Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#674065 04/09/20 09:20 PM
T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Just curious if they have ever said anything on this. If we don't get this ability, I'd be pretty disappointed.

I think it would be interesting and quite fun RP'ing as a Mindflayer. You'd be hated by a lot of characters (I'm guessing). I mean, I'd be a more intense version of Fane is a sense. Maybe having to hide your identity. Provides an interesting way to play. You don't have to be a fully transformed Mindflayer either. You could have the overall look and some powers to boot (possibly). I don't see why not.

Last edited by The-Almighty-Zug; 04/09/20 10:31 PM.
Banned
Banned
I think it's a neat idea. Would the MindFlayer be allowed to clap some cheeks?

veteran
veteran
It's probably too much work considering permutations and neglecting / reversing permutations as a normal hero, also lots of faction conflicts and risks of combat with NPCs that may break a successful playthrough if dead. So my personal guess is "Probably not", but is sure is one of my top interests in modding endeavours post 1.0 release 😁

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
They said that you can use the powers that come with the tadpole, but at a cost. There may be a small chance that you finish the game as a mindflayer, if you ask me. Would be interesting.

Banned
Banned
This whole thing had me thinking. What if you can unlock the ability to play as the mindflayers (the bad guys) by completing the game? As an unlockable sort of thing.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Originally Posted by Iamblitzwing
This whole thing had me thinking. What if you can unlock the ability to play as the mindflayers (the bad guys) by completing the game? As an unlockable sort of thing.

Sounds unlikely. That would mean they'd have to create a completely new story that goes parallel to the current arc. Playing the entire game as a mindflayer is basically a completely new game. Whereas ending the game as a mindflayer would just split the arc somewhere at the end. Much easier to implement, although as I said, I think the chances are small that they'd do it.

Last edited by Daniel213; 06/09/20 02:01 PM.
journeyman
journeyman

Like a New Game+ sort of thing?

That'd be cool.

"I used my last magic poo to check in on my daughter." Scanlan Shorthalt.
T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Originally Posted by Dragon_Master

That'd be cool.

I actually agree. Provides that extra incentive to finish a story and then adds replay value off the bat.

veteran
veteran
I think playing a mind flayer would ruin flayers as an enemy. Some sorts of enemies, like Klingons, become more interesting as you better understand them. Other sorts of enemies, like the Borg, become less interesting as they become understandable.

Klingons have complicated politics that center around houses and codes of honor. More you find out the more interesting they become. So it is with the drow -- houses, favor of Lloth, etc makes you want to learn all you can.

Other enemies, like the Borg, become less interesting as we learn more about them. The Borg were frighting because they were they were immune to reason. We are after you, our technology is superior to yours, prepare to be assimilated. Likewise with the alien in Alien (the movie). There is no reasoning with the alien to it you are a) a two legged nursery and b) food. Do you have conversations with your food?

Once the Borg started talking, once we understood them, they became like every other enemy.

The flayers are terrifying because they are a collective mass without identity. Adventurers are beneath their contempt -- the food should be quiet. The Illithid are not individuals, they are a collective and their mind is like that of an insect colony. Join the colony and you lose yourself -- you die and your experiences are overridden by your new identity. If the metamorphosis is just a skin for another playable race the flayers become less frightening and less interesting.

Or, to throw out another analogy, flayers use the zombie template and not the vampire template.

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Dragon_Master

That'd be cool.

Yeah. I think so too!

Originally Posted by Daniel213

Sounds unlikely. That would mean they'd have to create a completely new story that goes parallel to the current arc. Playing the entire game as a mindflayer is basically a completely new game. Whereas ending the game as a mindflayer would just split the arc somewhere at the end. Much easier to implement, although as I said, I think the chances are small that they'd do it.

I agree there's a small chance of it happening, but how good would it be if it did happen?

stranger
stranger
Can you cut of a tentacle and cook it up in some salt and chilli if you get hungry?

N
old hand
old hand
N
Maybe it's just one of the endings. Who knows.

journeyman
journeyman
Seems a nice possibility for game end, you fully turn/change and fade to black..

addict
addict
"Clap some cheeks" ?? What does that mean?

HP Lovecraft wrote a couple stories where a human character's soul was transferred into the body of an alien being. I could see that being a cool story arc, but only temporarily. I prefer being a mammal in most respects.

W
veteran
veteran
W
If one of the potential endings had your main character(s) succumbing to a form of ceromorphosis where the host retains their memories and then you had the ability to reverse the process then that would make for a cool ending.

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Argyle
"Clap some cheeks" ?? What does that mean?

HP Lovecraft wrote a couple stories where a human character's soul was transferred into the body of an alien being. I could see that being a cool story arc, but only temporarily. I prefer being a mammal in most respects.

Goggle what ''Clap Cheeks means'' x. Hp Lovecraft was an interesting guy. Seriously google the name of his cat. I can't say it on here, because I would get banned for saying the name lol.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
It probably wouldn't result in a ban unless really labouring the point, but I'm not entirely sure I'm keen to encourage the seedier elements of Lovecraft's interestingness.

J'aime le fromage.
apprentice
apprentice
I wouldn't expect it at all. I'm not a lore hound but I was under the impression that becoming a mind flayer totally erases your previous personality and memories from your previous life. It'd be like an entirely different game, and even if it happened at the end would represent such a strong tonal shift that I'm not sure that some players would like it. I know I wouldn't. That said, maybe as part of an evil playthrough it could be interesting, but I wouldn't count on it being included. Illithids are supposed to be otherworldly and alien and should stay that way.

An ending where you succumb to become a mindflayer would not be a surprise...you would know you were going down that path. That wouldn't happen at random and of all the dozens/hundreds of permutations and possible endings, becoming a mind flayer, if it exists at all, is probably relegated to one, single ending/permutation where you need to choose every evil option, indulge the tadpole at every opportunity...etc. You would have to choose it, knowingly. As a cinematic ending, turning into an illithid would be dope AF.

addict
addict
I looked up what cheek clapping means and I checked the cat's name... oh my, this is not going where I thought it would. I have no idea how this all ties in with Mind Flayers, but it does seem like really good material for a Cthulu-based rap song. Ah, once again Argyle is lost within the Mists of Leira, unknowing and uncertain of the true meaning of many things ... though I'm fairly certain that clapping is a socially acceptable way to show approval for a performance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard