Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hello,

I'm trying to find if anyone has encountered this bug when launching. It doesn't let me continue as well:

Failed to create dir: \\?\\Larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3
The system cannot find the path specified.
'

Thank you very much. :)

stranger
stranger
Yes. I get the same bug. Do you have English Windows version?

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Yes I do have the English Windows version.

stranger
stranger
Then my theory about me having Norwegian OS was wrong. Might be the some issue as others that the Anti-Virus might block the program from accessing and creating folders for making the profile.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
No AV here. Even Windows defender is completely deactivated. Shouldn't be an issue honestly.

stranger
stranger
I have sent several bug reports. I tried creating the folder that was missing, but it cannot create the folder and files inside those folders either. It's not able to write to that specific folder.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
what is even //?// I've tried creating folders in all the programdata. In documents and such. No luck

stranger
stranger
You might want to try and give all access rights to Steam and the folders underneath and run steam and the game in admin mode

stranger
stranger
I think it just means it's hidden or something. I were thinking about that too, but that might be what it is. Hidden or protected as the users folder in C:/ is hidden. Hence why Steam and the game probably would need better permissions to write to the folder.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
No luck there either

stranger
stranger
Then I have no idea. Gotta wait for patch or Dev feedback on the issue.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I tried creating a new user on windows. Same error also.

stranger
stranger
I found the issue. Assuming you're having the same issue I had. I had identical symptoms to what you've put above and in the topic title!

The issue relates to Windows 10's protection against apps writing to certain folders by default, including the users data folder.

#### DO THE FOLLOWING AT YOUR OWN RISK. IT INVOVLES ALTERING WINDOWS SECURITY SETTINGS...

Steps to resolve the issue:
- Hit Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security
- Click on Open Windows Security button at the top of the right side of the window
- Select Virus & threat protection
- Under Current Threats click Protection History
- You will see the apps attempts to write to the save folder
- Select one of them
- An option to permit will be available
- Select and acknowledge
- Sorry I forget the exact way the option shows up as I already selected and completed it!

I did the above and now my game works fine.

Windows 10, Steam, North America, English

Best of luck!

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hello Weasel, Thanks for that. I currently see nothing under Current Threats and my Windows defender is completely disabled.

Was definitely worth a try smile

stranger
stranger
@Weasel656

Thanks alot for the help there. It worked. smile It's definitely there @Cikylucky, you need to find the admisitrer controlled folderaccess or whatever it is called. I have Norwegian there, which I really hate. But inside that you can allow an app through the directory/folder access.

stranger
stranger
Glad it's been helpful, even if it only resolves one other person's issue! :)

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hello Darkgogg,

Yes I am at the page. It's off. So it shouldn't block anything.

veteran
veteran
So what is probably happening is that while you may have Windows Defender disabled now, it has still previously blocked the app. So what I want you to try is to add a few exclusions in the Windows Defender Virus and threat protection page, and one more step after once you've done that.

Add a folder exclusion for \Documents\Larian Studios
Add a process exclusion for LariLauncher
Add a process exclusion for bg3.exe
Add a process exclusion for bg3_dx11.exe

Then navigate these course of actions

Virus and threat protection > settings > Manage settings > Manage Controlled folder access > Allow an app through controlled folder access > Allow app

When you're there, which should look something like the picture below, make sure bg3.exe and bg3_dx11.exe isn't blocked already in that list.

[Linked Image]

I've had remote desktop sessions with interested community members tonight and have personally tested and verified this for an identical issue, so it should hopefully be identical enough to solve it for you!

stranger
stranger
I would recommend turning Windows Defender on, looking for blocked threats, and allowing any (From this game). If they aren't there, try and run the game again with Defender turned on, and look again. This may work, then you can try turning it off again. Sometimes that's the kind of weird fix that does it.

stranger
stranger
I don't have the Virus and Threat Protection option on my pc.
This is a new clean install of windows too. Can't access it, says I need to contact my IT admin. I am the only user on the PC.
I get the directory error too. Windows Defender isn't blocking anything and I have no other AV on this system.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard