Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
addict
addict
"Baldur's Gate 3 shows an incredible amount of devotion to the D&D ruleset, but a few spells had to be altered in order to fit within the video game environment. These include Fire Bolt dealing 1d6 damage instead of 1d10, Shocking Grasp not dealing additional damage to enemies wearing metal armor, and Blindness/Deafness being changed to Blindness, as there is no deafness status effect." https://www.thegamer.com/baldurs-gate-3-biggest-differences-dnd-dungeons-dragons/

Thanks everyone. Will wait until modders fixes this game. NWN2 is unplayable without spell fixes. Looks like BG3 will be unplayable without spell fixes too.

Did they ruined eldritch blast and other spells too???

Any way that I can get notification when someone makes spell fixes for BG3?

Last edited by SorcererVictor; 06/10/20 06:27 PM.
veteran
veteran
I believe the reasoning behind the different spell damage is that they also apply status effects, so Fire Bolt applies the burning status, which deals some additional damage. That doesn't mean that all the changes will meet with universal approval.... but it's also not constructive or productive to close your mind and say "CHANGE = BAD", as if that's the end of it.

It is also EA and most things are subject to change and adjustment.

But if you choose to walk away, I can't say I'll miss your one-note "necromancy necromancy necromancy" posting that much.

Last edited by Stabbey; 06/10/20 07:32 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Stabbey
I(...)but it's also not constructive or productive to close your mind and say "CHANGE = BAD", as if that's the end of it.(...)

After seeing ALL of your favorite classes and play styles being nerfed to oblivion and butchered to oblivion in DOZENS of games, you will become more skeptical about "changes".

As for necromancy, necromancy is one of my favorite schools of magic which devs seems to hate with passion and do everything that they can to make it worthless. And I din't say that I will not buy. I will just wait until modders fixes the nerfs; took a long time to get spell fixes for nwn2, will take some time to get it on BG3.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I believe the reasoning behind the different spell damage is that they also apply status effects, so Fire Bolt applies the burning status, which deals some additional damage. That doesn't mean that all the changes will meet with universal approval.... but it's also not constructive or productive to close your mind and say "CHANGE = BAD", as if that's the end of it.

It is also EA and most things are subject to change and adjustment.

But if you choose to walk away, I can't say I'll miss your one-note "necromancy necromancy necromancy" posting that much.

So they added completely unnecessary stuff while changing the core rules. Interesting. I really fail to see why some of them are necessary or useful.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I really don't get why shocking grasp doesn't do the extra effect: are they that lazy that they didn't implement some sort of check? And did removing alignments sound like a smart idea at all? How is that even going to work with protection from good/evil? Or with any spell/ item that deals extra damage to alignments? Didn't Swen say something like: play your opposite alignment etc

Last edited by Dark_Ansem; 06/10/20 09:03 PM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
I really don't get why shocking grasp doesn't do the extra effect: are they that lazy that they didn't implement some sort of check? And did removing alignments sound like a smart idea at all? How is that even going to work with protection from good/evil? Or with any spell/ item that deals extra damage to alignments? Didn't Swen say something like: play your opposite alignment etc

Removing alignments was Wizard of the Coast’s idea, not Larian’s. Player alignment is not a big part of 5E. Nobody in my group actively writes down our alignments. Protection From Good and Evil gives bonuses against certain types of creatures in 5E, such as undead, fiends, celestial sand fey.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Warlocke

Removing alignments was Wizard of the Coast’s idea, not Larian’s. Player alignment is not a big part of 5E. Nobody in my group actively writes down our alignments. Protection From Good and Evil gives bonuses against certain types of creatures in 5E, such as undead, fiends, celestial sand fey.

Really? when did they say that? I find it weird.

W
veteran
veteran
W

Swen said it somewhere. Maybe the Dead Pixels interview? He said that originally you selected an alignment and it would be more integrated into the game systems but WotC said to scale it back. It’s not really weird if you know 5E. Alignment plays a much less prominent role in the game mechanics (almost none) and is really only a planar lore feature now. I personally prefer it this way.

addict
addict
Can someone confirm that Cunning Action can only be used for Dash?
Can you still hide during combat?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Danielbda

Cunning Action gives you a second bonus action. I'm not sure if it can be used for Dash at all. I'd have to re-check.

I believe you can still hide during combat.

Swen said it somewhere. Maybe the Dead Pixels interview? He said that originally you selected an alignment and it would be more integrated into the game systems but WotC said to scale it back. It’s not really weird if you know 5E. Alignment plays a much less prominent role in the game mechanics (almost none) and is really only a planar lore feature now. I personally prefer it this way.

Not really WotC has plenty references personally I am all for it and every group inhave been in chooses one as it assists in role playing. But here's isna great article about alighnment in 5e

https://theangrygm.com/alignment-in-dd-5e-s-or-get-off-the-pot/

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Danielbda

Cunning Action gives you a second bonus action. I'm not sure if it can be used for Dash at all. I'd have to re-check.

I believe you can still hide during combat.

If so, great, Rogue can play like Rogue.
Apparently only a few feats were implemented, but it kinda bugs me that GWM was implemented and Sharpshooter was not, given that it is its "sister" feat. Due to TWF being severely underpowered in 5E compared to previous editions, you kinda have an incentive to go for ranged combat with DEX based characters. So I hope they are not cutting SS and it is only an EA thing.

Last edited by Danielbda; 06/10/20 11:41 PM.
legendary actions.are basicaly creature scripted I don't see how that can't be added

Originally Posted by tsundokugames
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/the-temple-of-elemental-evil-review/1900-6075564/

Original game review for ToEE. Paragraph one talks about it's buggy nature. ToEE was a huge buggy mess that was heavily patched by the modding community. It wasn't a masterpiece by any measure.

You know what game is a masterpiece? The trilogy of Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn, and the Throne of Bhaal. The quintessential cRPG experience that defined the genre for DECADES. And, like it or not, Siege of Dragonspear is an excellent canonical entry sanctioned by WotC that resolves plot holes and expands on the lore of the the Dragonspear Wars. It failed because of rabbid fans who pilloried Amber Scott (whose own excessive response rightfully marked her a pariah) and Beamdog for superficial political reasons.

ToEE was a fun but ultimately forgettable and generic RPG that did nothing exemplary in any way, and that no one tried to copy because of how lack luster it really was. The only people who talk about ToEE today are Larian fans defending BG3 design choices. You can read all about the debate here:

http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=652913

Toee was fantastic after co8 patch. A masterpiece of one of the best dungeons ever created

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by wpmaura
[quote=Warlocke]

Not really WotC has plenty references personally I am all for it and every group inhave been in chooses one as it assists in role playing. But here's isna great article about alighnment in 5e

That article is predicated in alignment barely even being in D&D anymore. That’s explicitly what the article is about...

Anyway, everybody is entitled to their own opinion, and mine is throughly f—- alignment. My group sees it as a crutch more than an aid to role playing, and we are happy to play without it.

addict
addict
My group sees it as a crutch more than an aid to role playing, and we are happy to play without it.

Alingment are not just concepts on D&D universe. Order VS Chaos and Good VS Evil are FORCES in constant conflict. A campaign in mid of a war among devils and demons is far more a chaos vs order than good vs evil,. A LG paladin struggling to chose between "law" or "good" when he is on a L.E. town...

Back on 2e, clerics and paladins could even lose his powers if they step away from their deity's alignment.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by SorcererVictor
My group sees it as a crutch more than an aid to role playing, and we are happy to play without it.

Alingment are not just concepts on D&D universe. Order VS Chaos and Good VS Evil are FORCES in constant conflict. A campaign in mid of a war among devils and demons is far more a chaos vs order than good vs evil,. A LG paladin struggling to chose between "law" or "good" when he is on a L.E. town...

Back on 2e, clerics and paladins could even lose his powers if they step away from their deity's alignment.

That is correct. How does 5e handle fallen paladins?

W
veteran
veteran
W

And? ...
What does that have to do with anything I said?

W
veteran
veteran
W

That is correct. How does 5e handle fallen paladins?

Fallen Paladins (oathbreaker) is a subclass for paladins who break their oaths.

Originally Posted by wpmaura
[quote=Warlocke]

That article is predicated in alignment barely even being in D&D anymore. That’s explicitly what the article is about...

Anyway, everybody is entitled to their own opinion, and mine is throughly f—- alignment. My group sees it as a crutch more than an aid to role playing, and we are happy to play without it.

In the Players’ Handbook. You’re told to pick an alignment for your character. And all of the alignments are defined and explained. All the gods are giving alignments, the Paladin is text book lawful good, certain sentient weapons wont cooperate with opposed alignments, the arguments that its not in there is a fallacy. If you choose not to great but its in there. Unfortunately wotc is moving towards the everyone is nice and special with drow no longer being evil, wouldn't be surprised if red dragons turn into cuddle bunnies

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard