Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
And flipping their alignment for their first EA play through?

I usually play my protagonists Neutral Good: well intentioned and empathetic but pragmatic realists, rough around the edges but with a heart of gold.

My philosophy for my EA warlock will be more Neutral Evil: doesn’t go out of his way to cause misery but is ultimately selfish, duplicitous, and dishonorable. I don’t think I could play an entire game that way without deciding to have the hero undergo a redemption arc, but I’ll try it for EA.

Last edited by Warlocke; 14/09/20 01:13 AM.
addict
addict
Yep, "Chaotic evil" all the way.

apprentice
apprentice
I’m going to go evil as well. I usually go good and will switch to that for full release.

WereLamb of Original Sin
V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
"I don’t think I could play an entire game that way without deciding to have the hero undergo a redemption arc, but I’ll try it for EA."

That's my problem with giving evil "a try". It just never works for me.

journeyman
journeyman
I'm going to try to as well - though I haven't decided yet what kind of custom I'm going to roll yet to do so with. I'm waiting to see for sure what we do/don't have available first.

“Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do. But it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.”---Dale Carnegie.
veteran
veteran
Nah. I don't enjoy following evil story lines -- spoils my fun.

I'm glad those options are present but I treat those options as alignment tests -- will I be able to keep to my code.

addict
addict
After I wiped out most of a clan of goblins near a human settlement, my reputation went way up with the celebrating humans. The remaining goblins, on the other hand, thereafter considered me a horrible monster. Good, Evil? I finished Baldur's Gate with 3,451 kills ... is that good? The Mists of Leira do indeed roil with conundrums, where actions are judged from many perspectives, and motivations only rarely emerge from simple precepts. So please tell me, what is the opposite of Neutral?

W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Argyle
So please tell me, what is the opposite of Neutral?

Partisan.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Van'tal
"I don’t think I could play an entire game that way without deciding to have the hero undergo a redemption arc, but I’ll try it for EA."

That's my problem with giving evil "a try". It just never works for me.
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Nah. I don't enjoy following evil story lines -- spoils my fun.

I'm glad those options are present but I treat those options as alignment tests -- will I be able to keep to my code.

Same. Every now and then I try playing an evil character just to experience the whole thing and I can never do it. The one time I tried to stick with it she very quickly became more diluted until she was eventually basically good, just a bit surly and irresponsible.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Still not sure but I really don't like playing evil.
I guess playing a good guy will leads to situations and reactions from the companions.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
enthusiast
enthusiast
So long as it is practical. Evil only works for me so long as it makes sense. Kill someone for fun? Nope. Kill someone because they have an artefact I want? Yep. And so on and so forth.

Evil always finds a way.
N
old hand
old hand
N
I will play evil for sure cause in terms of story telling, it will be interesting to see what Larian has pulled off to make it viable and fun.

Originally Posted by Warlocke
So please tell me, what is the opposite of Neutral?

Partisan.

Haha!

Warlocke is supra-genius!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by TheAscendent
So long as it is practical. Evil only works for me so long as it makes sense. Kill someone for fun? Nope. Kill someone because they have an artefact I want?

Yes, I can do evil, if there is some purpose or justification behind it. I was never able to do Bioware evil, as I found it too unenjoyable - being a cruel and murderous person for... lols? Why would I consider being evil, and if being nice leads to more satisfying places without loosing anything?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Wormerine
So long as it is practical. Evil only works for me so long as it makes sense. Kill someone for fun? Nope. Kill someone because they have an artefact I want?

Yes, I can do evil, if there is some purpose or justification behind it. I was never able to do Bioware evil, as I found it too unenjoyable - being a cruel and murderous person for... lols? Why would I consider being evil, and if being nice leads to more satisfying places without losing anything?

Indeed, too often 'evil' playthroughs devolve into murderous psychopaths that kill everything and anything, without any nuance or degrees. Most evil people don't think themselves evil (mortals that is).

Evil always finds a way.
addict
addict
"Partisan" is an interesting word. Per the dictionary, as an adjective it means, " feeling, showing, or deriving from strong and sometimes blind adherence to a particular party, faction, cause, or person." If my cause is balance in all things, a common element of neutrality in D&D terms, is that not also a partisan position? The opposite of balance is imbalance, which might be quite a dangerous path to follow.

stranger
stranger
Hahaha! Same here! I can't play a whole game evil-- need that redemption arc! XD Chaotic good all the way! But I enjoy dipping into Chaotic Evil ;D

journeyman
journeyman
I tend to be morally ambivalent anyway, so perhaps LE.

D
D
I tend to go Lawful Evil-style in my RPG playthroughs when it's possible so this should be interesting.

W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
"Partisan" is an interesting word. Per the dictionary, as an adjective it means, " feeling, showing, or deriving from strong and sometimes blind adherence to a particular party, faction, cause, or person." If my cause is balance in all things, a common element of neutrality in D&D terms, is that not also a partisan position? The opposite of balance is imbalance, which might be quite a dangerous path to follow.

🙄

I get that you are trying to spark a philosophical debate, but these are questions of semantics, and semantics just aren’t all that interesting.

Originally Posted by Wormerine

Yes, I can do evil, if there is some purpose or justification behind it. I was never able to do Bioware evil, as I found it too unenjoyable - being a cruel and murderous person for... lols? Why would I consider being evil, and if being nice leads to more satisfying places without losing anything?

Indeed, too often 'evil' playthroughs devolve into murderous psychopaths that kill everything and anything, without any nuance or degrees. Most evil people don't think themselves evil (mortals that is).

Doing a play through of a character who is evil but thinks himself a hero might be fun. I’ve never had a game give me those sorts of options explicitly without lots of the heavy lifting being done in my imagination.

Last edited by Warlocke; 14/09/20 04:21 PM.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard