Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi everyone, I'm a new user and it's my first time posting here. I've finished DOS2 and it's my pick for best CRPG ever. So naturally, I bought BG3 because of larian studio and I heard lots of praise for BG series(never played 1 and 2 though.).

But something weird is happening in my game.
My spec: i7-8750H CPU 2.2ghz
GTX 1060 card with 6GB graphic memory(driver updated)
16GB RAM
windows 10

I can run similar graphic games like DOS2 , witcher 3 , Metro exodus, or assassins creed odyssey(graphic wise, BG3 is not that groundbreaking) smoothly with 60+ fps. But this game... After I passed main menu with 60 fps, as soon as I drop in the game. I suddenly become less than 20 fps, literally. I enabled steam fps trackers so I know it's true. During normal phase like walking around and open menu is around 20 fps, during battle or with lots of elementals like fire, 15 fps, during dialog conversation cutscene, single digit frame around 8-9 fps. Later it reach to the point that when I click somewhere for my character to go, I have to wait 1 second for my screen to register so my character can move. Because other than this problem the game is good, I endured 6 hours of this madness and the situation is not improving...

I know it's an early access game, but this performance issue is making me question if my pc have huge problems like memory leak, or it's just the game not optimized at all. My setting is put everything in mid with 1080p. But weird thing is I changed the setting to high, and very low, and get exact same fps....... Idk what happened here. I already tried open the game by dx11, still not improving.

I make this post just want to make sure that I'm not the only one have this huge fps issues. Because if I'm the only one that suffer this huge fps drops, I may need to take my pc to check if anything major happened to it, or I just need to wait for next hotfix. Thanks.

PS: Other than fps issues, I don't have any other bugs like crash, I didn't have crash on this game.

Last edited by 519061367; 07/10/20 06:55 AM.
stranger
stranger
I am having huge FPS issues as well. It worked fine for first few scenes (avoiding spoilers) but when I get to a certain point it just goes into very slow mo.

I am running an i7-9700k CPU 3.60Ghz, RTX 2070 Super (latest driver 456.55), 32GB RAM Windows 10 (1920x1080).

Also thought it could be a memory leak, but when I restarted the game after a complete shutdown at the point it happened it did it again almost immediately (about 10 seconds in). Using the default Vulkan version as instructed. Haven't tried the DX11 version yet.

EDIT: I enabled the frame limiter on and it seems to be working for now.

Last edited by RaingodZippo; 07/10/20 07:35 AM.
stranger
stranger
Hi people,

I don't think there is a problem with your specs.

I have a much slower system than yours and the game is unplayable with Vulcan (1-5 FPS on Low)
Give it a try with DirectX and let us know. (In my case, changing to DirectX gave me almost the same FPS as D:OS2, 40-60 on Ultra)

FYI: Amd FX8350, R9 280X Toxic, 8Gb RAM, Windows 10

Last edited by ballbugsbunny; 07/10/20 01:08 PM. Reason: added specs, graphics settings
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
Originally Posted by RaingodZippo

I am running an i7-9700k CPU 3.60Ghz, RTX 2070 Super (latest driver 456.55), 32GB RAM Windows 10 (1920x1080).

Also thought it could be a memory leak, but when I restarted the game after a complete shutdown at the point it happened it did it again almost immediately (about 10 seconds in). Using the default Vulkan version as instructed. Haven't tried the DX11 version yet.

That's weird. On a system like yours, I would expect excellent performance, considering the RTX2070 and 32GB ram...I play on a i5-7300HQ GTX1050 4GB 24GB RAM on a SSD and I was skeptical of the performance I would get, yet my computer auto detected my hardware and set the graphics on ultra. When I play on Vulkan, I get a solid 40-50 fps.

journeyman
journeyman
I've got the same problem, albeit on a worse setup: i7 3770K OC / GTX 980 / 16GB / SSD - same framerate if I dial it back to 720p vs 4K, so weird.

New Zealand's finest Gith with a dark urge for KFC XX
stranger
stranger
I had a similar issue, turned out it was my AV software causing an issue. Game started really well than after a few minutes it would go into slow mode.

journeyman
journeyman
Update: Fixed mine 100% - was the graphics driver, updated my driver out of Geforce Experience, now going 60fps on high / ultra on a i7 3770k and 980: might not need to update my rig just yet lol.

New Zealand's finest Gith with a dark urge for KFC XX
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by IndySandbagTrick
Update: Fixed mine 100% - was the graphics driver, updated my driver out of Geforce Experience, now going 60fps on high / ultra on a i7 3770k and 980: might not need to update my rig just yet lol.

Nice. I guess they went really wide with the system requirements but you can be slightly below minimum and it works.

stranger
stranger
For the 2070 Super issues, I've been having issues with stuttering with the newer drivers. This includes newer games like the Avengers and even DOS2. I rolled back to the may drivers https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/159884/en-us 446.14. After updating to the older drivers all the stuttering and lag issues have completely stopped.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thnaks for everyone for reply , i guess all i can do is wait for hotfix and patch...

Link Copied to Clipboard