Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#674702 11/09/20 02:15 AM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
From the Larian Gazette #6:

If your character walks into a dialogue situation, the cinematic dialogue begins with you by yourself. If one of your posse comes close, they can choose whether or not they join you in the discussion. Once they do, they can tell you what options they would like you to select as you ponder your next choice.

What I'd like to know is whether or not this is just a "decision vote" option or if multiple characters are actually in the conversation. It sounds like it's just a vote. But if that's the case, this is pretty underwhelming. How many multiplayer games aren't using some kind of voice software while they are playing to coordinate these kinds of decisions anyway?

If it's purely a vote option, is it democratic? I.e. if 3 players are talking to someone and two want one response but the initiator of the conversation wants another, does the initiator get the final say or does majority rule? I hope that there is an option for Majority Rule. I suspect that this would require a way for other conversation participants to "take over" the conversation if they're in the majority (because, presumably, no one can make another player say or do something they wouldn't choose to do... but others could step in and say or do something themselves and take the spotlight or move the conversation in another direction.)

Will the target of the conversation know/acknowledge that there are other characters participating in the conversation? Can it affect their responses?

Will response options reflect the unique options that various characters ("tags" in DOS2) bring to a conversation?

I'm hoping that this is more than just a option vote and will help cut down on the need for tag-team conversations ("Hey, who hasn't talked to the bartender yet?") and give others in multi-player groups more power to dictate what happens instead of handing all the power to the person who rushes in an initiates a conversation.

veteran
veteran
Oh, I must have missed this bit when I read the post yesterday, as I literally just asked about it, in update post.

Yeah from what I understand it just seems like a tool for expressing your preference - it can also be "Twitched" so your viewers can vote as well. I can see it handy even if coop. Just expressing a preference will be less tiresome in the long run, then saying it out loud, especially if you play with more then one friend.

I would also be more interested in bigger interactivity - like coop conversations and such, perhaps companions being able to offer using their available lines. That's also something I would greatly appreciate for singleplayer. Generally RPGs are either single protagonics (allow single character to speak - PoEs) or are group RPG where you talk as a group (Wasteland2. Kingmaker). I found the constant need to go in and out of conversation in D:OS2 and go through the same content with multiple characters tedious. I would rather have an ability to use all available companions without the need to leave the conversation tree.

journeyman
journeyman
If you look at the larian-video featuring an explanation the idea developed over the last larian games quite good and I agree.
Divinity Origina Sin 1 had started with a rock, paper & scissors mode in singleplayer decisions for character "traits", and in multiplayer it was a lot of fun to find out, if your playstyle or decisions were agreed by your "lan" compagnions. Beside the funny dialoges in real life before the pc lan games there was a second player experience through the dialogue answers and the characters could get for different answers different traits with dierect impact on certain abilities. There was no need to fully agree in every decision in multiplayer, the winner got the decision, but the traits were individual based on the proposals for answers.
Divinity Original Sin 2 indicated the voting of your compagnions in singleplayer for origin characters and gave multiplayer compagnions the possibility to make proposals for the main character, a more free oriented gameplay for decisions.
As I understand it, Baldurs Gate 3 as a different game following 5E rules comes with more gameplay based on your origin or individual designed characters. The answer of the thread starters idea would be a futher developement in real roleplaying scripting for dialogues, if the non player target character of dialogues/ situations/ decisions would be affected not only by the main characters answers alone, but instead influenced by gender, race, and maybe (best of) past decisions (since there is no strict alignment in 5E+). If larian achieves a bug free dialogue scripting for single- & multiplayer, it would be - together with the atmosperic cutscenes - a real next great step for the electronic roleplaying game world.

Gather your party before venturing forth!

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard