Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#675408 21/09/20 04:46 AM
Merlex Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
For my 2nd ea playthrough, I planned on playing Lae'zel and going evil. Does anyone know Lae'zel's background? I know we can change origin characters' starting ability scores, if we play them as a PC. But can we change their backgrounds?

I'd really like to play her as an Eldritch Knight, to take advantage of her racial bonuses, Strength and Intelligence. Sage would be an interesting background, especially for a Githyanki, given their focus on combat during their upbringing. It would make her unconventional. Though I may just play a custom Githyanki as an Abjurer. Githyanki have Medium Armor, Short Sword, Long Sword, and Great Sword proficiencies.

Last edited by Merlex; 21/09/20 12:03 PM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
If I recall correctly, origin characters won’t be playable in EA at launch. I feel like I heard that in one of the streams, but I could just be mistaken and making up nonsense.

Backgrounds only affect proficiencies, so that isn’t going to make a big impact on how Lae’zel plays regardless of her class build.

Can you change origin characters’ classes? That would be weird for characters like Gale and Wyll, as their classes are so integral to their personal stories.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Warlocke
If I recall correctly, origin characters won’t be playable in EA at launch. I feel like I heard that in one of the streams, but I could just be mistaken and making up nonsense.

Backgrounds only affect proficiencies, so that isn’t going to make a big impact on how Lae’zel plays regardless of her class build.

Can you change origin characters’ classes? That would be weird for characters like Gale and Wyll, as their classes are so integral to their personal stories.

Backgrounds (in TT) also come with a feature.

Merlex Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast

I must have missed that. I assumed you would be able to, considering Sven played Astarion in his first playthrough.

Sage grants Arcana and History, which fits with an Eldritch Knight. Fighters don't have Arcana nor Investigation available.

No. Lae'zel is a Fighter. I meant I may play a custom Githyanki Abjurer with the Soldier background for ea. Fixed my original post.

Last edited by Merlex; 21/09/20 12:04 PM.
veteran
veteran

Correct, "origins" won't be available at the launch - that was said in the "Panel from Hell". However, origins are to come at later date so depending on when the OP want's to make the 2nd playthrough happen, it might be possible to do so then. I don't think it's been said, how much control over the characters we will have.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Annyliese

Backgrounds (in TT) also come with a feature.

Yeah, but those features are mostly role-playing elements that affect how characters react to you. Larian has said there are no background related dialogue options, so I can’t imagine that those features will be in this game.

stranger
stranger
I might be wrong here, but if I remember correctly there is an interview (or was it the panel?) where Swen said we would be able to change a character's class when we pick/recruit them, like in DOS2. The idea being about flexibility when building a party from a relatively small selection of companions.

I hope I'm right. Too often, in RPGs, we end up picking the main character's class for the way it complements their companions, while the opposite feels more enjoyable to me. Sure, canon classes make more sense from a roleplaying perspective, but then again, nobody would force us not to use them.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Maze
I might be wrong here, but if I remember correctly there is an interview (or was it the panel?) where Swen said we would be able to change a character's class when we pick/recruit them, like in DOS2. The idea being about flexibility when building a party from a relatively small selection of companions.

I hope I'm right. Too often, in RPGs, we end up picking the main character's class for the way it complements their companions, while the opposite feels more enjoyable to me. Sure, canon classes make more sense from a roleplaying perspective, but then again, nobody would force us not to use them.

Assuming that is correct, how would that work when a character’s class is so integral to their personal quest? I guess we will FnD our either way soon.

stranger
stranger

Assuming that is correct, how would that work when a character’s class is so integral to their personal quest? I guess we will FnD our either way soon.

It really depends on the technical necessities of the tasks related to said persornal quest, and wether another character can do something in their stead. Let's say you need to cast a specific spell to complete a quest, maybe the game will juste give you a scroll for it, or maybe any spellcaster can do it. It's a roleplaying game, there are options.

And it's fine with me if it makes some personal quests harder in some way. It would be a reasonable sacrifice to make, I think, so your party can include both the personnalities and the classes you want to have around. Especially if it's, let's say, your fourth or fifth playthrough.

But yeah, we'll be sure soon enough and if classes are set in stone it's not exactly an issue or a problem.

Last edited by Maze; 21/09/20 06:47 PM.
W
veteran
veteran
W

It really depends on the technical necessities of the tasks related to said persornal quest, and wether another character can do something in their stead. Let's say you need to cast a specific spell to complete a quest, maybe the game will juste give you a scroll for it, or maybe any spellcaster can do it. It's a roleplaying game, there are options.

And it's fine with me if it makes some personal quests harder in some way. It would be a reasonable sacrifice to make, I think, so your party can include both the personnalities and the classes you want to have around. Especially if it's, let's say, your fourth or fifth playthrough.

But yeah, we'll be sure soon enough and if classes are set in stone it's not exactly an issue or a problem.

No, that isn't the problem at all. The issue is how will the stories be written? Gale's and Wyll's stories and their classes seem to me to be inextricably linked.

Astarion's former vampire master shows up in his personal quest, as we have already seen. Since she is featured in the character art at the top of this website, it is pretty safe to presume Wyll's warlock patron will appear in similar fashion. Their entire relationship is premised on her giving him the powers to become a frontier folk hero in exchange for his soul. If he isn't a warlock, how do they write around that? Wouldn't the writing of the entire questline have to be very general, always avoiding specific details? That doesn't sound compelling.

Gale is a prodigy wizard who tampered with Netherese magics beyond his control and has become living weapon of mass destruction. If he is a fighter then this doesn't make a lot of sense.

I suppose Shadowheart could be written in an ambiguous way where she could either be a cleric or a cultist of Shar, but even then, it seems to me that trying to write an entire game's worth of dialogue and always avoiding specifics might come off as stilted. What if you make her a druid? Are there druids who worship Shar?

We will see, though.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Merlex
For my 2nd ea playthrough, I planned on playing Lae'zel and going evil. Does anyone know Lae'zel's background? I know we can change origin characters' starting ability scores, if we play them as a PC. But can we change their backgrounds?

I'd really like to play her as an Eldritch Knight, to take advantage of her racial bonuses, Strength and Intelligence. Sage would be an interesting background, especially for a Githyanki, given their focus on combat during their upbringing. It would make her unconventional. Though I may just play a custom Githyanki as an Abjurer. Githyanki have Medium Armor, Short Sword, Long Sword, and Great Sword proficiencies.

- She can certainly be evil if you want : her culture would not mind ; well as long as she is loyal to her race/community ;
- She is a Figther, and so you can *choose* freely to make her an Eldritch Knight (said to be in Early Access) ;
- I do not know her Abilities (Str, Dex, etc.), but I have a clue they are not very optimized, but she most probably has good Str.

Last edited by Baraz; 21/09/20 11:12 PM.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard