Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
First of all I want to get it out of the way.
The game is not out for very long, and I've experienced only a tiny slice of what EA has to offer (6 hours currently in).
That being said said the background choice so far feels more like two free proficiences, rather than a major component of your character. Especially considering the classes are incorporated wonderfully, I love the dialogues choices you are given based on the class you have chosen. I wish the same could be said about the background, an especially prominent example I've encountered was in the tiefling/druid encampent.
You encounter a child who tries to scam you with a fake magical ring, having passed perception check, as well as being a warlock I've discerned the runes are gibberish. That being said as a charlatan warlock I think my character should have been at very least been able to feel something is wrong, they have done the very same thing for the majority of their life. I wish the game took that into consideration, and either gave me another dialogue choice, or at least made the checks even easier. Or maybe allowed me to have an insight check, heck maybe there could be a fun possibility of scamming the kid to repay him in kind.
Another fun example could be having an easier time persuading, maybe threatening tieflings considering running away, should you have chosen the soldier background.

In tl;dr, I wish we had more dialogue options, or at least some rolls modifiers based on the background we have chosen, rather than on the class alone.
Especially considering we do not get the background traits for understandable reasons.

stranger
stranger
Definitely this.

I don't think my background (and it IS a tag in the list) has come up once in multiple hours of play, which was kind of important to me honestly because I'm a Githyanki warrior who has a very opposite personality to most as a "Sage" and led into becoming an Eldritch Knight, but so far the only dialogue options I've had to express that have been Investigation choices.

Hell, it was quite annoying to have multiple magic-users write me off as another magic-illiterate for being a fighter when I'm actually an arcane casting sub-class with a high INT and being a Sage.

Link Copied to Clipboard