Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#676890 04/10/20 06:33 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I know Larian has a solid reputation among fans and such. I'm not feeling cool with buying an unfinished game (inb4 angry & negative comments) and not having the whole thing until a year later. Why the delay? You're already using your fans as testees anyway? Lots of people were looking forward to this only to get half of a game and pay for the thing full price. I understand the "work put into it" but this is kind of a garbage excuse to give gamers an unfinished product and make them pay full price. The key here is making people wait an entire year and then on launch you can't even use your save or character. My fear is as soon as players decide to support paying for an unfinished product and waiting a year later is that we're going to see this practice A LOT more, not only from Larian but other companies as well. We are in a pandemic right now, and greed is not the answer.

W
veteran
veteran
W
So don’t buy it.

Why the delay?: The game isn’t finished yet.

We aren’t paying for an unfinished product. We are paying for the finished product which will be delivered to us upon completion. By paying now we get “early access.” It’s almost like there is a reason behind using those words. 😂

There are two scenarios here:

1: No Early Access
The game releases in about a year.

2: Early Access
The game releases in about a year with more features afforded by the revenue supplied by EA and better content design based on the data and feedback of EA.

In what universe is scenario 1 better than 2?

Last edited by Warlocke; 04/10/20 06:45 PM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Theonsbow
I know Larian has a solid reputation among fans and such. I'm not feeling cool with buying an unfinished game (inb4 angry & negative comments) and not having the whole thing until a year later. Why the delay? You're already using your fans as testees anyway? Lots of people were looking forward to this only to get half of a game and pay for the thing full price. I understand the "work put into it" but this is kind of a garbage excuse to give gamers an unfinished product and make them pay full price. The key here is making people wait an entire year and then on launch you can't even use your save or character. My fear is as soon as players decide to support paying for an unfinished product and waiting a year later is that we're going to see this practice A LOT more, not only from Larian but other companies as well. We are in a pandemic right now, and greed is not the answer.

You're paying for pre-order with early access function. You're not forced to buy unfinished game.

journeyman
journeyman
Will I enjoy Early Access?
You should not buy Baldur’s Gate 3 in Early Access if you want a polished experience.

Early Access gives you a chance at an early taste of what the gameplay will be like but we still have a lot of work ahead of us. While we did our best to remove the most annoying bugs and optimize the game as much as we could, there are still plenty of issues and it will take us time to fix them. Only buy the game now if you want an early look or if you want to participate in community feedback. Otherwise, you’re probably best off waiting until version 1.0 releases.

this is from the Steam page of Baldurs Gate 3. This was also repeatedly said in the last few livestreams / videos.

DONT BUY THE EA-VERSION IF ALL YOU WANT IS A FINISHED GAME.

[Insert something funny here]
addict
addict
You should change the name of this topic from Disappointment to Entitlement.

If you don't feel like playing in Early Access, then don't buy Early Access. Wait for a full release.
Games take time to develop, especially so when more than half of this year was shit on by a global pandemic.
The "work put into it" is the only excuse that matters, so you don't actually understand the tremendous amount of effort that it takes to develop a game in any way.
Also, not sure if you're new to the idea of Early Access, but it's been this way for many, many years.
If you don't want to pay for something that was very early on identified as an incomplete experience due to early access, then don't, but don't claim that a company that's been fantastic to its community for over 20 years is being greedy, especially when they're even allowing us access to the game in an unfinished state to begin with. It's ridiculous and you're clearly just trolling.

The audacity these days, I swear.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

Warlocke #676896 04/10/20 07:04 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Why are you so salty and toxic?

59.99 for an unfinished game? and the whole thing a year later?

Why do people get angry when others dont agree with them 😂😂😂😂

Last edited by Theonsbow; 04/10/20 07:04 PM.
W
veteran
veteran
W

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I wasn’t angry. Don’t be so defensive.

$59.99 for a finished game with early access to a pre-final build is fine with everyone here. It worked great for Larian’s previous titles.

What’s wrong with that? Nobody is forcing you to buy anything. Just wait for full release.

Last edited by Warlocke; 04/10/20 07:11 PM.
veteran
veteran
What a steaming pile.

If Larian did not put the game out for early access, and kept its development largely under wraps until full release, it would still take just about as long to finish developing. It would still cost just as much.

Nobody is going to put a gun to your head and force you to buy the game. You can sit back and wait for the full release and miss nothing. As it has been said, you are not buying an unfinished game. You are buying the completed game, except the completed game is not ready. Despite the game not being ready, you can have the opportunity to play it now and offer feedback.

If you only want the finished game, then wait for the finished game's release. It will cost the same amount.

Oh, it looks like your only purpose for being here is to troll. Go away.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Stabbey
What a steaming pile.

If Larian did not put the game out for early access, and kept its development largely under wraps until full release, it would still take just about as long to finish developing. It would still cost just as much.

Nobody is going to put a gun to your head and force you to buy the game. You can sit back and wait for the full release and miss nothing. As it has been said, you are not buying an unfinished game. You are buying the completed game, except the completed game is not ready. Despite the game not being ready, you can have the opportunity to play it now and offer feedback.

If you only want the finished game, then wait for the finished game's release. It will cost the same amount.

Oh, it looks like your only purpose for being here is to troll. Go away.

predictable "you don't agree so you're a troll"

yawn

Originally Posted by Warlocke
[quote=Theonsbow]Why are you so salty and toxic?

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I wasn’t angry. Don’t be so defensive.

$59.99 for a finished game with early access to a pre-final build is fine with everyone here. It worked great for Larian’s previous titles.

What’s wrong with that? Nobody is forcing you to buy anything. Just wait for full release.

DOS wasn't 59.99, it was 45. Whats wrongs with not wanting this to become a regular thing? You know paying full price for a game and not getting the real thing until a year later? Why the negativity and toxicity why cant you disagree without being an arsehole? I dont know? Because its the internet probably?

addict
addict
Buy when the game is finished. Simple. But how professional testers and players react to certain things is different. People are awaiting for a good D&D adaptation since nwn2(which require mods to be more faithful, and I know about pfkm but pfkm is pathfinder, not D&D, not set in FR), if Larian is willing to use EA, and people are willing to pay, what is the problem?

W
veteran
veteran
W
Paying full price for a game and getting it later is already a thing. Preorders.

What is wrong with early access being a regular thing?

I’ve not been an “arsehole.” You came here expecting to be greeted that way and now you are getting defensive and interpreting my posts through that filter because I disagree with you.

Larian treats its customers quite well. Don’t expect people to welcome you fondly when you start calling them greedy and their development practices garbage. That is negative and toxic.

While there is a lot wrong with the internet, this is a you problem, not an internet problem.

Last edited by Warlocke; 04/10/20 07:48 PM.
veteran
veteran
I called you a troll because you responded "Why are you so salty and toxic?" to a post which was clearly neither. That shows you're here to stir up nonsense. At least try and make it mildly original nonsense. Whining about the existence of EA has been done to death.

enthusiast
enthusiast

DOS wasn't 59.99, it was 45. Whats wrongs with not wanting this to become a regular thing? You know paying full price for a game and not getting the real thing until a year later? Why the negativity and toxicity why cant you disagree without being an arsehole? I dont know? Because its the internet probably?

Would you rather not pay 59.95$ right now but in one year and have the finished game? Would you like to pay less than 59.95$?

Paying right now and being able to play the unfinished game is good for almost everyone, since you dont have to wait at least one more year for a game you REALLY want to play, the company makes money right now and will deliver a better product because of that, the feedback of gamers will also help making the game better and you still be able to play the full game when it releases, at no extra cost since you already paid for it.

As for saying D:OS2 didnt cost 59.95, what was your point? It was made really clear early on that BG3 will be MUCH bigger than DOS2 and Larian has about 3 times the manpower it had while developping DOS2. 15$ is really not that much more to pay for a game of BG3's scope. Youre not ready to pay 59.95$ for a game of this caliber, now or in one year? Fine, just move on then.

Last edited by Gt27mustang; 04/10/20 09:25 PM.
G
apprentice
apprentice
G
Sorry OP, but your entire argument is childish. "Greed is not the answer", is so grossly irrelevant to what is happening here it makes me laugh at the absurdity.

Baldur's Gate 3 has no release date as of yet. It is not being released in 2020. They are launching an Early Access to those willing to play the unfinished product. Are you unhappy buying an unfinished product? Good news! You don't have to, because the game isn't going to come out this year.

Grow up.

You yourself praised the company and immediately discredited it for using the exact development model that has helped them reap enormous success on their previous titles.

Theonsbow, people are responding strongly because your argument is fairly ridiculous. Everyone is excited for EA in 2 days and very grateful to Larian for working so hard and well to deliver what looks to be a truly excellent game - so criticizing Larian over a more-than-justified $15 is absurd right now. Maybe you didn't understand why that'd be, but everyone else's posts explain it well.

veteran
veteran
I'm not feeling cool with buying an unfinished game (inb4 angry & negative comments) and not having the whole thing until a year later. Why the delay? You're already using your fans as testees anyway? Lots of people were looking forward to this only to get half of a game and pay for the thing full price.

If you feel that way you should absolutely wait for the full release - I, for one, don't know yet when I will be purchasing the game.

Game is not delayed - it is not finished.

Saves compatibility - it is not a game preview, it is a test build. It is for people who want to test mechanics and provide feedback. It misses companions and likely a decent chunk of content. The whole thing will be overhauled before it hits 1.0. Some EA games lends themselves more naturally to EA then others. For RPG with story and linear progression it doesn't. What you get is opening chunk of the game to explore mechanics, systems etc. It will spoil the experience somewhat. If you are not up for it, then don't play Early Access.

Full price - again, it depends how you see it. I personally don't like when games charge less for Early Access game. Why? Because I feel pressured to buy in early to get a better deal. I understand that EA doesn't provide value of full game. THAT'S FINE. You are not expected to participate. There is nothing to gain from participating, and you loose nothing by waiting. Larian is actively discouraging people from participating, if EA is not what they are interested in. Those players should wait for final release.

And yeah, EA release can be abused like many other practices which rely on trust. Still, Larian proved already that they treat EA seriously and take a good advantage of it. EA makes their games better. But if playing a rough early build and providing metrics/feedback isn't something you want to do - then wait for full release.

enthusiast
enthusiast
1. "I'm not feeling cool with buying an unfinished game"
> Then don't buy it? No pressure, buy it when you will feel cool.

2. "Why the delay?"
> What delay? It's not ready. Cooking takes time. Making games takes even longer.

3. [...] "give gamers an unfinished product and make them pay full price"
So you want to pay just half the price or want to pay just 10%, or just want 10% off? How about "not feeling cool with buying an unfinished game"? Will still be unfinished.

If you just want to pay less, just wait until is done, and after a while, there will be some Black Friday or something.

This Early Access version will be updated for free to the final version. So should be more expensive, because it's given more, not less, also given earlier, because we want it yesterday, though isn't ready yet...
Testing isn't required, I may pay and not do any testing, and even if I do, that won't be so good quality to ask to be paid.

journeyman
journeyman
...and i thought this kind of crap was only on steam forums ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

apprentice
apprentice
Do you even understand the concept of early access?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by voncastein
Do you even understand the concept of early access?

Why ask rhetorical questions lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard