Print Thread
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
... Estimated download time 5 hours.

Fracking UK internet.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Hey, I'm just from a backyard EU country and was done in 5mins on GoG!
Don't worry, I won't be playing it yet, have things to do for a few hours. smile

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf

Fracking UK internet.

Over a day for me: Oxford, where even the internet traffic is stuck in a jam.

J'aime le fromage.
V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
All you spoiled Brits (sarcasm)...I am getting dial-up speeds at like 60kbs. I have high speed internet too so I suspect the real problem is the download server is overwhelmed. Hoping it speeds up overnight.

You all don't know the pain stuck with crappy hotspotting off my phone if I a lucky 50mb a munite

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by vometia

Fracking UK internet.

Over a day for me: Oxford, where even the internet traffic is stuck in a jam.

Originally Posted by Van'tal
All you spoiled Brits (sarcasm)...I am getting dial-up speeds at like 60kbs. I have high speed internet too so I suspect the real problem is the download server is overwhelmed. Hoping it speeds up overnight.

I'm already playing it, it finished downloading on on 50 mbit connection. My street is being neglected for full fibre rollout frown

veteran
veteran
I suppose my 20 MB/s peak speed would make you quite angry indeed

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Mine is still "pre-allocating" hours later... I'm not exactly sure how Steam manages to accomplish such atrocious IO speeds but that sure is impressive.

J'aime le fromage.
V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Originally Posted by vometia
Mine is still "pre-allocating" hours later... I'm not exactly sure how Steam manages to accomplish such atrocious IO speeds but that sure is impressive.

Others having this issue

perhaps a de-frag might help. Solid state drives are the way to go if you can afford one.

Last edited by Van'tal; 07/10/20 05:29 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
I suppose my 20 MB/s peak speed would make you quite angry indeed

I guess I really got lucky.. I hit the highest peak I've ever hit on steam.. 97.6MB/s and the lowest point was 77MB/s took about 10-11 minutes.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Van'tal
Others having this issue

perhaps a de-frag might help. Solid state drives are the way to go if you can afford one.

It does it in the early hours quite often, and noisily too; I may try it manually just to see if it makes any difference, though NTFS isn't the greatest (bit sad if it is actually based on ODS-2 as that was always pretty good). I do have some SSD space but it's definitely at a premium; I suppose it may be worth redirecting Steam's downloads directory onto it though.

Mostly it's just because Steam's unnecessary pre-allocation is a terrible design choice, and evidently very poorly implemented. People have been complaining about it for years but it falls on deaf ears. :|

J'aime le fromage.
addict
addict
I’ll see how I do on my 400mbit when back home, but the issue I have with steam is usually around updates. For whatever reason they always cause my wifi to conk out and disconnects me from the network. Weird.

Will be glad once my gaming room gets down and I can finally get back onto Ethernet cable.

stranger
stranger

Fracking UK internet.

Estimated download time 0 sec on stadia wink

stranger
stranger
I couldnt imagine how slow my internet would be if I still lived in my flat in Melbourne (Australia). Moved to the US and it took roughly 2 - 3 hours to download. The most frustrating thing was how long Steam took to allocate space??

Artist and Novice 5E DM

Art Portfolio

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard