things and how they treat themselves or others its one thing to kill a creature and go that was a mindless beast its another to build on the world when you realize those things you always considered monsters think have familys feel laugh and kill like most other races

Last edited by dragonuff; 31/08/20 11:05 PM.

[Linked Image]
journeyman
journeyman
Goblins aren't meant to be empathized with. They weren't designed to be a playable, relatable race - and they still haven't been given that status. Drow were.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Goblins aren't meant to be empathized with. They weren't designed to be a playable, relatable race - and they still haven't been given that status. Drow were.

expect goblins are playable in 5e they have character race and stats skill guides to build them and classes to recommend with them if you dont empathized with them then that is personal people enjoy Drow beacuse they are evil elves people enjoy goblins because they are evil gnomes if you dont like them then dont play them but many people do The core of D&D is storytelling. You and your friends tell a story together, guiding your heroes through quests for treasure, battles with deadly foes, daring rescues, courtly intrigue, and much more. All the more reason to add them whether you love or hate them, everyone reacts strongly to well developed goblins. You hate them? Great they are there to exterminate. You love them? Great they are their to play as and recruit to travel with they are already within the game with likable personality's so why not as a choice to be one

[Linked Image]
journeyman
journeyman
The difference is that Volo's races are noted specifically, still, as monstrous races. They aren't meant to be in the same 'roster' for an average campaign. Any DM can run a game as they wish, but BG3 is representing 5e in its first video game. To misrepresent the lore by allowing goblins as a standard race would be a strange move, imo.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
The difference is that Volo's races are noted specifically, still, as monstrous races. They aren't meant to be in the same 'roster' for an average campaign. Any DM can run a game as they wish, but BG3 is representing 5e in its first video game. To misrepresent the lore by allowing goblins as a standard race would be a strange move, imo.

Well seeing as BG3 is useing the Volo`s for the mind flayer transfermations and lore as one of those monstrous races adventurers why not the others I mean page 73 has the tad pool picture they use so volo`s is already a big source for the game why not the 15 playable races people love from the book in the game like i said if you dont like them you dont have to play them or recruit them but many do play as goblins and their clearly is a desire for them or they wouldnt of added them as a playable race Creating characters as creatures normally cast as villains offers up some interesting roleplaying possibilities.
Whether played for comedy, as a tragic story of betrayal
and loss, or as an antihero, a monstrous character gives
a player a chance to take on an unusual challenge in
the campaign some might like the challenge some might like the story so i dont thin its a strange move at all, imo

[Linked Image]
journeyman
journeyman
It's a bit more involved than just not liking them, but I wasn't really here to argue, just to present my opinion on the matter. Until we know for sure if they intend to make goblins playable or not, I can only say 'please don't'.

Support
Support
Originally Posted by vometia
Possibly a reference to Ego Draconis, whose release was enforced by the publisher before the final chapter was done, hence Flames of Vengeance.

Actually, there was some content originally planned for D2:ED that was moved to the add-on, but the add-on itself was planned in advance.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Raze
Actually, there was some content originally planned for D2:ED that was moved to the add-on, but the add-on itself was planned in advance.

Oh, I'd assumed it was just the unfinished-and-unreleased Chapter 4: certainly the ending of the original ED was a bit, "er, what just happened?!" I vaguely recall the stuff about the outskirts of Aleroth being planned and then scrapped (and there's also a screenshot of some countryside featuring a signpost to Verdistis, but I presume that was just promotional material for ED's release) but hadn't realised any of it was for an add-on. Was that another thing mandated by the publisher?

J'aime le fromage.
Support
Support

Not to get too far off topic, but there was indeed more planned for the add-on, including a Broken Valley type region. Given the time and resources available, it was decided the game as a whole needed more of a city hub with quests than another open area with exploration, so that region was cut.
The screenshot with the signpost was from a test level early in the development process.
I liked the D2:ED ending, actually.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
... there was indeed more planned for the add-on, including a Broken Valley type region. Given the time and resources available, it was decided the game as a whole needed more of a city hub with quests than another open area with exploration, so that region was cut.
The screenshot with the signpost was from a test level early in the development process.

Pity, we need more Broken Valley type regions! My one criticism of ED is that I wanted more places to explore. And I eventually found the screenshot (I thought I had it squirrelled away somewhere, but apparently not) and found a bunch of other demo things that seemed to be mostly set in a proto-Broken Valley. Which I guess, similar to the Broken/Mended Drum, would've just been The Valley at the time.

:o

We'll never see its like again. I hope.

Not to get too far off topic

Er, quite; some people are too disruptive. I'll just go and ban myself for a week. biggrin

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

Not to get too far off topic, but there was indeed more planned for the add-on, including a Broken Valley type region. Given the time and resources available, it was decided the game as a whole needed more of a city hub with quests than another open area with exploration, so that region was cut.

Do you believe baldur's gate 3 will plan to have dlc races or if they did add new races it would be a free update

[Linked Image]
Support
Support

No DLC has been announced; whether any DLC would be free or not would depend on the extent of the content. Right now the focus is on the game itself, though, and it is a little early to speculate on that.

S
veteran
veteran
S
>TSR
>Monster races not playable

Lizardmen were playable in ADnD.
Mystara had a whole section of weird ass races.

It was specifically drow who werent playable because they were always chaotic evil.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Sordak
>TSR
>Monster races not playable

Lizardmen were playable in ADnD.
Mystara had a whole section of weird ass races.

It was specifically drow who werent playable because they were always chaotic evil.

Thank you I was mainly trying to tell Annyliese that goblins can be a viable race to play and its how you build the character because some people like to be the villain or anti hero in a story with Baulders Gate 3 giving the freedom to not have to be a good guy your free to choice Good, Evil or somewhere in between I think theyd fit right in the roster

[Linked Image]
S
veteran
veteran
S
honestly goblins will probably be modded in.
i dont see em beeing playable because of their role in the story.

But 4chan is already filled to the brim with Coomers demadning Goblin Titties, so its gonna happen inevitably.
Even pathfinder has a mod that makes goblins playable, among other monster races like that one unreleased one i made myself come to think of it...

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
You can have lawful good goblins, you can have chaotic evil Firbolg. They're just extremely rare. There are a few rare examples however. ... As many have said the goblin would be much more likely to pretend to be good until it had a way to escape. Seeing as the mind flayers dont care where your from they could find themselves in the same boat as the other pc having to team up out of necessity goblins are playable in 5e and pathfinder 2e as a core race and if people only thing for not having them is they will be modded in doesnt that show that their are people who want then and are forced to take it apon themselves to make it on their own since a company wont with Baulders Gate 3 we have a chance to have ture freedom of character like we come to know and love in D&D

[Linked Image]
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/14 someone made a mod for all us goblin fans

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard