Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
What was the idea behind it? Why shocking grasp doesn't do the extra damage against armored enemies, for one, or why the change to sleep?

stranger
stranger
I don’t think rogues get expertise any more unless I just missed it.

journeyman
journeyman
Almost every offensive spell has been overwritten with spells from the DIVOS series. Fire Bolt lights enemies on fire and creates fire terrain on nonflammable surfaces, acid splash creates acid terrain, and a lot of unique spell effects like the one on shocking grasp are missing. It feels like DIVOS reskinned when you're playing a mage.

Last edited by Deemer; 07/10/20 02:13 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Deemer
Almost every offensive spell has been overwritten with spells from the DIVOS series. Fire Bolt lights enemies on fire and creates fire terrain on nonflammable surfaces, acid splash creates acid terrain, and a lot of unique spell effects like the one on shocking grasp are missing. It feels like DIVOS reskinned when you're playing a mage.

I don't mind the environment interaction changes, but why remove features of a spell like in your shocking grasp example o.O' ? Maybe (hopefully) its just a EA thing.

stranger
stranger
Agree. A productive conversation between the community and developers needs to start about rule changes and why they're being made.

Especially if the reasons are "for fun". We, the players, can help determine if the "For fun" is valid or not.

stranger
stranger
Shocking Grasp did not have extra damage against metal armored opponents, just Advantage and prevented reactions. I will have to check and see what it does differently.
Edit: Seems to keep the removing of Reactions when you hit with it, but so far does not seem to have Advantage against enemies wearing Metal, at least as far as the description says. Can't quite be sure just at character creation.

Last edited by Brimcon; 07/10/20 04:18 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Firebolt does d6 should be d10, light crossbow does d4 should be d8. Found 2 different shortbows, one does d6 the other d4.

Seems they solved the reaction controversy, by removing spells that use reactions, no Shield. Pretty important spell for an Abjurer. Reaction Abjuration spells is what keeps the Ward up. Feather Fall is there, but not a reaction, and it's not an an Abjuration anyway. Mage Armor doesn't seem to last long, one fight is all. Should be eight hours. No Alarm spell. I guess I should count out Arcane Lock too, so much for an Abjurer during ea. Sleep says it lasts a minute, maybe in real time. But if rounds are 6 seconds, then no way. They were up in a couple of rounds.

Cunning Action should let you Hide and Disengage, as well as Dash. And where is the Rogue's skill Expertise? Is it coming, or removed?

Targeting down party members is real difficult it seems. Standing right next to them, I get out of range message for a Revivify scroll, or Healing Word spell. Maybe allow targeting of the portrait. Can't find special abilities like Arcane Ward on my character sheet. There should be an autosave after the Nautiloid crashes (after the tutoral). Lips only move half the time while speaking during cutscenes. Oh and it would be nice to be able to delete saves, or at least edit their title when you save over them.

I'm still having a lot of fun, but these issues are a letdown. I understand it's ea, and far from completed. Just giving my feed back. The game is gorgeous! Love the UI, easy to navigate. Player interactions are well done, except that lip moving thing.

Last edited by Merlex; 07/10/20 05:16 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Merlex
Firebolt does d6 should be d10, light crossbow does d4 should be d8. Found 2 different shortbows, one does d6 the other d4.

I'm assuming the crossbow nerf is unintentional as I don't think anyone on earth would say crossbows are overpowered in DnD, but I also suspect that the Fire Bolt nerf is intentional as it inflicts the burning debuff which does a good chunk of damage over time. I'd rather they returned it to rules-as-written though (only lights flammable inanimate objects on fire - AKA nothing being worn, no stone, etc) as most DnD fire spells do not actually inflict debuffs and just feels like a Larian thing and not a DnD thing. It would also reward you for finding flammable surfaces rather than making it a 'cover everything in fire forever' fest like DIVOS was.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran

Seems they solved the reaction controversy, by removing spells that use reactions, no Shield. Pretty important spell for an Abjurer. Reaction Abjuration spells is what keeps the Ward up. Feather Fall is there, but not a reaction, and it's not an an Abjuration anyway. Mage Armor doesn't seem to last long, one fight is all. Should be eight hours. No Alarm spell. I guess I should count out Arcane Lock too, so much for an Abjurer during ea. Sleep says it lasts a minute, maybe in real time. But if rounds are 6 seconds, then no way. They were up in a couple of rounds.

Cunning Action should let you Hide and Disengage, as well as Dash. And where is the Rogue's skill Expertise? Is it coming, or removed?

Targeting down party members is real difficult it seems. Standing right next to them, I get out of range message for a Revivify scroll, or Healing Word spell. Maybe allow targeting of the portrait. Can't find special abilities like Arcane Ward on my character sheet. There should be an autosave after the Nautiloid crashes (after the tutoral). Lips only move half the time while speaking during cutscenes. Oh and it would be nice to be able to delete saves, or at least edit their title when you save over them.

I'm still having a lot of fun, but these issues are a letdown. I understand it's ea, and far from completed. Just giving my feed back. The game is gorgeous! Love the UI, easy to navigate. Player interactions are well done, except that lip moving thing.

This is quite important and very concerning. Removing spells that use reactions is hampering wizards.

journeyman
journeyman
Removing Shield is a huge letdown for me. I was planning to run an Eldritch Knight with Booming Blade/Greenflame Blade Shield combo, you know standard Tank setup.

apprentice
apprentice
I can guess the rationale behind most of these rule changes, but frankly I'd prefer if they stuck closer to the tabletop rules unless there's a VERY good reason not to. It feels like too many concessions are being made to accommodate Original Sin mechanics that don't have anything to do with D&D.

As an example, if the reduction of firebolt from 1d10 to 1d6 is in fact because of the burning condition, that seems silly to me. As a DM, if an enemy was stood on something flammable and a player cast firebolt at them with the intention of setting them on fire, there is no way I would tell them their spell only does 1d6 damage because the enemy is on fire, even if I ruled that the continuing burning caused additional damage. It's a 1d10 damage cantrip - any other effect that happens as a result of it is separate. Nor would I or my players think that firebolt would set someone on fire without some explicit reason to think it would. The burning condition appears to be a carryover from Original Sin which complicates matters to the point of being obtuse. Just let firebolt work like firebolt.

Last edited by Wrathbone; 07/10/20 01:44 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Wrathbone
I can guess the rationale behind most of these rule changes, but frankly I'd prefer if they stuck closer to the tabletop rules unless there's a VERY good reason not to. It feels like too many concessions are being made to accommodate Original Sin mechanics that don't have anything to do with D&D.

As an example, if the reduction of firebolt from 1d10 to 1d6 is in fact because of the burning condition, that seems silly to me. As a DM, if an enemy was stood on something flammable and a player cast firebolt at them with the intention of setting them on fire, there is no way I would tell them their spell only does 1d6 damage because the enemy is on fire, even if I ruled that the continuing burning caused additional damage. It's a 1d10 damage cantrip - any other effect that happens as a result of it is separate. Nor would I or my players think that firebolt would set someone on fire without some explicit reason to think it would. The burning condition appears to be a carryover from Original Sin which complicates matters to the point of being obtuse. Just let firebolt work like firebolt.

Agreed!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by CrestOfArtorias
Removing Shield is a huge letdown for me. I was planning to run an Eldritch Knight with Booming Blade/Greenflame Blade Shield combo, you know standard Tank setup.

No Booming Blade nor Green Flame Blade either. Though I was hoping because of the other SCAG content, I accepted they may not be in there, at least to start. But no Shield spell is a real big nerf for Abjurers.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Seems they solved the reaction controversy, by removing spells that use reactions, no Shield. Pretty important spell for an Abjurer. Reaction Abjuration spells is what keeps the Ward up... Mage Armor doesn't seem to last long, one fight is all. Should be eight hours.

Just had the Goblin fight. Mage Armor is working as it should, so far. Maybe just a Nautiloid thing. Arcane Ward shows up on the portrait, but doesn't tell you it's strength, current nor total.

Part of this is a moot point. Everyone can Hide or Disengage (Jump) as a bonus action. But Astarion could not Dash (he's 2nd level) as a bonus action, but he could still Jump, Hide, ect. Shows up on his character sheet, but couldn't use it after an attack. Bug maybe?

Last edited by Merlex; 07/10/20 03:14 PM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I also haven't seen the possibility of using higher level spells yet, like, Magic missile with more than 3 missiles.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
I also haven't seen the possibility of using higher level spells yet, like, Magic missile with more than 3 missiles.

Those appear as separate spells on the hotbar. It's very clunky at the moment, and will hopefully be changed to a floating menu which lets you select the spell level you cast at after you pick the spell.

veteran
veteran
Part of this is a moot point. Everyone can Hide or Disengage (Jump) as a bonus action. But Astarion could not Dash (he's 2nd level) as a bonus action, but he could still Jump, Hide, ect. Shows up on his character sheet, but couldn't use it after an attack. Bug maybe?

Astarion's bonus action Dash appears in the right (of of his profile picture) window, where usable items/specific abilities go. It does Not change the Dash icon in the left window where all the standard actions/bonus actions are. Thus, you can use Dash as a regular action and/or as Astarion's rogue bonus action.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Stabbey
and will hopefully be changed to a floating menu which lets you select the spell level you cast at after you pick the spell.

Why not be able to put the maximized/empowered or heightened spell directly into the action bar? When I played nwn1, my sorcerer had black tentacles, maximized black tentacles and empowered black tentacles on my action bar.

Originally Posted by Wrathbone

I strongly agree. Also, are other cantrips also nerfed? Like frost ray?

Is Eldritch Blast + invocations great? Or they received massive nerfs?

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem

Those appear as separate spells on the hotbar. It's very clunky at the moment, and will hopefully be changed to a floating menu which lets you select the spell level you cast at after you pick the spell.

I do see them now, thanks. Mage Armor is still wrong, however, what's that ridiculous +3? And why can it be advanced in the spell slots since it does nothing?

stranger
stranger
I would love to know these changes too, and if possible, having them limited to the strict minimum.

Finally having a 5e videogame is awesome, but then seeing how heavily modified the ruleset is, to the point of changing weapons/spells damage and changing the whole mechanics by altering what is an action and what is a bonus action (thinking of disengage, for example) is kind of a let down. I totally understand that some changes need to be done (and I'm used to dnd based videogames, having the game turn based alone make BG3 way better than any of them), but the feeling I have in my second night of playing is that those changes are way too liberal.

Which doesn't make the game bad, obviously. I've enjoyed it a lot, so far.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard