Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Just a short impression:

Everything that bugged me about the combat in DOS2 seems to be polished up to a point that I don't even think about it. Kudos.

Character creation is nice and in depth - but the whole "create your dream man/woman" thing was jarring and makes me worried at just how prevalent the romance is going to be. I don't like this. It's a bit cringe.

Lots of optimization issues to be tweaked as EA goes on, especially in flashing shadows/lights.

I am thoroughly enjoying myself so far.

veteran
veteran
The disgusting surface system: is it gone?

apprentice
apprentice
That was too weird for me too , I don't dream about romance in a RPG but that puts me in the minority. Apparently just playing the game isn't good enough for some peoples. I plan on poking around and seeing what I can find outside of the story focus. Edit - Apparently you can't skip past the dream thing , went back and am trying. Shouldn't be forcing me to make choices in a game Larian.

Last edited by Oinkus; 06/10/20 09:18 PM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Still downloading. Some youtubers pointed out somehow combat is the weak point of the game. Those who can already play, how is it for you so far?

Thanks for posting! More reports please, till we can get this bug fixed about not launching!

Has anybody kissed that Goblin's foot yet? Hopefully not!

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
It's very cringe. If romances happen, alright. I quite liked them in Mass Effect because it's not forced. But the way BG3 handles this during character creation gives me some f95zone vibes and I don't like it.

Last edited by Daniel213; 06/10/20 08:40 PM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Daniel213
It's very cringe. If romances happen, alright. I quite liked them in Mass Effect. But the way BG3 handles this during character creation gives me some f95zone vibes and I don't like it.

In what way? Can you elaborate?

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Originally Posted by Nyanko
Originally Posted by Daniel213
It's very cringe. If romances happen, alright. I quite liked them in Mass Effect. But the way BG3 handles this during character creation gives me some f95zone vibes and I don't like it.

In what way? Can you elaborate?

Feels like one of those dating simulators.

Last edited by Daniel213; 06/10/20 08:42 PM.
stranger
stranger
I have no issue with the whole "who is in your dreams" thing. We all might have our own "dreams", so being asked who you dream of, is not a hassle for me.

MY hassle, is in trying to get off the damn Mindflayer ship in the first place. Have not been able to master the jump mechanic. I keep getting told, "no space" or "too high". (after riding the elevator up and coming toward the front of the scree is a 'shelf'. Game says to use jump, then I can't. Ran along the outside of the ship, goes nowhere. Came back inside and ran up along the wall in starting chamber.

Spent 2 1/2 hours DL'ing and installing, an hour trying to get off the dam ship....

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
The disgusting surface system: is it gone?

No, surfaces and surface interaction is in, although probably subdued from DOS. Surfaces interacting is something which is not in the tabletop rules, except at the discretion of the DM, but it is a thing which makes sense.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Originally Posted by Jharryl
I have no issue with the whole "who is in your dreams" thing. We all might have our own "dreams", so being asked who you dream of, is not a hassle for me.

MY hassle, is in trying to get off the damn Mindflayer ship in the first place. Have not been able to master the jump mechanic. I keep getting told, "no space" or "too high". (after riding the elevator up and coming toward the front of the scree is a 'shelf'. Game says to use jump, then I can't. Ran along the outside of the ship, goes nowhere. Came back inside and ran up along the wall in starting chamber.

Spent 2 1/2 hours DL'ing and installing, an hour trying to get off the dam ship....

When you leave the first chamber and are forced to do your first jump, ignore the circle and point OUTSIDE the circle. (If thats one of the difficulties you're encountering.) In my case, the circle was just not reaching the other side of the cliff and there was no way to reach the other side. But when I just clicked outside the circle, my character suddenly jumped over the cliff. She was able to do a longer jump than visually indicated. Wonky as hell.

apprentice
apprentice
I kind of like the whole "who do you dream about" thing. When the dream sequence or whatever uses it comes around, its a neat idea for Larian to have done it, I think it adds immersion. It kind of ruins the surprise though, but the tradeoff is worth it.

N
old hand
old hand
N
In the dream question, does it include a succubus? Cause if it doesn't I will simply skip the thing :P

W
veteran
veteran
W
I’m willing to bet a succubus approaches the protagonist in the form most appealing to them, and that is the point of that feature.

Larian has also said that custom characters will have more connection to the story, so this dream character might be an actual character who is part of the custom protagonist’s personal story, perhaps a resident of Baldur’s Gate.

Or it could be both these ideas.

Last edited by Warlocke; 06/10/20 10:05 PM.
mfr Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Jharryl

I agree, a tutorial would be useful here. The problem is the amount of run up to a jump, I think. The jump does not work in confined spaces. A little later on there are places where a jump will work. Click on the jump option and then move the mouse to see where you can get to. You will see a ghost action (pale white). Click if that is where you want to go.

Instruction on how to call up the map would also be helpful. This makes it a bit easier to navigate. I suspect Larian will work on a tutorial to make this stage easier. I feel happier now that I have got my little brain puppy and a hacked off gythyanki companion. Happy adventuring!

Someone must have spiked her senna pod drink!
enthusiast
enthusiast
There's like close to 70,000 players on Steam alone simultaneously, for an Early Access RPG release, which is insane (and the numbers have been rising for hours).

They all seem pretty busy playing though, as most boards are dominated with different talk than what the EA actually, well, plays like.

Which probably is a good sign.

Me personally? Still downloading. laugh

Last edited by Sven_; 06/10/20 10:15 PM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Many people seem to have problems with Vulkan. I will start with DX11 right away until Larian comes up with a patch.

stranger
stranger
This STEAM player, just submitted for refund. 85 minutes of play.

veteran
veteran
Short opinion after a few hours :

The game looks cool but it doesn't look like the amazing game I was waiting.

First of all... as I said in another topic, I'm very dissapointed with jump... this is just a part of every combats because this is a bonus action for everyone.
You disengage with jump, you flee with jump, you go further with jump... Nearly everyone has to jump at every turn just to move a little bit more...

Then the surfaces. As I feared, there are surfaces everywhere again.
Probably not as much as in DoS but it's again something that happen in every combat and every situation.
Still the usual barrel of poison, grease and so on everywhere so you can flame 35m².

They also add difficult terrain, which is a good idea but another "surface" to deal with...
Everywhere, your companions are stuck, then take damage you don't really understand why... That was because the bush you walked on, that was roots with spines... I can't really see the added value atm.

About the combat system it's very, very slow.
It's not bad but we talked a lot about the flow of combats in TB system and.... it's very dissapointing especially the combat in front of the druid grove (with ""many"" monsters and allies).
Maybe the team initiative system could be better... Wasteland 3 did something like that and it's really better to me.

The UI don't help... There are many spells and abilities. That's cool but I really think the game need to sort them instead of adding every single usable objects and new ability in the action bar.
I'm totally fine with management but I don't want to manage action bar every 2 hours... 1 tab for minor spells, 1 tab for spells, 1 tab for items, 1 tab for weapons, 1 tab for special abilities and you don't have to do anything instead of playing.

Not talking about inventory and equipement screen because I guess it's gonna be improve. Actually it's really not confortable.

The cinematics everywhere when to talk to NPC is also something that annoys me a little... It's beautifull but it breaks the flow of the game... sometimes for totally uninterresting dialogs (I'm fine with uninterresting dialogs).
Maybe the should keep that for specific situations connected to the main story and not every single dialogs with random NPCs...

Don't know... I guess my hype was to high.
This is absoluetely an overhaul of Larian's game and it looks great on many points but atm, it's absolutely not enough to me.
Anyway I'll play it again tomorrow.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
journeyman
journeyman
I don't know if anyone has thought/brought this up: dream people are plot tools for illithids when manipulating victims via dreams.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard