Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
veteran
veteran
S
>5e gives you freedom
5e is lazy.

you always had the freedom to do whatever you wanted, id wager the majority of DMs do homebrew worlds.
What 5e does is pump out worthless content thats just rehashed from older edition. Case in point: the eberron book.
Basically a reprint from the 4e one, the entire new "content" was player character options.

But for a DM wanting to run eberron? Nothing new.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Annyliese
They are good abilities, but they aren't indicative of an increase in narrative power, which is what I thought you were getting at? Or is this just one of those situations where you'll decide whether you care about only 5e, only 2e or only the lore based on whether it fits a vague argument against capping the level before 20?

5e is not good as 2e but is not bad. Mainly considering that 5e aims to be accessible as possible and is undeniable a success in that regard.

And I an not suggesting lv cap = 20. I mean, an Elder Brain CR is 14. LV cap = 12/13/14 would be more manageable.

journeyman
journeyman
I think I'm just super confused about the discussion, then. Personally I don't think an Elder Brain is our end game enemy, I don't think the illithid are the puppet masters in this play - but I do think 12-14 is a good range for the size of campaign they seem to want to make.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by _Vic_

I think that title goes to Siege of Dragonspear, for a long margin...

Granted, and agreed actually. I wasn't considering it when I posted that.

I disagree. SoD is far from being the turd that everybody makes it out to be. In fact, I've found ToB, for what it's supposed to be (the conclusion of an epic saga) to be less satisfying than SoD, and way more rushed.

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Your character is not a character until level 3 IMO. I think you should finish the tutorial at 3.

Honestly, I'm okay with fast-tracking levels 3 and 4 to get to 5. Low levels are fine for storytelling, but character options are so limited is not that much fun from a gameplay standpoint.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gt27mustang
Originally Posted by _Vic_

I think that title goes to Siege of Dragonspear, for a long margin...

Granted, and agreed actually. I wasn't considering it when I posted that.

I disagree. SoD is far from being the turd that everybody makes it out to be. In fact, I've found ToB, for what it's supposed to be (the conclusion of an epic saga) to be less satisfying than SoD, and way more rushed.

I agree. smile

journeyman
journeyman
For what it's worth, I agree that ToB was less satisfying than SoD - but I also feel like SoD added next to nothing to the depth of the tale itself. For something meant to bridge the gap between BG2 and BG1, it missed its mark for me. I totally understand valuing SoD higher than ToB.

I'm not particularly fond of either of them, though.

W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
I think the criticisms of ToB are valid, but I still had a lot of fun with it. Even if it was a bit rushed, for me it feels like everything is rapidly escalating towards the big final climatic encounter, so thematically it works. There are also some really fun encounters.

I haven't tried SoD yet. I am not sure if I ever will. I don't need an interim chapter between BG 1 and 2. I have had so long to head canon that period of my Bhaalspawn's life, I don't really want anything that contradicts that.

If Beamdog ever made a completely new, unrelated FR series using the Infinity Engine, I would almost certainly buy that instead. That would actually be pretty cool. I am generally not into retro gaming, but I find that the IE games have aged well. I could play a new one.

addict
addict
Why people keep bringing ToB?

1 - ToB was rushed and a lv 18+ campaign should't happen in the "realms of humans", they should made a demon who wanna ascend to godhood luring every bhaalspawn to his layer on abyss and a campaign where you need to deal with a demon lord and other bhaalspawm. That would be amazing.

2 - Larian is talking about raising lv cap a little, to maybe 12 or 13. After DLC's, maybe 15. Not to 20. And unless Larian raises the lv cap to 20 AND homebrew rules similar to epic levels(3.5e) or mythic paths(pf1e), any mention to ToB is irrelevant. Hell, probably Shadows of Amn will have a far greater lv cap than BG3.

3 - I get why so many people who prefer low level are disappointed. We don't have a low level focused D&D adaptation to PC since ToEE. Pathfinder Kingmaker was except by the first chapter not a low level campaing. And now, we will gonna get a even more epic campaign where the PC's can even become a Lich(wrath of the righteous). But Solasta will maintain the lv cap = 10 and be turn based 5e. Is just not a official D&D game. Only uses D&D rules.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Warlocke
I think the criticisms of ToB are valid, but I still had a lot of fun with it. Even if it was a bit rushed, for me it feels like everything is rapidly escalating towards the big final climatic encounter, so thematically it works. There are also some really fun encounters.

I haven't tried SoD yet. I am not sure if I ever will. I don't need an interim chapter between BG 1 and 2. I have had so long to head canon that period of my Bhaalspawn's life, I don't really want anything that contradicts that.

If Beamdog ever made a completely new, unrelated FR series using the Infinity Engine, I would almost certainly buy that instead. That would actually be pretty cool. I am generally not into retro gaming, but I find that the IE games have aged well. I could play a new one.

I disliked ToB, but it was precisely for the reason that I very strongly prefer lower level games and not because of any quality issues with ToB. I just simply start losing interest in a game once the characters in the game (PC, companions, NPCs) become god-like (and this has been true for all games: the DA games, TES games, Witcher, everything).

As a sidenote for you, Beamdog has very strongly ruled out making any new games using the IE because they don't see the point of using an engine that is a serious coding pain in the ass to work with and when there are other engines that are so much better (their words). They do currently have a new unannounced game they're working on, for which they have confirmed that it does not use any existing IP and that it uses the Unreal 4 engine.

enthusiast
enthusiast
If i was a betting person i would say the level cap will be level 15

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
addict
addict
Originally Posted by TheInfinitySock

I would say 13 in final game and maybe 15 after DLC's.

Originally Posted by kanisatha
[quote=Warlocke](...)
I disliked ToB, but it was precisely for the reason that I very strongly prefer lower level games and not because of any quality issues with ToB. I just simply start losing interest in a game once the characters in the game (PC, companions, NPCs) become god-like (and this has been true for all games: the DA games, TES games, Witcher, everything).(...).

Again. You will not gonna see ToB/MotB style lv 30 characters!!!! 5e doesn't even have this types of rules. And a high level character is far bellow any deity. On 2e, you need like a party of 8+ lv 20+ guys to maybe take the weakest demigod.

W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W

I disliked ToB, but it was precisely for the reason that I very strongly prefer lower level games and not because of any quality issues with ToB. I just simply start losing interest in a game once the characters in the game (PC, companions, NPCs) become god-like (and this has been true for all games: the DA games, TES games, Witcher, everything).

As a sidenote for you, Beamdog has very strongly ruled out making any new games using the IE because they don't see the point of using an engine that is a serious coding pain in the ass to work with and when there are other engines that are so much better (their words). They do currently have a new unannounced game they're working on, for which they have confirmed that it does not use any existing IP and that it uses the Unreal 4 engine.

I do enjoy me some Dungeons and Kobolds. I’ve probably played BG1 twice as often as 2 for that reason. I do like the process of taking a character from a wet behind the ears greenhorn to a weathered veteran, but there is something special about the early part of the adventure. Every encounter carries more risk and danger. I always hate when DMs decide to start an adventure at level 4 or 5. I’d rather start off as a nobody and grow my character organically.

That makes sense about Beamdog and the IE. I’m excited to see what they are cooking up. There aren’t enough RPG studios. I’m worried since Obsidian is making their second first person RPG in a row, that might be their new thing. I had issues with PoE, 2 more than 1, but I’m more interested in party based RPGs than strictly FPRPGs.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by SorcererVictor
Originally Posted by TheInfinitySock

I would say 13 in final game and maybe 15 after DLC's.

[quote=Warlocke](...)
I disliked ToB, but it was precisely for the reason that I very strongly prefer lower level games and not because of any quality issues with ToB. I just simply start losing interest in a game once the characters in the game (PC, companions, NPCs) become god-like (and this has been true for all games: the DA games, TES games, Witcher, everything).(...).

Again. You will not gonna see ToB/MotB style lv 30 characters!!!! 5e doesn't even have this types of rules. And a high level character is far bellow any deity. On 2e, you need like a party of 8+ lv 20+ guys to maybe take the weakest demigod.

Oh I agree. I'm not arguing against you. My comment was just about ToB and not anything to do specifically with the debate about BG3 levels.

veteran
veteran

I do enjoy me some Dungeons and Kobolds. I’ve probably played BG1 twice as often as 2 for that reason. I do like the process of taking a character from a wet behind the ears greenhorn to a weathered veteran, but there is something special about the early part of the adventure. Every encounter carries more risk and danger. I always hate when DMs decide to start an adventure at level 4 or 5. I’d rather start off as a nobody and grow my character organically.

That makes sense about Beamdog and the IE. I’m excited to see what they are cooking up. There aren’t enough RPG studios. I’m worried since Obsidian is making their second first person RPG in a row, that might be their new thing. I had issues with PoE, 2 more than 1, but I’m more interested in party based RPGs than strictly FPRPGs.

Yes exactly. That feeling of vulnerability at low levels is what is a rush for me. Having to run away from a pack of wolves ... priceless. And yes, I also have replayed BG1 way more than BG2.

Re. Obsidian, I have a pretty good feeling Avowed will end up having a third person perspective option. Also, the game will apparently include companions in some form, and not necessarily in the way it was done in TOW. So too early to judge exactly what form that game will end up taking.

addict
addict
I do enjoy me some Dungeons and Kobolds. I’ve probably played BG1 twice as often as 2 for that reason. I do like the process of taking a character from a wet behind the ears greenhorn to a weathered veteran, but there is something special about the early part of the adventure. Every encounter carries more risk and danger. I always hate when DMs decide to start an adventure at level 4 or 5. (...)

But 2e maintain lethality even on crazy high levels. Karsus, the strongest magician who ever existed? A insanely powerful lv 41 arcanist, the highest of all genius magicians, of the most magic advanced magical kingdom ever who casted his first spell while a baby and the unique guy who casted a 12th tier magic ever, had just 74 hp. A polar bear probably can kill him in one round if he is in a antimagic field and can't use his powerful spells/magical items/contingency/etc.

An single poisoned arrow CAN kill you on 2e at lv 6 depending on your character. 2e also gives way less ho per level up, mainly after lv 10.

Many DM's love to start at lv 5 mainly on 2e and 3.5e cuz there aren't much things that you can do at lv 1/2/3. Hell, Paladins can only start to cast spells on 2e at lv 9. Necromancer specialized wizards only able to raise skeletons on lv 9 too.

W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
Originally Posted by SorcererVictor
I do enjoy me some Dungeons and Kobolds. I’ve probably played BG1 twice as often as 2 for that reason. I do like the process of taking a character from a wet behind the ears greenhorn to a weathered veteran, but there is something special about the early part of the adventure. Every encounter carries more risk and danger. I always hate when DMs decide to start an adventure at level 4 or 5. (...)

But 2e maintain lethality even on crazy high levels. Karsus, the strongest magician who ever existed? A insanely powerful lv 41 arcanist, the highest of all genius magicians, of the most magic advanced magical kingdom ever who casted his first spell while a baby and the unique guy who casted a 12th tier magic ever, had just 74 hp. A polar bear probably can kill him in one round if he is in a antimagic field and can't use his powerful spells/magical items/contingency/etc.

An single poisoned arrow CAN kill you on 2e at lv 6 depending on your character. 2e also gives way less ho per level up, mainly after lv 10.

Many DM's love to start at lv 5 mainly on 2e and 3.5e cuz there aren't much things that you can do at lv 1/2/3. Hell, Paladins can only start to cast spells on 2e at lv 9. Necromancer specialized wizards only able to raise skeletons on lv 9 too.

Hmmm, it has been a looooong time since I actually played AD&D 2E pen and paper, but in my recent 5E campaign where our party was all lvl 13/14 we were still having some pretty tense encounters. We had a boss fight where our tank (a half orc who is literally Santa Claus) was taken down to 2 HP in only two attacks (one was a really nasty crit) and the only reason we survived the encounter was because Santa was healed by electrical damage, and my lightning attuned monk/sorcerer was hiding behind him hitting him with shocking grasp over and over, or as like to call it, spanking Santa.

... God I love D&D.

So maybe it depends on the DM? I dunno. I’ve had campaigns that maintain the threat for the entire duration. I do get that 5E is a very different beast than 2E, and there is a lot of stuff that has made it easier, but I find it to be overall better designed. I’m having more fun with it than previous iterations.

W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W

Re. Obsidian, I have a pretty good feeling Avowed will end up having a third person perspective option. Also, the game will apparently include companions in some form, and not necessarily in the way it was done in TOW. So too early to judge exactly what form that game will end up taking.

I hope Avowed has a third person camera. I never find 1st person more immersive. I feel more apart of a fictional world if I can see the character I’m playing as, visually place them in the setting. I’m hesitant about Microsoft taking control of any studio, but I’ve always maintained that Obsidian could do great things with proper funding, so we will see.

And I did a complete play through of the BG series to get ready for BG3 EA, but now I want to fire up BG1, again. XD

Maybe I’ll just have some fun; 6 wizard part with perma death and see how far I get. I d that from time to time. Never made t through the Nashkel mines.

enthusiast
enthusiast

I haven't tried SoD yet. I am not sure if I ever will.

You should, really.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Pretty much how I feel too, though I didn't dislike ToB so much as I wasn't particularly moved by it. Also, 2e didn't scale particularly well at level 30+

Last edited by Gt27mustang; 05/09/20 12:46 PM.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard