Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dragon_Master

I beg to differ about lower levels being boring.

I'm currently playing a low-level campaign and only just reached level 3 last night when my halfling cleric killed a werewolf with an onion.

Something you cannot do in a videogame, unless its made by LucasArts smile
And you can kill a werewolf with an onion on level 20 too. That´s not level-related.

Not the case of this game, it seems they´re giving you plenty of things to that do not rely on your level ( animal handling, speak with the dead, sneak mechanics, Tadpole force powers, etc)

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
I don't know why anyone would chose to play a single class fighter in any ruleset.

I would, because melee combat is the most fun type of combat of all. And by contrast, casting some spell is what's truly boring. You're not really doing anything. Someone's written a "cool" spell for you, and all you're doing is pressing a button to "cast" it. BORING!!

To each their own. If given the choice between being the badass with the sword who charges the dragon or the coward with the wand who hangs back and launches lightning bolts at the dragon I’ll pick the latter every time. 😁

Absolutely. If that's what you enjoy, that's how you should be able to play. I'm perfectly happy that a game would provide for that kind of playstyle for you. So I cannot understand why people (not you) would get on my case for preferring a different playstyle.

veteran
veteran

Absolutely. If that's what you enjoy, that's how you should be able to play. I'm perfectly happy that a game would provide for that kind of playstyle for you. So I cannot understand why people (not you) would get on my case for preferring a different playstyle.

I'm also team coward with lighting bolts. And it's not just pressing button -- it's also pretty lights and such wink I mean necrofire just looks neat, right? Sorry if you feel put upon but I have no problem with you enjoying melee -- to each their own.

The ideal is that everyone is able to play the game they like. But that's not always possible, in practice you can't please all the people all the time. I usually feel like my favored style frustrated by devs who want to nerf, restrict, increase cool down time etc. These decisions are usually combined with readings from gospel of balance -- a creed that says my favorite playstyle is "stupid and pointless". And perhaps that's right -- but I don't care if it is. If I have fun imagining a barbarian throwing a hamster on an enemies face, I do. Sometimes dumb is fun. "Go for the eyes, boo!

Now best the way to give us both what we want is allow diplomatic solutions to problems. If you can talk your way out of any encounter the power players get to see the pretty colors if they want and the balance lovers don't feel obligated to power up to make it through the encounter.

journeyman
journeyman
The ideal is that everyone is able to play the game they like. But that's not always possible, in practice you can't please all the people all the time. I usually feel like my favored style frustrated by devs who want to nerf, restrict, increase cool down time etc. These decisions are usually combined with readings from gospel of balance -- a creed that says my favorite playstyle is "stupid and pointless". And perhaps that's right -- but I don't care if it is. colors if they want and the balance lovers don't feel obligated to power up to make it through the encounter.

On this note and though its preliminary, I'm excited to see the prospects of playing a rogue of any flavor or any character with stealth ability in this game...DDO's handling of sneaking/shadows/etc is the closest to ideal handling of stealthy play that I remember experiencing (been years though since I played any of that) in a computer based game, but what Larian has demonstrated thus far is encouraging.

“Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do. But it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.”---Dale Carnegie.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tyndaleon
The ideal is that everyone is able to play the game they like. But that's not always possible, in practice you can't please all the people all the time. I usually feel like my favored style frustrated by devs who want to nerf, restrict, increase cool down time etc. These decisions are usually combined with readings from gospel of balance -- a creed that says my favorite playstyle is "stupid and pointless". And perhaps that's right -- but I don't care if it is. colors if they want and the balance lovers don't feel obligated to power up to make it through the encounter.

On this note and though its preliminary, I'm excited to see the prospects of playing a rogue of any flavor or any character with stealth ability in this game...DDO's handling of sneaking/shadows/etc is the closest to ideal handling of stealthy play that I remember experiencing (been years though since I played any of that) in a computer based game, but what Larian has demonstrated thus far is encouraging.

That would be much more interesting/useful if we had day/night cycle and were able to plan when to sneak, instead of trying to sneak at noon.

veteran
veteran
Now best the way to give us both what we want is allow diplomatic solutions to problems. If you can talk your way out of any encounter the power players get to see the pretty colors if they want and the balance lovers don't feel obligated to power up to make it through the encounter.

I'm totally with you here.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3
Originally Posted by Tyndaleon

That would be much more interesting/useful if we had day/night cycle and were able to plan when to sneak, instead of trying to sneak at noon.

Yeah, can't argue there. Of course, all outdoor sneaking should be done at night, since I don't think even the deepest afternoon shadow would actually suffice for sneaking around. But I do like what Larian is doing there (like the old Thief games, if memory serves).

Now, what this has to do with the level cap being higher than 10, I have no idea.

Last edited by Emrikol; 08/09/20 08:50 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Warlocke
I don't know why anyone would chose to play a single class fighter in any ruleset.

I would, because melee combat is the most fun type of combat of all. And by contrast, casting some spell is what's truly boring. You're not really doing anything. Someone's written a "cool" spell for you, and all you're doing is pressing a button to "cast" it. BORING!!

To each their own. If given the choice between being the badass with the sword who charges the dragon or the coward with the wand who hangs back and launches lightning bolts at the dragon I’ll pick the latter every time. 😁

Am I the only one here who always plays Cleric? 🙄 I can charge the dragon AND cast a spell with a wand!

Last edited by Gt27mustang; 08/09/20 09:03 PM.
W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Gt27mustang

Am I the only one here who always plays Cleric? 🙄 I can charge the dragon AND cast a spell with a wand!

I have played a cleric once and only once. And by once I don’t mean one adventure, I mean one session. I managed to fall into disfavor with my patron god almost immediately, became a fallen priest, was given the option to undertake a personal quest of redemption by the DM, and chose instead to retire and reroll. 😂

I am not a pious player. Give me wizards, warlocks, monks, and rogues (or some combination of these), and I’m good. I like druids as far as mechanics go, but have a hard time role playing them, as I don’t like being okay smelling bad.

Come to think of it, I’ll play literally any other class before clerics. I don’t even like having them in my party. Paladin? Sure. Cleric? I don’t trust them.

journeyman
journeyman

I'm currently playing a cleric in a D&D 5E campaign. Last session I killed a werewolf with an onion.

Last edited by Dragon_Master; 08/09/20 09:27 PM.

"I used my last magic poo to check in on my daughter." Scanlan Shorthalt.
veteran
veteran

I started playing PnP D&D in the early '90s, and can honestly tell you I have never once played a cleric, even in a video game. Sorry. smile

In addition to fighters (which are often multi-classed with either rogue or wizard), I do play paladins sometimes and also like playing rangers. But you can obviously see there is always a melee-martial strain running through my characters.

veteran
veteran

Would it though? With unchanging enviroment stealth could be properly designed. As cool as "wait for right time of day, changes of guards etc" sounds, I am yet to see them be enjoyable.

enthusiast
enthusiast

In addition to fighters (which are often multi-classed with either rogue or wizard), I do play paladins sometimes and also like playing rangers. But you can obviously see there is always a melee-martial strain running through my characters.

I also have a very melee-oriented mindset. I used to dual class fitghters into clerics in 2e, add fighter level in 3-3.5e and play a war domain cleric, with a level or two of fighter, in 5e

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Emrikol
Now, what this has to do with the level cap being higher than 10, I have no idea.

Yeah, my bad on that - I was just keying off a thought that arose in the moment from KR's comments. Carry on with level cap talk smirk

“Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do. But it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.”---Dale Carnegie.
addict
addict
My personal preference is somewhat slow leveling, where you feel you truly earned each level.
Also, in D&D, I find low levels more fun for adventuring, risks, combat in general.

That said, the game content time and development time will decide really how many levels and how fast,
but wanted to chip in my "vote".

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Wormerine

Would it though? With unchanging enviroment stealth could be properly designed. As cool as "wait for right time of day, changes of guards etc" sounds, I am yet to see them be enjoyable.

Just a quick closure to this off topic matter :

I am not even implying day/night routines but the simply fact that creating a partial/total obscurity system would wonderfully match with D/N cycle (even binary) where you can actually take advantage of that.

Plus, time will pass anyway with long rest.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard