Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Torque
There is this theory that reality isnt real but a construct of each individuals mind. I dont know how true that is but this thread would be a good example as evidence for that.

I cannot understand how people disagree when people say "BG3 looks like DOS2" when it so clearly does.

What I cannot understand why there seems to be a binary subject. If we make a line between BG1&2 and D:OS2 BG3 will sit somewhere in the middle. Where exactly I can't tell you right now. It runs on Larian's engine, and it is a Larian RPG. It also uses DnD 5e, and is set in DnD universe. There are also quite a few things which definitely weren't in D:OSs. There are quite a few things which were.

While it might not be what BG1&2 would like to see, it is also unlikely to look like D:OS3 to D:OS2 fans. BG3, for better or worse, is BG3.

journeyman
journeyman
There is this theory that reality isnt real but a construct of each individuals mind. I dont know how true that is but this thread would be a good example as evidence for that.

I cannot understand how people disagree when people say "BG3 looks like DOS2" when it so clearly does. The reason why is because Larian use the same network of tools to create the BG3 as they did with DOS2. And I dont have a problem with that, it would be a huge waste of time and resources to create new tools when the tools they have works perfectly fine for the job. But to deny this is the case because DOS doesnt have the same combat system as 5e D&D is mindblowing to me. This is like saying "IWD1 doesnt look like IWD2" because they used two different editions of D&D.

I'm more of the line of thinking that goes with Plato's Allegory of the Cave. Reality is objective, but abstract. People make of it what they will based on what they see but there are many things that are real but outside of their experience so they aren't aware of its existence, or find the idea of its existence crazy because they've never seen it. Much like a shadow on the wall, you see the shadow and the shape, it may be large or it may be small, but something is objectively there making that shadow and it can be better or worse than what it looks like as a shadow. In order to discover the truth of what something is they'll need to explore outside of what they know.

As for the BG3 v DOS2 aspect, I persoonally have never said they don't look the same, aesthetically to a certain degree because BG3 is based on the same engine as DOS2. I also fully recognize that it's not a finished game and that they're more focused on making the game, the story and the mechanics work before they polish it up.

I find that the differences between DOS2 and BG3 (from what we've seen) far outweigh the similarities to the point that outside of a TB combat, a few placeholder assets and running on the same engine there is nothing similar between them.

Its "looks" are the biggest similarity, but that similarity is literally skin deep at this point.

Originally Posted by AnonySimon
Because BG3 is going to be turn-based (with likely no option for RTwP), I imagine combat will involve me controlling my character and then pressing 'skip', 'unpause', or 'end turn' 3 separate times, but we'll see.

Nah. Combat will be moving the character, using an action, whether to attack or cast a spell, a bonus action (class dependent) then ending turn. ^_^

"I used my last magic poo to check in on my daughter." Scanlan Shorthalt.
T
T
Originally Posted by Wormerine

I cannot understand how people disagree when people say "BG3 looks like DOS2" when it so clearly does.

What I cannot understand why there seems to be a binary subject. If we make a line between BG1&2 and D:OS2 BG3 will sit somewhere in the middle. Where exactly I can't tell you right now. It runs on Larian's engine, and it is a Larian RPG. It also uses DnD 5e, and is set in DnD universe. There are also quite a few things which definitely weren't in D:OSs. There are quite a few things which were.

While it might not be what BG1&2 would like to see, it is also unlikely to look like D:OS3 to D:OS2 fans. BG3, for better or worse, is BG3.

I would love to not take an issue with this but my main problem is that DOS2 (and BG3) has visual noise and lightning that I find extremly unpleasant, so much so that I to this day am unsure if I will even buy the game. So the issue isnt so much that "BG3 looks like DOS2" but rather that I cant stand what DOS2 looks like. An example I could bring up was the radical jump from Fallout 2 to 3. They completly altered the franchise (which they didnt have to) but I think that Fallout 3 is a pretty good game

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Wormerine

I would love to not take an issue with this but my main problem is that DOS2 (and BG3) has visual noise and lightning that I find extremly unpleasant, so much so that I to this day am unsure if I will even buy the game. So the issue isnt so much that "BG3 looks like DOS2" but rather that I cant stand what DOS2 looks like. An example I could bring up was the radical jump from Fallout 2 to 3. They completly altered the franchise (which they didnt have to) but I think that Fallout 3 is a pretty good game

I hope that the changes occur that make you happy with the game, if not then I wish you the best in your gaming moving forward in whatever games you may enjoy.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Dragon_Master
I find that the differences between DOS2 and BG3 (from what we've seen) far outweigh the similarities to the point that outside of a TB combat, a few placeholder assets and running on the same engine there is nothing similar between them.

Although incorporating FR/BG lore and continuing its story is enough to entitle Larian to use BG3 title, the similarities between BG3/DOS 2 are very obvious.

TB combat, 4 characters only, huge terrain exploration format, absence of day/night cycle, uninspiring art style with repetitive medieval ruins and generic statues and more recently speaking to the dead/animals. They are implementing everything from DOS.

The differences of verticality, cinematics and wider decision tree is something you would naturally expect from DOS 3 with higher budget.

It seems to me that Larian only knows how to make one type of a game.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3

Although incorporating FR/BG lore and continuing its story is enough to entitle Larian to use BG3 title, the similarities between BG3/DOS 2 are very obvious.

TB combat, 4 characters only, huge terrain exploration format, absence of day/night cycle, uninspiring art style with repetitive medieval ruins and generic statues and more recently speaking to the dead/animals. They are implementing everything from DOS.

The differences of verticality, cinematics and wider decision tree is something you would naturally expect from DOS 3 with higher budget.

*looks at Dragon Commander and the Dragon Knight Saga*

Right...only one type of game....uh huh.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by AnonySimon
Because BG3 is going to be turn-based (with likely no option for RTwP), I imagine combat will involve me controlling my character and then pressing 'skip', 'unpause', or 'end turn' 3 separate times, but we'll see.

Nah. Combat will be moving the character, using an action, whether to attack or cast a spell, a bonus action (class dependent) then ending turn. ^_^

Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3

A gentle reminder, the real-time turn-based with pause topic is here.

J'aime le fromage.
addict
addict
"There is this theory that reality isn't real but a construct of each individuals mind. I don't know how true that is but this thread would be a good example as evidence for that."

Ahh, and so you all begin your journey with Argyle, lost in the Mists of Leira! See not clearly but dimly, and know that knowledge is unknowable. Post well and often, safe in the calm of ignorance.

Where is Zandiwoop's Gate? I should like to visit that place ... if it exists at all.

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
I pretty much understood right away that this was a new story in the same world as BG ...which is Faerun.
I am personally happy to return to this world. It is my favorite setting.

Many may not have responded as well to another name, so it worked well as a draw. I don't feel it was deceptive as much as associative.
Since there has been no money collected and plenty of sample footage, everyone can decide whether or not this is a game they will like before they buy it.

As an old player, still around, I'm fine with the name. At this point most players seem to be looking back to BG 1 & 2 because those are known quantities. It's just as valid to be looking forward, as I imagine both Larian and WotC are to a series of games connected in some way to the city of Baldur's Gate. I'd actually like a subtitle in addition to the 3, to remind me of the focus of the game (although they could be withholding that for now because they don't want to reveal where the story is going), but I see the 3 as useful, just as the numbers are useful in TES titles, letting you know where Morrowind fits into the sequence of games. When we're playing BG IX the numbers will at least give insight into release, if not chronological, order.

S
veteran
veteran
S
This people proves yet again that you cannot agree on anything andwhat exactly it is that upsets you.
one will go on about graphics, the next about gameplay.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Originally Posted by _Vic_
I sometimes wonder if people do know how D&D5E´s creatures, uniforms and the city of Baldur´s gate actually look like before making comparisons...

Fair enough about the characters. But I wasn't really talking about the character design. I was talking about the general art direction, the entire look and feel. Let me show you what I mean.

If you would show those screenshots to someone who doesn't know both games, I assure you he'd tell you it's from the same game and the same level/map.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And there is something about the graphic portrayal about all the characters and assets that makes it look like the exact same game, that just got some graphical updates.

veteran
veteran
But BG3 looks NOTHING like DoS, this is placeholder smile

It was irony but it looks the obvious is not obvious to everyone. I guess it's still time for BG3 to find his real own style.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 07/09/20 02:49 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
apprentice
apprentice
The Problem with this comparison is that you brought up a screenshot from the very first livestream
You could have at least use June livestream or some footage from Panel From Hell to compare between BG3 and DoS2

addict
addict
It's the same creative minds recently coming off a very successful game. Similarities should not only be expected but welcomed. The problem here isn't with Larian's design choices, it's with the niche group that have a romantic idea of what Baldur's Gate "really means" and their irrational devotion to it. I'm hesitant to write that, since I am sure it will give rise to a fresh slew of indignation and I really don't have the wherewithal to engage. But whatever. Whine away.

D
D
Originally Posted by Emrikol
It's the same creative minds recently coming off a very successful game. Similarities should not only be expected but welcomed. The problem here isn't with Larian's design choices, it's with the niche group that have a romantic idea of what Baldur's Gate "really means" and their irrational devotion to it. I'm hesitant to write that, since I am sure it will give rise to a fresh slew of indignation and I really don't have the wherewithal to engage. But whatever. Whine away.

The same engine, too. Similarities like this are to be expected. But people will see what they want to see and use it to justify the idea that "this isn't Baldurs Gate". Which is fine, everyone has their right to an opinion. I just get tired of hearing about it from people who have no interest in the game other than to criticize it.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Daniel213
Originally Posted by _Vic_
I sometimes wonder if people do know how D&D5E´s creatures, uniforms and the city of Baldur´s gate actually look like before making comparisons...

Fair enough about the characters. But I wasn't really talking about the character design. I was talking about the general art direction, the entire look and feel. Let me show you what I mean.

If you would show those screenshots to someone who doesn't know both games, I assure you he'd tell you it's from the same game and the same level/map.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And there is something about the graphic portrayal about all the characters and assets that makes it look like the exact same game, that just got some graphical updates.

Excellent comparative images! And this is EXACTLY my issue with the game as well. It's the style in which the environmental art assets have been drawn. It is indisputable that those assets (trees, rocks, walls, pillars, etc.) look exactly the same. And I am not at all convinced they are merely placeholders.

Now, the argument some of you have that "Yes, they look the same, but I'm okay with that because I loved D:OS2" is a perfectly valid argument. But it is equally valid and legitimate for those of us who hated the D:OS "look" to argue that BG3 should not have that same look.

Last edited by kanisatha; 07/09/20 03:23 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by DrunkPunk
The same engine, too. Similarities like this are to be expected.

The engine being the same is a completely and totally irrelevant issue. Many dozens of different games have been made with the same engine, for example Unity or Unreal, and those games do not all look the same even in the slightest.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by DrunkPunk
The same engine, too. Similarities like this are to be expected.

The engine being the same is a completely and totally irrelevant issue. Many dozens of different games have been made with the same engine, for example Unity or Unreal, and those games do not all look the same even in the slightest.

OTOH there's also Divinity 2 and Oblivion, which have a certain similarity.

Anyway, I kinda get both sides of this; wrt the above screenshots, my feeling about them is more a case of "well they both look a bit like ancient Greece" and I'm left wondering if trying to make something different for its own sake might be the worse option. But it's really too early to guess how it's going to turn out and if whatever it is meets what are largely subjective expectations.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Congratulations, you have shown that two games use the same graphics engine and both have a quasi-medieval fantasy style.

I would be fascinated to hear how you would change the look of, say, the rock assets to make something which is CLEARLY Baldur's Gate and nothing like DOS 2.

Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard