Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
There aren't many games that have isometric and OTS third person (Dragon Age Origins and NWN2 are two), so I was excited to explore BG3 in third person with the new verticality.

The third person camera is pretty awkward and restrictive though. You can't tilt up. Highlighted prompts appear off the screen. There is no wasd movement when you are zoomed in completely (click to move feels very off for OTS cameras). Even for something as basic as exploration, it's uncomfortable to play. At present, the third person option feels more like a novelty for screenshots.

A tilt option would go a long way towards removing some of that awkwardness, but I think adding a toggle button like what was present in DAO and NWN2 would be very helpful. What this means is that you keep the existing camera with click to move, but you also add a separate fully third person OTS camera with WASD movement . You would click a button to toggle between the two. This way, you can have a polished and playable camera for both settings. While this may seem useless to many people, it doesn't make sense to me include these beautiful skyboxes and zoomed in perspectives if it is gimped and a bit unfinished. Just some feedback. Loving the game.

Last edited by tangelo1023; 07/10/20 01:27 AM.
stranger
stranger
This pretty much outlines all my gripes with the present camera very well. Larian, if you guys are going to include a 3rd person camera, there is a lot that can be done to improve it before 1.0. As OP said, Dragon Age Origins is a good point of reference.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Just add me as another person not happy with current moving / camera setup. Please improve it it. I would love the option for over the shoulder and being able to move by the keyboard.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Yeah I don't mind the default camera. It's basically identical to DOS2. It's just the zoomed in, OTS part of the camera that I think feels very unpolished and weird.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Camera needs tilt option, allow to both zoom in closer and zoom out farther, go lower or higher and player follow mode.
Just allow us to set it as we want and then keep that angle & height until we change it again.

stranger
stranger
I would also love to have a more polished OTS experience like Dragon Age Origins. The characters and environments look amazing, and it would be great to be able to more easily explore up close.

apprentice
apprentice
Agree!! Improved camera with the ability to tilt as well as WASD movement should be implemented. Dragon age origins did this very good as mentioned above.

stranger
stranger
Agree as well - I miss the ability to zoom out more, getting a better overview of a larger area. Especially when going upward - as in the intro, where I ended up in the very front of the ship as I missed the upper part - simply because of bad camera angles.

stranger
stranger
Agree as well. The world is very nice to look at, in some areas I have to get the character in just the right spot to see items. Mostly I am trying to find a position where I can look up by manipulating the location of the camera, and lookup up is very difficult.

stranger
stranger
Agreed, I also posted a thread on this subject. I just want to move the camera unrestricted like many previous games in this genre. The game is beautiful, but I cant see it because of the camera

old hand
old hand
Agreed. It would be nice when you move all the way in it kicks in WASD and Mouselook automatically, that would be super sweet.

Link Copied to Clipboard