Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
Tyranny is a neat, scrappy little game. Very much worth trying. Not perfect by any means, but it has a lot of personality and a unique take on the genre.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Dragon_Master
Just remember, being nice or friendly doesn't mean good, being rude or obnoxious doesn't mean evil.

Invites party member over for dinner, lots of food, drink and merriment. Food is poisoned. Bedroom has scented candles with poison catalyst, party member dies in their sleep. Plausible deniability.

addict
addict
The poisoned dinner makes me think of Billingford Bluffer in the lyrics of "The Perfectionist." Was he evil, or just ... insane?

apprentice
apprentice
I never play evil, which is silly I know, but, since I don't want to spoil my "real" playthrough I'm going to make evil decisions. I don't do early access normally but I love Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 so can't wait til this one is finished. I think I'll just play with the character creator and try stuff out, not really experiencing the story and hope that works out.

journeyman
journeyman
I can play evil as long as its evil with a purpose I wont slaughter a village cuz i feel like it but i will slaughter a village if i get something out of it

[Linked Image]
apprentice
apprentice
A big problem with playing evil is that it's usually a very shallow experience. Chaotic evil basically boils down to killing everyone you meet. PS:T did a pretty good job of allowing evil playthroughs, but a lot of modern games really botch the job. I hope Larian takes a page from some older RPGs and builds a world that's flexible enough to allow for meaningful and engaging evil roleplay. I love playing neutral evil as much as I can.

W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
I have a good feeling about the flexibility of the narrative to accommodate interesting evil play through. Especially since Swenson actively trying to encourage it.

We shall see.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by CandrianIllborne
A big problem with playing evil is that it's usually a very shallow experience. Chaotic evil basically boils down to killing everyone you meet.

That might be how many people play, but it’s probably not how it should be played. It really just means that you could kill anyone you meet for the LOLs. Even a chaotic evil character might still take a “good” quest for any number of reasons: Money or other reward, to keep people guessing about them, because they want to get into the quest giver’s pants, just because it sounds like fun or seeing what opportunities for causing murder and mayhem it provides. Playing chaotic evil can be more about messing with people’s lives and heads than just killing them for looking at you wrong. Basically just doing doing whatever the hell you like with zero regard for anyone else.

I’m sure this is why Larian are suggesting people try playing evil in early access. They’ve talked a lot about all the “systemic” stuff in the game and how the world reacts to the things you do. A good number of players running around causing total chaos is probably the best way to stress test their systems to see what breaks.

If everyone just picks takes the obvious good path all the time, they could miss a load of game breaking bugs (TM).

MGB Offline
stranger
stranger
I am a Neutral Good character player. Always have been and always will be. I understand that makes me pretty much a nerdy geek.

veteran
veteran
I wasn't even aware that was a thing, When did he say that?

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by MGB
I am a Neutral Good character player. Always have been and always will be. I understand that makes me pretty much a nerdy geek.

Yeah it does, not a good look. cool

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
I wasn't even aware that was a thing, When did he say that?

Nothing really. In the "Panel from Hell" he encouraged people to play differently then you normally would. So as most players tend to play good aligned characters, he suggesten one might want to use EA to explore evil paths.

I will definitely try Swen's advice, but I am not sure whether I will dedicate my first play through to this guiding spirit. Your first ever encounter with the game is quite special, so I will have to consider it.

One way I hope to follow Swen's suggestion is picking a rag-tag party. Instead of optimising characters by race and class, I will try the least likely combinations. Ordinarily, I think people would use the strategy of:

Tank (absorb damage/heavy armour)
DPS (damage per second - destroy enemy)
Medic (heal party)
... (I don't know the name for the third role. Maybe Flanker or Socialite, for charisma interactions. Does anybody have a name?)

Usually, people would pick a Gnome Wizard, as Gnomes have higher intelligence, and that enhances their abilities to cast spells. Halfling's are famous for Thieves, due to their small size and high dexterity.

In the playthrough I have in mind, I would pick low intelligence races for magic user, like a Half-Orc, and a weak Race fighter, etc. I would also try and avoid picking a character for each of the "standard" 4 roles. I don't want to do this by picking the same class for everybody and also the same race. I will have to think about it. Any ideas?

Probably, I will pick the least effective sub-class for each class, and ensure that there is nobody with strong armour class, nobody who can heal you and nobody who can dish out a lot of damage.

It ought to be quite a funny game, worth an After Action Report, I think!

Last edited by Languid Lizard; 23/09/20 10:22 AM.
W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Languid Lizard

Medic (heal party)
... (I don't know the name for the third role. Maybe Flanker or Socialite, for charisma interactions. Does anybody have a name?)

The dedicated social check character is the party “face.” Sometimes this will be handled by a “skill monkey,” a character with proficiencies in lots of non-combat skills. Rogues and Bards are the typical skill monkeys.

Originally Posted by Warlocke
Originally Posted by Languid Lizard

Medic (heal party)

The dedicated social check character is the party “face.” Sometimes this will be handled by a “skill monkey,” a character with proficiencies in lots of non-combat skills. Rogues and Bards are the typical skill monkeys.

Thanks, Warlocke! Those are both fun terms for the 4th role!

stranger
stranger
I guess I'll give it a go.

I think people should consider the chaotic neutral alignment as a different playthrough style. It is basically the completely selfish alignment.

If you want to go evil without the "kill everyone for fun" mentality, then play lawful evil. Stick to a set of rules (rules you could make for yourself) or laws, but go all out to get as much power no matter what it takes. The "little people" don't matter. The only thing that matters is power and systems that give you power.

I usually tend to play CN characters because I most often play as a rogue of some sort so it fits with my greedy thieving ways.. but in video games I tend to always have party members of the Chaotic, Good and Neutral alignments and perform more Good aligned actions because of game design. For one of my runs I definitely plan to try a Lawful Evil character as they seem to be the hardest for developers to implement in a meaningful way.

journeyman
journeyman
I'll definitely give it a try, and probably fail, as usual :hihi: On the other hand, knowing Larian I don't think that being evil in BG3 will just boil down to indiscriminately killing everything that moves, so it should be an interesting experiment. Since all companions in EA will be neutral or evil, that will probably help - either that, or they will hate me.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Playing evil shouldn't be as difficult as making Lae'zel and Shadowheart be best friends by the end of act 1 XD

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Nyanko
Playing evil shouldn't be as difficult as making Lae'zel and Shadowheart be best friends by the end of act 1 XD

True. From what they've shown so far, having both of them along might make for somewhat more... dynamic party dynamics than is altogether healthy.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard