Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I just watched a stream and Sven said this is the best place to leave feedback, so here I am smile
It has been a long day so you might find some typos.

1. Tooltips and character creation/level ups
I have played multiple pen and paper rpgs, but not dnd 5e and for me the information the game provides is not enough.
When I got a level up with my warlock I was presented with multiple options to turn spells into actions that no longer need spell slots. When I hovered over it all I got was the spells name and not what the spell does.
A solution to this would be multiple layers of tooltips the way Pathfinder: Kingmaker did it. So in this case the spells name would be highlighted and when I hover over it I would be presented with information about what the spell does.

In EA it is not as important, but in the future I would like to be able to plan ahead a bit and see what classes can unlock in the future.
Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Pillars of Eternity 2 did it and it really helped people who are new to the system create viable builds.

2. Armor and clothes
I understand that you went for stylized fantasy armor and I can deal with that. What bothers me is how clean and impeccable they look. At least those I saw so far (4hours in).
Maybe you could add a couple of signs of wear. Even a small number of scratches and tears would make it a lot more immersive.

3. I heard that you will add an option to hide helmets mid dialogue. thumbs up for that !

4. Blood pools on character deaths are a bit much. It is basiclly the same way as it was with DOS 2 and I think it would look a lot better if the blood pools were smaller and instead you could add some more blood on the character model itself.

5. The scene when the nauti crashed was cool, but it was immersion breaking that you could see the other characters still standing where they were before in the ship will you were flying around in the deck.

6. Maybe add an option to roll your starting attributes ? I always liked that in the original BG

7. Contrary to what some people say I like the darker characters conceptually now that I met them in game even though I was very sceptical before ! The only problem right now is that you are forced to take some into your party even when they don't fit together. e.g shadowheart and lae zel: I would kill her, like shadowheart says, but without a fighter I would just cripple my party too much.
This won't be a problem in the final game, because we will have a lot more companion options. I just fear that this might give you the wrong idea when you collect data, because maybe people are not choosing these things based on role playing right now.
Maybe I am totally wrong though, its just what I thought about when playing wink

8. This is just a general wish: Give us a reason to play cruel, selfish or even just rational and focused on the bigger picture which might include collateral damage. I (and I think many others) play the perfect good guy only because in most games you get punished really hard for being evil, be it a terrible ending or no follow up quests etc. The hard truth is that sometimes it should be beneficial to be an asshole... or at least rational and sacrifice someone or something for the greater cause. Helping everyone should not always be the best way, even as a semi good person.
I have been trying to come up with a single case in which a game actually punished you for trying to help everyone and I was unable to do so.

9. Maybe I missed the option for it, but it would be great if the combat log could expand automatically. Right now I have to do it manually every time.

10. The parallel inventory tabs are an improvement I must say. What is still missing imo is an option to put junk and valuables in a seperate tab to clear your inventory a bit more.

11. On the character sheet when I hover over some values I would like to see how they are pieced together: e.g. on my dwarf total 16 AC = > 14 Armor + 2 Dex modifier. Right now it is relatively simple, but later into the game it could get a bit complicated.

12. I noticed some clipping issues with hear/beards and every time my character was knocked of his feet in a scene he was either in the ground texture or floating above. You are probably aware of that though smile

13. When you take shadowheart with you at the very end when the game transitions between dialogue and normal gameplay you can see 2 versions of her standing next to each other. Happened 3 out of 3 times.

stranger
stranger
I agree with all of this very well put i just wanna echo this
Originally Posted by GodfatherPlunger
8) This is just a general wish: Give us a reason to play cruel, selfish or even just rational and focused on the bigger picture which might include collateral damage. I (and I think many others) play the perfect good guy only because in most games you get punished really hard for being evil, be it a terrible ending or no follow up quests etc. The hard truth is that sometimes it should be beneficial to be an asshole... or at least rational and sacrifice someone or something for the greater cause. Helping everyone should not always be the best way, even as a semi good person.
I have been trying to come up with a single case in which a game actually punished you for trying to help everyone and I was unable to do so.

Sometimes bad stuff happens for being good and good stuff happens even though you’re bad. I don’t think there’s nearly enough punishment for being good in this as far as I’ve seen yet.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
y, I actually thought about it a while longer now and still nothing. Pretty interesting that games seem to evoid this even though npcs often encourage you to not help someone and focus on the main objective etc.
In books it actually happens from time to time that good intentions cause terrible things, first example that comes to mind would be the chronicles of thomas covenant.
In german there is a saying which basiclly means: The opposite of well done is well-meant. This should apply to some quests imo.

enthusiast
enthusiast
[quote=GodfatherPlunger]4. Blood pools on character deaths are a bit much. It is basiclly the same way as it was with DOS 2 and I think it would look a lot better if the blood pools were smaller and instead you could add some more blood on the character model itself./quote]

Funnily enough, I was fine with that one... remember, in in the old infinity engine games, enemies outright exploded on a critical hit kill. wink

More or less agree with the rest...

stranger
stranger
+++
A big plus - female characters have female hairstyles. It's rare.
You can create a pretty woman without mods. It is also a rarity.
Character gestures during conversations - great. They are alive!
The scenes have cinematic camera work.
I'm having a great time. I'm a working person but I played all night ...
I always choose the easy difficulty level in games - I focus on story and fun ... I hope it will show up soon.
Well-written characters ...
Interesting plot ...
Huge potential.
BG was my first game on my first computer - thanks to you the legend lives on.

-
My language version (Polish) has errors. There are not many translations. Luckily I understand English.
It would be nice if the action points were more visible. I would like to know how many points a specific action takes.
It's hard for me to estimate ... I'm getting lost.
The ability to select and deselect active tasks that we want to perform.
In 4k the icons are too small ... spells, items, skills. It's about the taskbar.
In the creator, hairstyle number 2 jumps straight to hairstyle number 5 ... there are also gaps between the face numbers. Weird.

I'm not clinging to blurred textures, freezing in the air ... I know you can fix it smile.

Sorry for my ENGLISH wink I know it's not perfect.

Last edited by Tinira; 08/10/20 07:04 AM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
yeah, you are right. I remember now. I just found it a bit extreme when I killed a halfling and the diameter of the blood pool was roughly 3 times his height. Unless he was smuggling blood bags under his vest, then it seems reasonable laugh

If they want to get a bit crazy (I am fine with that) they could leave the pool size, but add some more blood to the character model. It is a bit weird when the corpse is nearly clean even though he lost 10 liters of blood.

Link Copied to Clipboard