Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
endolex Offline OP
OP Offline
I'd love if Lae'zel had specific dialogue for a Githyanki character. Playing through the main sequence she doesn't seem to react to it at all?

journeyman
journeyman
+1

apprentice
apprentice
Then the cleric won't join the party because I am Gith , seems like I should have a chance to recruit the one party member you require an actual Cleric maybe ?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Oinkus
Then the cleric won't join the party because I am Gith , seems like I should have a chance to recruit the one party member you require an actual Cleric maybe ?

My first attempt with a Githyanki, Shadowheart refuse to join me, because I was a Gith. I got killed and had to reload.

Last edited by Merlex; 07/10/20 04:02 PM.
stranger
stranger
My first character was also a Githyanki, specifically hoping to take Liz on as a companion.

Ironically I DID end up getting Shadowheart as a companion, but was pretty on the fence about if I'd tolerate the evil Shar priestess trying to take the racist high-road with me.

But back on topic, yep, was quite weirded out and disappointed that despite having a bunch of tags (hell I was even the same class as her!) there was no reaction.

It didn't even get that much better later as when I found her off the ship while there WERE now Githyanki options, she still incredibly unpleasant and I have to wonder if she just IS and nobody's supposed to like her, or if maybe this is "nice" for her and she'd just be unrecruitable as another race due to even worse responses.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I was looking forward to have my Gith Abjurer, Lae'zel (Battlemaster), Shadowheart, Wyl as my party. I'm playing an evil Wizard, so I'm going to kill Gale to loot his corpse. And I don't trust Astarion, seems like he'll cut our throats in our sleep. To steal our treasure of course wink But I haven't seen Lae'zel since the Nautiloid. Been at the druid camp for a while too. I'll just have to keep looking. Maybe I missed her. I didn't do the area right after the Intellect Devourers with the Gnome.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by endolex
I'd love if Lae'zel had specific dialogue for a Githyanki character. Playing through the main sequence she doesn't seem to react to it at all?

She absolutely reacts. She calls my character kin, and says our people when speaking about the Gith.

A
stranger
stranger
A
I support this. But rip the spoilers...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Axis
I support this. But rip the spoilers...

Sorry if I spoiled anything for you. Wasn't my intent.

She does react, but honestly I'm mostly disappointed in the player dialog. Your character as a Gith seems very out of place with how they react. They are clueless as to what is happening to them, but being a Gith, they should be able to understand and recognize what is going on. Your first interaction with Lae'zel should reflect this with Gith options of being able to explain to her what is going on (which will conversely explain it to the player), or at least affirming with her that both of you know what is happening and what is at stake.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by dreambled
She does react, but honestly I'm mostly disappointed in the player dialog. Your character as a Gith seems very out of place with how they react. They are clueless as to what is happening to them, but being a Gith, they should be able to understand and recognize what is going on. Your first interaction with Lae'zel should reflect this with Gith options of being able to explain to her what is going on (which will conversely explain it to the player), or at least affirming with her that both of you know what is happening and what is at stake.

agreed

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by AspenSage
My first character was also a Githyanki, specifically hoping to take Liz on as a companion.

Ironically I DID end up getting Shadowheart as a companion, but was pretty on the fence about if I'd tolerate the evil Shar priestess trying to take the racist high-road with me.

But back on topic, yep, was quite weirded out and disappointed that despite having a bunch of tags (hell I was even the same class as her!) there was no reaction.

It didn't even get that much better later as when I found her off the ship while there WERE now Githyanki options, she still incredibly unpleasant and I have to wonder if she just IS and nobody's supposed to like her, or if maybe this is "nice" for her and she'd just be unrecruitable as another race due to even worse responses.

I've gotta ask would you be friendly to anyone after you were kidnapped by your worst enemy, then impregnated by a creature that is going to turn you into what you most hate in the world? When your people would actively hunt the thing you turn into down? Maybe you'll kill a loved one? maybe you'll kill someone you dislike? The one thing that is seemingly certain you, and everything you are your hopes, dreams, your love for your goddess, etc is going to be gone!

Soooo, feeling all warm and fuzzy now? ready to go party and sing and dance like we just don't care?

D
old hand
old hand
D
Originally Posted by Merlex
I was looking forward to have my Gith Abjurer, Lae'zel (Battlemaster), Shadowheart, Wyl as my party. I'm playing an evil Wizard, so I'm going to kill Gale to loot his corpse. And I don't trust Astarion, seems like he'll cut our throats in our sleep. To steal our treasure of course wink But I haven't seen Lae'zel since the Nautiloid. Been at the druid camp for a while too. I'll just have to keep looking. Maybe I missed her. I didn't do the area right after the Intellect Devourers with the Gnome.

After about 8 hours I noticed thst I still hadent found her and Asterion. They are around the crashed ship at the start.

Havent played as a gith yet. She doesent have alterrd voice linss for Gith? Thats kinda dissapointing frown

journeyman
journeyman
I disguised myself as a gith at the gith patrol and got new lines. Weird that there isn't much from Lae'zel as an actual gith.

S
S
This confuses me. She refers to you as kin, as mentioned earlier, she calls you a familiar gith term in passing, you can affirm your shared intentions in camp dialogues, and more. Are people expecting an instant make-out sesh? I'm not sure what y'all are expecting. Do you immediately french other humans just for being human? Like, come on.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Demoulius

After about 8 hours I noticed thst I still hadent found her and Asterion. They are around the crashed ship at the start.

Havent played as a gith yet. She doesent have alterrd voice linss for Gith? Thats kinda dissapointing frown

There are but it's not glaringly obvious, she acknowledges you as gith, and kin. See my previous post. Also you and her are not from the same Clan. So again after whats happened you even as kin, or unknown of same clan, are still not to be fully trusted.

I think alot of this is how we percieve companions as they are shown in other games. I myself hate most companions in other games because everyone is so nice, even after the shit hits the fan. Everyone is so trusting, and so ready or nearly so ready to as Sacred states have a make-out sesh, that it's laughable, and mind boggling.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by clavis
There are but it's not glaringly obvious, she acknowledges you as gith, and kin. See my previous post. Also you and her are not from the same Clan. So again after whats happened you even as kin, or unknown of same clan, are still not to be fully trusted.

I think alot of this is how we percieve companions as they are shown in other games. I myself hate most companions in other games because everyone is so nice, even after the shit hits the fan. Everyone is so trusting, and so ready or nearly so ready to as Sacred states have a make-out sesh, that it's laughable, and mind boggling.

Agreed for the most part... there are glimpses of something deeper there, with the Thiefling commander in the Druid grove recognizing my Drow protagonist helping them, relating to it as being from a race that's generally mistrused and perceived as selvish and evil himself, but then there are other conversations that are just bafflingly bad, giving who is talking to whome about what... it's just like with Shadowheart commenting on the Jergal statue in the crypts, those moments are pure lore gold, compared to the rest that is on offer here.

D
old hand
old hand
D
Originally Posted by Demoulius

Oh ok. In that case it sounds better then the 'We are from the same race! Automatic BFF's for life' approach that some games take!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by WarBaby2

Agreed for the most part... there are glimpses of something deeper there, with the Thiefling commander in the Druid grove recognizing my Drow protagonist helping them, relating to it as being from a race that's generally mistrused and perceived as selvish and evil himself, but then there are other conversations that are just bafflingly bad, giving who is talking to whome about what... it's just like with Shadowheart commenting on the Jergal statue in the crypts, those moments are pure lore gold, compared to the rest that is on offer here.

I think alot of the off handed comments are rather sweet, the big problem with conversations, or meetings that would usually result in voilence. For instance the teethling commander in the grove, meeting a drow is the pressing issues at hand. Goblin attacks on the grove, and druid pressure to oust the outlanders is making everyone desperate. No longer is the world black and white it's now do to needs of survival alone more grey.

The same can be true about interactions with companions, as members of society we tend to flock together, same is true in fantasy. Yet in many cases the fact that you are going to change into something, and indeed you are no longer going to be you has forced you to side (even against what you want) with others that are going to be doing the same. Take La'eazel for instance her people would not hesitate to kill her if the think she can't be cured. Enter the one that actually tries to do that to your character. So she's forced through a common goal to put aside much of her beliefs to journey with you. She doesn't like it, believes her people will be the only one able to do so, so she's angry, arguemenitive, not just because it may be in her nature, but because she's trying to still hold onto her beliefs that she can. Also because she's probably terrified she's going to turn into what she hates most in the world.

So even though they all have different goals the pressing matter is keeping them together. In cases of loners, they now are not only forced together for survival, but they are among people a thing that may grate on them further. So the party is a much beloved Larian item, a powder keg, people hate and resent being forced together are growly especially when everyones a stranger. The things they've recently been through have them already on edge, which leads to shitty interactions. Cause noone is at there best. Everyone is worn down mentally, and physically, and they have a guitoine blade hovering over them, and noone knows when it will drop. yet noone really wants to go alone because chances of failure are to high, add to this everyones besides yours backstory having mystery in them that they don't want let out. Couple this with the groups ability through the use of the tadpole (unless your like me and can't get a good roll) to read their mind. Trust is very low, in some cases nearly non existant. Yet again going it alone will make it hard even impossible to find a healer, specially with all the monsters around. So your choices are being ripped from you, your clinging to shreds of hope, and doing something dangerous just by staying with the group.

La'eazal (The Bitchy Wench) has stated she'll not hesitate to kill you if you start getting tentacly. This maybe another reason she stays to take care of anyone that changes so they don't go a roaming, and so maybe someone in the party will do the same for her if she starts flaying out.

It's the reason I enjoy the story it offers intensity that is usually missing from games, and pen and paper D&D. It creates a unique bond amongst the characters, adds more depth and intrigue then just oh yeah your an adventurer, so am I lets go adventuring!! Because in truth none of these people would ever get along together. They'd be trying to kill each other, feed off each other, etc. if they had just met in a tavern (which is the most archaic form of party gathering, ranking right up there with the BS cop out of Chosen One). Few creatures in D&D lore can unite people, and create such diversity as Mind Flayers. I can't think of more then just 3 or 4 that can literally do what a Mind Flayer can, and most of those would do it automatically. Instead of giving a chance for survival.

Bah fucking mousepad on my laptop eating posts.

Link Copied to Clipboard