Hey everyone, and welcome to the forums for Baldur’s Gate 3!

Please read below for our FAQ for the game, including system specs, races, classes and the best ways to get in touch with us should you have any issues with the game.

====================

GENERAL INFORMATION

What is Baldur’s Gate 3?
Baldur’s Gate 3 is a story-rich, party-based RPG set in the universe of Dungeons & Dragons where your choices shape a tale of fellowship & betrayal, survival & sacrifice, and the lure of absolute power.

Do I need to have played Baldur’s Gate 1 & 2 to be able to enjoy Baldur’s Gate 3?
Baldur’s Gate 3 is a new adventure set in the Forgotten Realms and focuses on new characters. You’ll see some familiar places and faces if you’ve played Baldur’s Gate 1 & 2, but you don’t need to have played them to enjoy Baldur’s Gate 3.

How long has the game been in development for?
A small team first started working on story and game design in late 2016. In January 2017 we received the official go from Wizards of the Coast in Seattle, while we were in the middle of Divinity: Original Sin 2's Early Access period. The team grew slowly before the whole team was briefed later in 2017 after the full release of DOS2 that September.

What game engine is being used?
Baldur’s Gate 3 has been built using the new Divinity 4.0 engine.

What platforms can I play the game on?
Baldur's Gate 3 is currently available to play in Early Access on PC and Mac.
The currently announced platforms for launch include Playstation 5, PC and Mac.

Is Baldur’s Gate 3 on Mac going to be developed at the same pace as PC?
We strive to keep all versions over all platforms in sync. During EA we will also aim to support cross-platform multiplayer.

Is the game coming to Playstation/Xbox/Nintendo Switch?
Baldur's Gate 3 is currently available to play in Early Access on PC and Mac.
The currently announced platforms for launch include Playstation 5, PC and Mac.

Xbox players, we’ve seen your questions about if/when you can expect Baldur’s Gate 3 on Xbox. We’ve had an Xbox version of Baldur’s Gate 3 in the works for some time, but we have run into some technical issues – particularly with split-screen co-op. We are still working on an Xbox version of BG3, but we’re not yet confident enough to announce it. We don’t like announcing anything until we’re ready, because we don’t want to get peoples hopes up until we’re sure we can deliver.

There’s no platform exclusivity preventing us from releasing BG3 on Xbox day and date, should that be a technical possibility. If and when we do announce further platforms, we want to make sure each version lives up to our standards & expectations. Thanks for understanding!

I have an issue, where can I get help?
Make sure you check out our Frequently Asked Questions page over at https://larian.com/support/. You can also get help at our forums http://forums.larian.com/, or via email at supportbg3@larian.com.

Are there any plans for a Collector's Edition?
Gather your party — Baldur’s Gate 3 launches August 31st 2023 and our Collector’s Edition is available for pre-order now: https://ce.baldursgate3.game/

What are the system requirements for Windows?

MINIMUM:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel i5-4690 / AMD FX 8350
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 970 / AMD RX 480 (4GB+ of VRAM)
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 150 GB available space
Additional Notes: Default API is Vulkan 1.1. Directx11 API also provided.

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel i7 8700K / AMD r5 3600
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia 2060 Super / AMD RX 5700 XT (8GB+ of VRAM)
DirectX: Version 11

What are the system requirements for Mac?

MINIMUM:
Processor: 2.6GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: AMD Radeon460 4GB
Minimum specs can run the game on low to medium settings. To meet minimum specs, you'll need a MacBook Pro 15 inch from 2016 or newer, with the above mentioned GPU. Or, a MacBook Pro 13 inch from 2018 or newer. M1 Chip requirements: MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, or Mac mini with Apple M1 chip and 8GB of RAM.

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: 2.3GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB
Recommended specs can run the game on high or ultra settings. You'll meet recommended specs if you have a MacBook Pro 15 inch or 16 inch from 2019 and upwith the above mentioned GPU. An iMac from 2017 or newer will also pull it off. M1 Chip requirements: MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, or Mac mini with Apple M1 chip and 16GB of RAM

Does the macOS version support eGPU?
Yes it does.

Why do I have to upgrade my macOS version?
Baldur's Gate 3 is a native macOS application that requires Metal 2.3 features. Metal is Apple's own graphics and shader API included with macOS. To make full use of all its power, at least macOS 10.15.6 is required.

I'm a tech guru, interested in what's under the hood. What kind of MacOS port is this?
The MacOS build of Baldur's Gate 3 does not use MoltenVK: it uses Metal 2.3. The Metal renderer is completely standalone. There is no Win32 code running, It's fully compiled by XCode 11.5.

Can I buy the game on the macOS App Store?
No not yet. It is currently only available on GOG and Steam.

How do I play Baldur’s Gate 3 through GeForce NOW?
You can now experience Baldur’s Gate 3 across more devices with GeForce NOW, from underpowered PCs to unsupported devices. All you have to do is head to NVidia’s website and follow their steps to create a membership (you will need to own the game in your Steam library): https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce-now/memberships/
You can find more information on NVidia’s GeForce NOW FAQ: https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce-now/faq

What's the difference between DX11 and Vulkan mode?
Vulkan presents a potential performance increase over DX11 in most cases, though may be slightly less stable for now. We generally recommend you use Vulkan, the default Graphics API.

The Vulkan implementation of Baldur’s Gate 3 is still in Early Access. We are actively working on performance improvements and stability. We want to collect as much feedback as possible, but it should not be used to measure overall performance at this stage. If you are having performance issues, please try the DX11 API instead, which is available through the launcher.

What is a Larian Account?
A Larian Studios account gives you access to our online services, such as Cross Save, as well as exclusive content. The Larian Account backend is also in early access and the services provided will grow over time.

Which services will be available with my Larian Account?
If you connect your account to Twitch, it will enable our Baldur’s Gate 3 extension on your channel and link it to the game. This way, your audience can interact with you directly on the choices you make in the game!

What are you collecting when I submit information and does it contain any personal information?
We gather data that helps us improve the game. How much gold do you have, when do you level up, where do you die, when do you equip a different weapon. We don't know your name, email address, IP address, your hardware details, or your Steam name, and we don't know your location. We are only interested in what goes on in the game. When you crash and you report it, only the crash dump is included. There is a text field where you can fill in details and you are responsible for what you fill in.

I don’t want to send gameplay data.
In the Larian Launcher, before starting the game, please click on the settings cog in the bottom left in the next screen there is a check box at the top that says “Send Stats” when you uncheck this box and save changes, you will no longer send us data.

My Larian Account services are not working in-game. What should I do?
The following needs to happen for you to be logged into the services:
Your platform account needs to be linked to your current Larian Account.
You need to launch the game from the linked platform Account (Steam, GOG currently)
If you are launching the game manually without any platform client running, the services will not activate.

GENERAL EARLY ACCESS INFORMATION

Why are we doing Early Access?
Through releasing Divinity: Original Sin and Divinity: Original Sin 2, we’ve learned that working directly with our players during development makes our games better. RPGs this large, with so many avenues for player choice and exploration, thrive from feedback as new features and fixes are incrementally added to the game.

Early Access gives players a chance to participate in development, and it gives us an opportunity to explore different game ideas with a live community to find what works best. We want to learn how you play the game and use that to make it a better experience for everyone.

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
The price of the game will remain $59.99 USD / £49.99 GBP / 59,99€ EUR at launch. As Steam makes periodic changes to their recommended regional pricing to reflect changes in purchasing power and currencies around the world, the price in other currencies may change to reflect Steam’s most recent recommendations.

If I buy Early Access, will I have to purchase the game again when the full game releases?
No, you only need to purchase the game once. If you buy Early Access, you will also get the game at release.

How much content is in Early Access?
As of Patch 9 (December 2022), the Early Access version of Baldur’s Gate 3 includes Act 1 of the game – that’s approx 25-35 hours of content, and potentially much more than that if you’re someone who likes to create new characters to explore different paths. Player levels are currently capped at 5.

How long will the game be in Early Access?
We expect to launch Baldur’s Gate 3 on August 31st, 2023.

Will Early Access saves be compatible with the full release?
No. Due to the amount of updates and changes expected during the Early Access stage and at launch, saves made during Early Access will not be compatible with the full version of the game when it releases.

Is there going to be a perma-death option similar to D&D?
Difficulty options won't be available during Early Access, but we will be looking at feedback as we decide what kind of options to include. These may include implementations of perma-death.

Can I use a controller?
Controllers are not currently supported on PC or Mac during Early Access. The game will have full controller support on launch.

Can I get achievements in Early Access?
No, there will not be any achievements for Early Access.

Will there be trading cards in Early Access?
No, there will not be trading cards in Early Access.

Will there be modding support in Early Access?
Modding will be supported sometime after launch, but not during Early Access. We loved what our modding community did with DOS2, and we’re excited to see what they’ll do with BG3.

What languages are available for Early Access?
English, French, German, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Spanish, Turkish, and Portuguese-Brazil.

What is the best way to report issues/feedback to the team?
The Larian Forums - http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm
Steam Forums - https://steamcommunity.com/app/1086940/discussions/
Discord - discord.gg/larianstudios
Reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/

GAME CONTENT INFORMATION

What is an Origin character?
Origin Characters are pre-designed characters. You can select them during character creation to start your adventure in their shoes (not available during Early Access, but will be added at launch) or you can recruit them during your journey. Origin Characters come with personal backstories, quests and motivations, and have unique ways of interacting with the world, whether you're playing as them or alongside them. If recruited as companions, their previous experiences and attitudes will influence their opinion about what you should do and how you should behave. Everything that you do or say might influence the course of your relationship with them, and determine whether you'll become friends, lovers, rivals, or bitter enemies.
If you create a custom character, you have the freedom to define your race, class and appearance, and you'll still find yourself embedded in the story of Baldur's Gate 3 through personal connections to the events that unfold. Exactly how is something we'll let you discover as you play.

Can I create a custom character?
Yes, you will be able to create a custom character.

Can I play as an Origin character during Early Access?
You will not be able to play as an Origin character during Early Access. You will be able to recruit three of our five Origin characters into your party, so you can experience them as a companion to start off with.

Can I change the class of the Origin characters when I recruit them?
Not during Early Access, but we are planning to provide that option at launch.

Can I roll for my stats?
In Early Access we're using Point Buy as the main way to determine stats in Character Creation, but we've heard that there are big fans of rolling stats out there.

What level can I get up to in Early Access?
In Early Access you can progress to level 5.

What Races can I choose from?
In Early Access you can choose from the following 16 Races and Sub-races:
Human
Drow
-Seldarine Drow
-Lolth-Sworn Drow
Elf
- High Elf
- Wood Elf
Half-Elf
- High Half-Elf
- Wood Half-Elf
- Drow Half-Elf
Tiefling
- Asmodeus Tiefling
- Mephistopheles Tiefling
- Zariel Tiefling
Dwarf
- Gold
- Shield
Halfling
- Lightfoot Halfling
- Strongheart Halfling
Githyanki
Gnome
- Rock Gnome
- Deep Gnome

What Classes are available to choose from?
In Early Access you can choose from the following Classes:
-Cleric
-Fighter
-Ranger
-Rogue
-Warlock
-Wizard
-Druid
-Bard
-Paladin

Can I play solo without any other characters, or a Lone Wolf mode?
It’s a request that we get a lot. We’ll look into it.

Will in-game updates/new content cost additional money? Will it be a mix of paid and free DLC?
No, all updates/new content coming during the Early Access period will be free.

Can I Pet The Dog?
There are multiple dogs in the game and you will be able to pet some of them! At the beginning of Early Access you can pet one dog and one owlbear, but there will be more things to pet!

MULTIPLAYER CONTENT INFORMATION

Is there multiplayer in Early Access?
Yes, there will be 4 player online multiplayer. In 4 player online multiplayer, players can either start a multiplayer journey together and both create their own custom character (origin character will not be available as main player characters at the start of Early Access) or join a friends single player game during the adventure. In this case they will take over a companion.

Is there Cross Play?
As of Patch 9, Direct Connection works between Steam and GOG on PC & Mac.

Will there be split-screen in Early Access?
Split screen will not be available on Early Access, but will be available on launch.

Will there be DM/GM mode?
There will not be DM/GM mode in Early Access.

How can I enable the Twitch integration for my stream?
You can install the Twitch extension directly via Twitch. Here is a direct link to the download: https://dashboard.twitch.tv/extensions/sf4o3dj6bllwt1y4ndq2yaj5d9woh2. Alternatively, you can find the extension by going to your creator dashboard, clicking on the extension menu on the left and either direct search for Baldur’s Gate 3, or click on “extensions for games”. If you connect your Larian account to Twitch, it will automatically enable Baldur’s Gate 3 extension on your channel and link it to the game. This way, your audience can interact with you directly on the choices you make in the game!

LORE INFORMATION

Is it the sequel of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2?
Yes. The story takes place 100 years after the events in Baldur’s Gate 2 and shortly after the events of Descent into Avernus. We don’t want to spoil anything about the story but it will be connected to the previous games in meaningful ways.

How is the storyline linked to D&D?
Baldur’s Gate 3 takes place right after the events of Descent into Avernus. The holy city of Elturel disappeared from the Forgotten Realms and descended into Avernus, the first layer of the Nine Hells. In our canon, it was saved by a party of heroes. The game is based on the 5th edition ruleset of D&D and was created closely together with Wizards of the Coast.

How do camps work in the game, and how big of a role do they play?
Camping plays an important role. Camp is where your party rests and recovers (HP and spells). You can also engage in dialogues with companions, including romance. You'll also find NPCs on your adventure who join the camp temporarily or on a more permanent basis, becoming camp followers. Some will offer services, others have a narrative function.

Is your party permanent or can you change members out throughout the adventure?
Recruited companions will be at camp when not in the adventuring party, and can be swapped in and out at camp.

GAME EDITIONS

For those buying the Collector’s Edition, how will the digital content be delivered?
For the Steam copy of the game, the digital content will be provided in three separate keys:
- Baldur's Gate 3 key
- Digital Deluxe Upgrade key
- Collector's Edition Dice Skin key
For the PS5 copy of the game, all digital content will be delivered with one single key.

I already own Baldur’s Gate for PC on Early Access, do I have to buy another copy for the Digital Deluxe Edition content?
You don’t have to! If you own Baldur’s Gate 3 on PC/Mac or are planning to purchase it on Early Access before launch, you will get a free upgrade to the Digital Deluxe Edition! Since This edition includes 72h of early access, this means you will get access to the Digital Deluxe Edition content on August 28th!
The same goes for owners of our Collector’s Edition.

What are the differences between editions of Baldur’s Gate 3?
Check out this handy chart for the rundown of the differences between editions:
[Linked Image from cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com]

Will there be physical PS5 copies of Baldur’s Gate 3?
There are no plans at the moment to release a physical edition of Baldur’s Gate 3.

If I buy the Collector’s Edition of Baldur’s Gate 3 will I receive the items and the game key in time to enjoy the 72h early access?
We aim to have all Collector’s Editions delivered by August 28th 2023.

How does the 72h early access to Act 1 work?
All owners of the Digital Deluxe Edition of Baldur’s Gate 3 will be able to access the game 72h before launch day, on August 28th.
This early access will contain the final launch version of Act 1 and the saves will carry on and be compatible with the full game on August 31st.

If I have purchased the game in Early Access for PC, would I be able to switch to the PS5 version upon release?
Unfortunately, it will not be possible to transfer the Steam or GOG release of the game to PS5, as they are different platforms with independent storefronts.

USEFUL LINKS
Game website: https://baldursgate3.game/
Larian Studios website: http://larian.com
Larian Studios Support: https://larian.com/support/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/larianstudios
Twitter: https://twitter.com/baldursgate3
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LarianStudios
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BaldursGate3
Discord: https://discord.com/invite/larianstudios
Giphy: https://giphy.com/larianstudios
Larian Forums: http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

Last edited by Salo; 10/05/23 10:58 AM.