Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
D
Almost as if it were by accident, I stumbled over this part in one of the D&D wikis.

"The process of ceremorphosis is irreversable even by magical means after one hour. [...] The transformation into a mind flayer is complete after seven days."
https://dungeonsdragons.fandom.com/wiki/Ceremorphosis

Will WotC give Larian a lot of freedom when it comes to remove the tadpole, or have there already been occasions in the D&D universe where a tadpole was removed from the host without killing him?

W
veteran
veteran
W
This isn’t normal ceramorphosis and are not normal illithid tadpoles.

D
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
D
How do you know? What kind of tadpoles are they? Did Larian talk about that?

addict
addict
Yes, Larian did talk about that, they did tell it's not normal. But no solid information only fan-speculations about the kind of tadpoles so far.

W
veteran
veteran
W
They said in one of the streams. We don’t know a lot of details, but we do know that:

The point of no return is longer than one hour
These tadpoles give special abilities, including psionic powers and immunity to sunlight for vampires, drow and presumably the ilithids spawned from them.
They will affect races normally immune to ceramorphosis, such as dwarfs and halflings, but that is old canon and could be a retcon to ceramorphosis in general.

Originally Posted by Warlocke

This is nonsense, do not listen to them. The tadpole most certainly cannot be removed. There is no sense in devoting any effort toward getting rid of it. You shouldn't use your brain to entertain such irrational and complicated thoughts. They only make the mind cluttered and unpleasantly chewy. Trust me. I say this out of love for you and your juicy, succulent brains.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Llengrath
Originally Posted by Warlocke

This is nonsense, do not listen to them. The tadpole most certainly cannot be removed. There is no sense in devoting any effort toward getting rid of it. You shouldn't use your brain to entertain such irrational and complicated thoughts. They only make the mind cluttered and unpleasantly chewy. Trust me. I say this out of love for you and your juicy, succulent brains.

😂

addict
addict
Technically, miracle and wish spells should reverse it.

But there is something between the tadpoles and the Absolute (the new "god" that spawned the Cult of the Absolute). It was mentioned in a presentation that some of the enemies in Act 1 have their own tadpole. You are even recognized as a member of the cult by some NPCs if you use your tadpole on them (I think it was the goblins). That's probably why those tadpole aren't normal.

The question is then: do you want to worship the Absolute or not. Because I doubt the Absolute will let people he doesn't control run around with tadpoles...

addict
addict
I'm wondering if there really has to be such a finite end. I recall Larian saying that the driving motivation for the characters is to remove the tadpole, but what if there's another option?

What if you were going the evil route and wanted to embrace it and become consumed by its power?
What if you had the willpower to keep it somewhat suppressed while still reaping some of the benefits of its presence?
What if you somehow became strong enough to force it into a benign state and not have it affect you at all?

Personally, I don't look at it as a death sentence. I look at it as a tool to be harnessed to become something new altogether. To ascend. To dominate.

Good gracious, my Chaotic Evil is showing... eek

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

addict
addict
This is not normal ceremorophosis. And complete irreversible even with magic, if Wish can "cure" vampirism, it should cure ceremorophosis.

[quote=Warlocke]
This is nonsense, do not listen to them. The tadpole most certainly cannot be removed. (...)

Source? I an pretty sure that Wish, killing and reviving the target, reincarnation, miracle and other powerful magic CAN remove a tadpole.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by SorcererVictor
This is not normal ceremorophosis. And complete irreversible even with magic, if Wish can "cure" vampirism, it should cure ceremorophosis.

[quote=Warlocke]
This is nonsense, do not listen to them. The tadpole most certainly cannot be removed. (...)

Source? I an pretty sure that Wish, killing and reviving the target, reincarnation, miracle and other powerful magic CAN remove a tadpole.

Yes-yes. And that was such an obvious joke of Illithid role-playing from Llengrath.

Originally Posted by Zellin

[quote=Warlocke]

Yes-yes. And that was such an obvious joke of Illithid role-playing from Llengrath.

^

Besides what has already been said, the Githyanki, being the greatest Mind Flayer experts around and all, may have unique methods of removing Illithid tadpoles that go beyond the scope of common magic. After all, I imagine they get captured, implanted and rescued with some regularity.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Watch Community update #1 for some possible answer to that

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
I'm wondering if there really has to be such a finite end. I recall Larian saying that the driving motivation for the characters is to remove the tadpole, but what if there's another option?

What if you were going the evil route and wanted to embrace it and become consumed by its power?
What if you had the willpower to keep it somewhat suppressed while still reaping some of the benefits of its presence?
What if you somehow became strong enough to force it into a benign state and not have it affect you at all?

Personally, I don't look at it as a death sentence. I look at it as a tool to be harnessed to become something new altogether. To ascend. To dominate.

Good gracious, my Chaotic Evil is showing... eek

From the Steam description...

"Gather your party, and return to the Forgotten Realms in a tale of fellowship and betrayal, sacrifice and survival, and the lure of absolute power.

Mysterious abilities are awakening inside you, drawn from a Mind Flayer parasite planted in your brain. Resist, and turn darkness against itself. Or embrace corruption, and become ultimate evil. "

Your Chaotic Evil will be rewarded...maybe.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Think thig is; are YOU becoming evil?
Like, the tadpole devours your brain and replaces it. Even if it is one of those rare Mindflayers that gain 'Partialism' (IE: Keep some of the hosts memories), it's still not YOU.
You are dead. Your soul is in whatever afterlife you have in the Forgotten Realms. Your brain has been devoured and you are no more. You have ceased to be. You have shuffled off this mortal coil, as Monty Python would say.

Unless something is done that renders the parasite inert, and you drawing on it's power allows it to take you over.

Kind of like relying on the Dark God Gig's powers in Soul Nomad & The World Eaters. (Deep cut!) You can use his powers to pwn in combat, but every time you do, he comes closer and closer to devouring your soul. And he's up front about that, too. He flat out tells you he will take over your body and devour your soul.
All. The. Time.
..Well, when he's not insulting you for being a weakling. :P

addict
addict
"Normal" ceremorphosis doesn't give you powers, or have any of the "True Soul"/"The Absolute" elements that are evident in the trailers, so I guess we can expect something other than canon descriptions apply in this case.

veteran
veteran
It’s been confirmed on multiple post/streams that those are not normal tadpoles and they were created for the needs of BG3. What they actually do, however, remains to be seen. There a bits and pieces here and there but they are vague enough to be easily misinterpreted, and even if accurate it goes into potential spoiler category.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
It’s been confirmed on multiple post/streams that those are not normal tadpoles and they were created for the needs of BG3. What they actually do, however, remains to be seen. There a bits and pieces here and there but they are vague enough to be easily misinterpreted, and even if accurate it goes into potential spoiler category.

I used to think these were all Ulitharid tadpoles, but I am thinking that I'm mistaken.

mfr Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Zellin

[quote=Warlocke]

Watch out, there is a Skaven in Baldur's Gate!

Someone must have spiked her senna pod drink!

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard