Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#677442 06/10/20 08:08 PM
OP Offline
Hello, I just started playing this game (I haven't gotten passed the room with the intellect devourer yet) and I wanted to give some early feedback/suggestions/observations:

The Auto save at the beginning of the game froze it for a few seconds, making me think it had crashed the moment I attempted to move my character. I was able to pull up the options menu though, and when I returned to the game I was greeted with the notification that the game had auto saved.

Acid splash does no damage to the Brine bulb. I see by examining it that it is immune to Poison. Feedback that 0 damage was done, or that it is invulnerable/immune would be helpful for the player.

The intellect devourer that you can hear as you explore can be heard through the main menu/pause screen. Can we turn voice/sound off when in the options menu?

I do not like the dice rolling system. We cannot see how our proficiencies play a role in determining the outcome. I believe the way it works is the DC to meet/overcome is lowered, but that is not outright explained, so it seems like there is just a straight d20 roll with no indication that your proficiencies have been accounted for. I would prefer that the DC not change, but that the game allows you to roll, then shows it adding or subtracting your proficiency in the skill you are rolling. Having the game also show you your bonus proficiency while in the dialogue tree may be worth investigating as well. Something like [Strength +0] Force the brain out of the head.

EDIT: I just attempted an investigation on the brain during the conversation where it wants you to free it. The Target was 5 to beat. I rolled a 3. That should be impossible for me, as I have proficiency in investigation with a 16 in intelligence. That puts my total proficiency at +5 for investigation rolls, so the lowest I should be able to roll would be a 6.

Piggybacking off of the above, I cannot review what I have been rolling in the combat tracker nor the dialogue history. I would like to see my total rolls so I can see how poorly or well I am rolling, along with my proficiencies being added into those rolls as well. This also includes the background rolls that are being done for me. For example, when talking to the intellect devourer, you can pass or fail a perception roll and an arcana roll. Were these rolls passive, or was an actual roll done in the background? I would like to know, and again, with numbers included so I know why I passed or failed.

Last edited by dreambled; 06/10/20 08:35 PM.
veteran
veteran
I agree on more feedback for dice rolls displaying proficiencies and attribute bonuses - maluses

L
stranger
stranger
L
Hey I dont know if this coincides with what you're asking but also allow me to give some feedback:

Hey Larian; it would be nice during the Combat Tutorial to add a 4th message; and that is...showing a very small window far right side of screen; what looks like a small arrow? As this window (that is hidden {on default?]) is the place that shows how much damage we do to creature/or against us. Maybe the dice values? idk But it wasnt until 2hrs later I stumbled upon this window hahaha

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by dreambled
Hello, I just started playing this game (I haven't gotten passed the room with the intellect devourer yet) and I wanted to give some early feedback/suggestions/observations:

EDIT: I just attempted an investigation on the brain during the conversation where it wants you to free it. The Target was 5 to beat. I rolled a 3. That should be impossible for me, as I have proficiency in investigation with a 16 in intelligence. That puts my total proficiency at +5 for investigation rolls, so the lowest I should be able to roll would be a 6.

Piggybacking off of the above, I cannot review what I have been rolling in the combat tracker nor the dialogue history. I would like to see my total rolls so I can see how poorly or well I am rolling, along with my proficiencies being added into those rolls as well. This also includes the background rolls that are being done for me. For example, when talking to the intellect devourer, you can pass or fail a perception roll and an arcana roll. Were these rolls passive, or was an actual roll done in the background? I would like to know, and again, with numbers included so I know why I passed or failed.

The game already takes into account your proficiency, without your proficiency and your int bonus you would have needed a 10, but because you had those stats you only needed a 5.
Average person would have no idea how their int or their proficiency impacted the roll, that's why the game tells you what you need to roll with all your bonuses taken into account.

veteran
veteran
Still it can't hurt to provide more information

stranger
stranger
I will preface this complaint with the fact that I haven't played much past the tutorial or did much fact checking. However to add to the misinformation, or lack thereof in these dice rolls. I've encountered problems with the damage formula, at least in the tutorial. For example, the lady Githyanki swings her sword for 1d6+STR (or 3 at this point in time.) So why am I doing 2 damage to the imps? I'm not sure if there's some sort of new hidden feature within the Armor Class system to reduce damage or if the imps were resistant to slashing or if damage was capped to make the tutorial not too difficult or too easy, but it felt like I couldn't trust the dice rolls.

So I've just been told that they had resistance to said damage so I will retract my earlier statement. Thank you for the help.

Last edited by SmokeoScreen; 06/10/20 10:21 PM. Reason: Was wrong
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by SmokeoScreen
I will preface this complaint with the fact that I haven't played much past the tutorial or did much fact checking. However to add to the misinformation, or lack thereof in these dice rolls. I've encountered problems with the damage formula, at least in the tutorial. For example, the lady Githyanki swings her sword for 1d6+STR (or 3 at this point in time.) So why am I doing 2 damage to the imps? I'm not sure if there's some sort of new hidden feature within the Armor Class system to reduce damage or if the imps were resistant to slashing or if damage was capped to make the tutorial not too difficult or too easy, but it felt like I couldn't trust the dice rolls.

The imps have resistance (they take half damage) to nonmagical weapons. If you click the arrows in the right hand side you can see the damage calculation, including seeing that the damage was halved. Playing a rogue, I was worried my sneak attack damage wasn't being applied correctly before I saw that they had resistance.

Last edited by Maxximenez; 06/10/20 09:34 PM.
stranger
stranger
Out of interest, when setting up character before entering game I wanted to check if I'm missing something.

I setup the first character, went through each of the tabs along the top of the screen with the right arrow. After stepping off the last tab I was taken to a brand new female Drow character for which there were no tabs along the top of the screen, just character appearance (and sub-class) choices in the right hand side menu.

When then joining the game I started with the original character so what was the point of the 2nd character?

On an unrelated note, interesting to see that Myrnath still appears to groan and move about even with a totally empty head. Somewhat unexpected given the, you know, totally....empty.....head. :)

ok, back to it.

stranger
stranger
why would proficiency reduce the DC, that is not how D&D / 5e works. The DC should be static and the bonus added to your dice roll, so in the example presented +2 (proficiency) + 3 (INT) should mean you get a d20 roll (3) + (5) = 8 vs. DC 10 - FAILED. This is important because it can be shown to the player and I've no idea why the game would be programmed to take the backward method of subtracting proficiency/bonuses from the DC. Everything since the 2nd edition THAC0 (To Hit AC Zero) has done away with subtraction based math and instead has been about applying bonuses. Why go backwards in how it is presented?

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Spudzeebee
Out of interest, when setting up character before entering game I wanted to check if I'm missing something.

I setup the first character, went through each of the tabs along the top of the screen with the right arrow. After stepping off the last tab I was taken to a brand new female Drow character for which there were no tabs along the top of the screen, just character appearance (and sub-class) choices in the right hand side menu.

When then joining the game I started with the original character so what was the point of the 2nd character?

On an unrelated note, interesting to see that Myrnath still appears to groan and move about even with a totally empty head. Somewhat unexpected given the, you know, totally....empty.....head. smile

ok, back to it.

If you have the ingame sounds on, you hear a voice asking what you desire. So I am assuming it will be a love interest or something along those lines.

Originally Posted by Maxximenez
Originally Posted by SmokeoScreen

The imps have resistance (they take half damage) to nonmagical weapons. If you click the arrows in the right hand side you can see the damage calculation, including seeing that the damage was halved. Playing a rogue, I was worried my sneak attack damage wasn't being applied correctly before I saw that they had resistance.

I was looking if someone had answered this. I thought the same when I originally saw my damage numbers.

Link Copied to Clipboard