Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Spell points for a Warlock are nerfed badly at only 4 points per long rest, at level 4 using a Single Short rest. Almost half of any other caster (7 Per long rest at 4th level)

DM's Guide page 84 " In general, over the course of a full adventuring day, the party will likely need to take two short rests, about one-third and two-thirds of the way through."

There are also difficult encounters where having a timed short rest is well needed if the party is moving on from another battle.

Please extend the uses to 2 short rests, and or a timer between them like a cooldown.

enthusiast
enthusiast
yeah it should be 2 short rests per long. And both short and long should actually progress time (meaning any time dependant quests would put pressure on the player not to rest)

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
110% Agree on the quest timing.

stranger
stranger
I agree on 2 short rests

journeyman
journeyman
2 shorts, yup, think that's the sweet spot here

G
apprentice
apprentice
G
I would suggest adjusting it based on the player's selected difficulty level. Make it two short rests per Core Rules, 1 short rest on Hard Mode, and probably just uncap it for Easy Mode.

stranger
stranger
If you going to have a cap then please atleast 2 .

stranger
stranger
Is there a cap? That's crazy. I can magically teleport to camp in the middle of the dungeon for a long rest but they want to limit short rests instead? This is backwards.

apprentice
apprentice
Absolutely backwards. Long rests should more restricted, at the very least they should require the party already be in an outdoor area isn't within the bounds of a town or city. Also both should advance time properly so that time critical quests are affected.

Originally Posted by golw
Make it two short rests per Core Rules

As per core rules would be unrestricted. The restriction is on your healing during short rests, not on short rests themselves. This is the entire reason that warlocks are even viable as anything more than a dip class in PnP as short rests are limited only by the DM's willingness to let you have them uninterrupted ie. "if you take a short rest somewhere dumb, something bad might happen AND you wont get your rest so.... don't take the piss"

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Prima
I agree on 2 short rests

+1

veteran
veteran
Short rests should be unrestricted, but you can only heal for whatever hit dice you have remaining. The amount of hit dice is going to be your real limiting factor for the amount of rests you can take. If you have no more hit dice left to spend, you don't get HP back. I'd also ideally like some setting to decide the number of hit dice to spend. Maybe I didn't take any damage in a fight and want to save them. Maybe I took a lot of damage and want to spend more than one.

I'm not sure there are time-restricted quests, or that time advancing exists other than main story beats, so asking for time to advance may not make sense.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Short rests should be unrestricted, but you can only heal for whatever hit dice you have remaining. The amount of hit dice is going to be your real limiting factor for the amount of rests you can take. If you have no more hit dice left to spend, you don't get HP back. I'd also ideally like some setting to decide the number of hit dice to spend. Maybe I didn't take any damage in a fight and want to save them. Maybe I took a lot of damage and want to spend more than one.

I'm not sure there are time-restricted quests, or that time advancing exists other than main story beats, so asking for time to advance may not make sense.

The problem with unrestricted short rests is the Warlock-type classes that regain most/all of their abilities/spell slots/dice back on a short rest. I mean, my main is a 'lock so I'm ok with that, but it makes the game esaier if you can do that.

2 per day, as mostly everyone has said, is truly the optimal amount, otherwise you can have a party of warlocks and battle master fighters and just cheese the game.

stranger
stranger
One short rest is just too few. two should be fine.

journeyman
journeyman
Yes, long rests needs to be restricted based on surroundings, ect.

enthusiast
enthusiast
yeah it needs a restriction on short rests because if there isn't one, some classes get OP. In pnp the GM determines the number, in the game you could argue that Larian are the GM, determining the number they'l let you get away with, but the general guideline is 2. So IMO the game should allow 2 short rests per long rest. For long rests, if you want to have two close together, it could do a think of basically forcing a timeskip to make it so you still only had one per 24hours. Again though, that stuff is partly linked to actually having time play a part in the game i.e. timed quests being the major one. but obviously certain spell durations is another thing

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by SLOPOrion

The problem with unrestricted short rests is the Warlock-type classes that regain most/all of their abilities/spell slots/dice back on a short rest. I mean, my main is a 'lock so I'm ok with that, but it makes the game esaier if you can do that.

2 per day, as mostly everyone has said, is truly the optimal amount, otherwise you can have a party of warlocks and battle master fighters and just cheese the game.

Fair enough, that's a good point.

enthusiast
enthusiast
+1

old hand
old hand
I haven't even used a warlock yet, but even Shadowheart can't do anything with only a single short rest.

I got Wyll but had to send him back to camp.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 07/10/20 10:27 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by SLOPOrion

Currently you can cheese long rests.

I imagine that will be fixed though. Aside from that, the warlock class in PnP typically relies on having more short rests being available than 2, any game I've been in warlocks dictate a required short rest after just a few encounters. While casting EB every turn for 5 or 6 encounters in a row lasting 20 mins each is amazing fun and all but typically, they like to use at least one turn doing something else. At higher levels DMs get more restrictive on this but lvls 1 - 10 short rests are really common with a warlock in the party and the reason is simple, if you're restricted to 2 short rests between long rests, the warlock class becomes deadweight as anything other than a dip class in regards to combat. Limiting to 2 is just wrong. Plain and simple. There is no refuting that and any DM that says otherwise should talk to their warlock to see how they feel about it. Restricting your players to 2 means your pure warlock player will feel like a fifth wheel half the time in combat and on a road to boredom the other half.

Warlock is designed to use a fair number of short rests, this is why the limit of healing during a short rest is decoupled from the short rests themselves.

On a further note, people highly overate the negative impact of cheese. This game is using the BG name. Two games that can be cheesed to high heaven in a vast number of ways. Seriously there is an insane number of cheesing methods you can use for various aspects of those games. In reality however, most people don't cheese because unless you're specifically setting out to engage in cheesey silliness it's just not fun.

I've killed firkraag with hundreds of thief traps for a laugh, and most of the tougher baddies in BG2 and ToB, but I've played through it far, far, far more times without cheesing. Using and abusing cheese in a single player game is a choice that a player makes, and anyone that does it to get through the game on their first playthrough, clearly isn't put off by a lack of challenge. As for the multiplayer aspect, its not an option because either everyone's into it, or someone gets pissed and leaves the other to it. In DMed multiplayer or persistent worlds or any other multiplayer setting this sort of cheese is restricted and I have no doubt that anyone capable of building such modules/stories/servers will be able to limit such behaviour.

Cheesing is really a non issue.

Last edited by Malkie; 07/10/20 10:49 PM. Reason: Grammar
journeyman
journeyman
+1

2 short rests would be fine

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard