Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Jaisa Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Let me start by saying that I am liking this game so far. I love the art, animation, environments, VO, combat... Everything seems pretty good for the most part I ran into a few game crashing bugs here and there but it player pretty solidly. That being said there was so concerning issues.

1. First and foremost it still plays like a Divinity Game. I've spent lots of hours play DoS2 and have really enjoyed it. This is not really a bad thing it's just kind feels a bit apart from the D&D 5e experience I was expecting.

2. My next and probably the biggest issue I am having is the dice mechanic, I had a feeling it was going to feel disconnected like it did in the streams and even more so now playing it. (Also where is advantage and disadvantage?)
- I feel like the dice doesn't add to that oh crap feeling when its about to roll on a low and then goes high or vice versa
- I know my modifiers are being added to the roll, but i would like to see the actual roll of the dice and then like a prompt for + or - that animates over the dice and changes the total amount. It adds to the i crap, but then oh! wait! moment

3. No hide Helmet function? I may have missed it but I hope it gets added if not.

4. Would love the ability to jump over fire or other ground elements

5. Thank you, so much for adding more diversity with characters, girls with male voices and beards.... (Thank you) I really hope to see more of this in the future.

6. Sneak attack seems a bit off better than DoS2 yes... But shouldn't we get sneak attack on mobs currently engaged with other PCs

7. No limit on Arrows? This may have been a better design choice, but still feels a bit off, I feel like I should have to pick and choose my arrow amount or when I get more.

8. When clicking the level up + sign it places the cursor at Accept, and if you double click by mistake you miss the level up options

9. No checking for traps on boxes, or chests? I feel like even if there there I should be responsible as a rogue to check for traps just incase.

10. Some bodies seam to stretch across the whole map and I have to click around to find the loot symbol.

I wish there would be more encounters. Encounters are rather sparse.

apprentice
apprentice
Agree with most points!

However 4. is currently possible. I jumped over fire, ice and companions blocking the doorway.

One issue I would like to add - and yes- I know it's minor in comparison to game mechanics but:

Please add more face options. I don't know if it is planned or not, but I was so thrilled to finally play a Drow and the male Drow faces are incredibly underwhelming. It's extremes and none of them done in a great way.

From what I remember, Drow are supposed to be incredibly attractive and that doesn't seem to be the case right now.

Most other races got off way better.

I'll pipe in and add some stuff too:

AI Pathing really does need more work, I'd like the characters to remain a bit tighter too in formation too, or have some kind of catch up system. I'm tired of accidental running into an encounter I couldn't see and having the characters who were just starting to catch up be halfway across the map behind my controlled character. It's incredibly annoying, because now I have reload, slowly frog hop so they stick with me, then trigger the encounter so I don't have to waste 5 turns just actually getting them into the battle. Original Sin's battle range sort of fixed this even though it was the source of massive amounts of abuse too, but I think just having the lagging characters finish sprinting up just behind the controlled one would be enough.

I generally agree with everything Jaisa said too, though yeah we can already jump over stuff.

Another note is that for people who don't know DnD, you should make it clear that some classes choose their subclass at another level, because it doesn't mention it in character creation, so you have some characters with really cool subtype options or extra features and then a class like ranger that's kind of like "Here's some flavor buffs, oh yeah, no pet, HAR HAR" and people get confused and worried. My friend was already freaking out about ranger being broken, and I told it it'll take time to choose his... which they're not really happy about, as DnD's level progress is REALLY slow., which is where the "online" terminology usually comes in on the tabletop.

Since tabletop is already very slow and people-driven, it's not so bad, but telling someone that they won't really "be" their class until around halfway or near to the cap can be hard, especially in a game as long as this. You guys noticed that and seem to be tweaking XP amounts, but this was always one of my biggest pet peeves with tabletop games turned computer games, and it's the literal translation between two very different platforms. It just doesn't work. A GM is infinitely more flexible and a good one will make sure their players are having fun an adapt, a game will just do what it was programmed to do and is very static.

Stuff like levels normally doesn't matter because encounters can feel like and there usually aren't THAT many major ones and several hour sessions don't quite span the same length a computer game might. You might have to bend the translation here too and stretch levels out or something, just a thought.

veteran
veteran
I also agree with most points.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
stranger
stranger
Agree with 2, 3, 5, and 9! These are good points. And 10 has happened to me a few times as well. Nightmarian raises a good point, I think we should be able to preview what later levels will have for us, and also AI pathing needs a bit of work. My companions will run into vines or fire with reckless abandon.

Link Copied to Clipboard