veteran
veteran
S
>new world
poor mans conan exiles

Masakado #676037 26/09/20 11:19 AM
addict
addict
Shortly, I prefer when crafting adds to the game not more things, but more depth and a little bit of satisfaction.
Main campaign of NWN was good example at some points. Crafting of regeneration ring there was more like side quest, just with no journal entry. You needed to have access to laboratory, find the recipe, find super rare ingredient... And the result was desirable.

Masakado #676038 26/09/20 12:26 PM
veteran
veteran
I am not a big fan of Crafting in games, it tends to be tedious, grindy, and underwhelming. DOS 1 and DOS 2 have not done anything to change my view on that. I really hope that any crafting in the game has been massively overhauled from DOS 2. Especially the tendency to have 1000 ingredients, each with one and only one use.

Originally Posted by Warlocke
Nothing has been said about BG3, but in the DOS2 postmortem Swen said that he was pretty disappointed with how crafting panned out in that game, and would strongly consider not including crafting in future games.

Oh thank goodness. Do you remember where you saw that postmortem? It sounds interesting.

EDIT: Was it this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKwi_5nePZg

EDIT 2: Yes, at about 59:11 for the mention of crafting.

Last edited by Stabbey; 26/09/20 01:53 PM. Reason: aded video
Masakado #676040 26/09/20 01:44 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I don’t mind crafting, sometimes I quite enjoy it. But collecting the things gets tiresome.

DOS games are far from the only offenders, but they were particularly egregious. Go into a room and there’s stuff in chests, desks, barrels, jars, bookcases, shelves, cabinets, as well as like a hundred items just lying in the open. You press the tab key (or whatever it was) and whole screen is covered in the labels of all the things to click on. Urgh!

Then they made it even worse with the “lucky charm” mechanic, which meant that any innocuous container could give you something really good. Jesus, who thought of that one?

I know it’s partly my fault for wanting to pick up anything and everything that might useful or valuable, but it doesn’t have to be like this. Just put anything I might want to collect in one or two places and make it obvious that that’s where I should look.

Maybe it’s more “realistic” to fill the game with items scattered all over the place, but I just don’t care. Does anyone actually enjoy the monotony of searching and looting each room like this?

Dagless #676041 26/09/20 02:18 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dagless
I know it’s partly my fault for wanting to pick up anything and everything that might useful or valuable, but it doesn’t have to be like this. Just put anything I might want to collect in one or two places and make it obvious that that’s where I should look.

I'm the same way, and that's why I like having some secure place where I can store all this stuff so I'm not carrying everything around with me.

Generally, speaking, I like having the crafting mechanic in my cRPGs, but agree with everyone else's critiques about what would make for a good and fun system versus what wouldn't.

Masakado #676043 26/09/20 02:42 PM
journeyman
journeyman
I don't need crafting, that's for MMOs or survival games. I'm playing a hero not a blacksmith. But if its in the game, ok.

flick40 #676044 26/09/20 02:47 PM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by flick40
I don't need crafting, that's for MMOs or survival games. I'm playing a hero not a blacksmith. But if its in the game, ok.

It's the constant need to keep repairing equipment that does my head in. I'm glad Larian decreed it's officially not fun and completely ditched that particular feature.

J'aime le fromage.
Masakado #676049 26/09/20 04:10 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Masakado
I think for a single player game, a designer working of crafting should always have 2 questions at the front of his or her mind:

1) How easy is it for the player to find the exact same item?
2) How likely is this item to be sold rather than used?

DOS2 failed on both grounds (or if they had a good weapon or armor recipe I never found it). BG2 succeeded on the first (the artifacts were not replicable) and you were bound to use at least some of the items for a while.

One other consideration is customization: how many times have you found a cool item that you didn't really want to use because it's the wrong weapon? I suppose it's less of an issue in 5E, but in editions with "weapon specialization" type proficiencies/feats it was an issue. Gathering adamantine ingots, dragon's blood, and a gem taken from the heart of an earth elemental, taking it to a smith and being given the option of whether it's a sword, an axe or a hammer would be a nice change from "crap, if that wasn't a 2 handed weapon I'd be all over that"

Armour of the Eternals was solid for a good while. Also, the Vulture crafted set from the Relics of Rivellon was good, but that was kind of a "gimme" and just a consequence of the questline. Outside of those two specific instances, nothing else was worth crafting over what could be found, unfortunately.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard