Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
stranger
stranger
This will almost certainly be a difficulty thing. I imagine Normal will stay at 1-2, easy at 3, possibly unlimited on Very Easy/Casual. Hard and higher will probably just disable them outright and impose further restrictions on long rests. Balance wise, 1 has been fine for me thus far, I've not hit any points in where I felt like I was really hurting for more, but that is likely due to playstyle and overall difficulty.

Last edited by Panicintrinsica; 07/10/20 10:54 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Now that i've debunked the cheesing argument I will say a limit on short rests would be good. I feel 2 however isn't suitable. I feel like this means warlock cant really fit into a 4-man party. Their lack of spell slots coupled with lack of spell diversity makes them unsuitable to be a main caster and with only 4 people you need a main caster. As such with only 4 character slots, a limit of 2 makes warlock a vastly inferior pick for your arcane character. With Wyll being one of the more interesting companions this would be a real shame, although my personal preference to play warlock makes him an unlikely choice for me anyway.

apprentice
apprentice
Honestly everyone saying 2 is good, should take a moment to think about balance in a broader light rather than going with the knee-jerk reaction of "2 sounds about right" which I'll admit I almost agreed to myself after my cheese rant.

apprentice
apprentice
"2 is good" as a baseline but I definitely think that having it scale with character level may be a good idea too. In tabletop D&D there are four tiers of play, 1-4, 5-10, 10-16, 16+. Larian hasn't settled on BG3's max level but it's probably going to be somewhere in that third tier. I can imagine basically getting an extra short rest as you go up in tiers, having a max of 3 or 4 at high levels when you have more HP, hit die and short rest resources that you'd need to recover.

Alternatively, peg short rests per level to single-class proficiency bonus?

stranger
stranger
I agree with 2 short rests. Also agree with requiring long rest camping to be outdoors, but maybe with an exception. It would be nice to have the option of making a makeshift camp in a cave for a long rest with risk. For example, potential random monster attacks that are not with exp to prevent farming, but a risk vs reward situation. I know in tabletop games I’ve played, there have been situations where we’ve made makeshift camps in hiding in very risky territory. It’s just a matter of how much player agency are they really allowing us to have and how difficult or easy can it be to cheese since you don’t have a DM enforcing a bad payoff.

addict
addict
Some classes are balanced on the fact they benefit from Short Rests, so +1. Many Short Rests is normal.

My harshest DM generally gives us two Short Rests. Other DMs much more.

stranger
stranger
+1

2 rests or cooldown (that or special option for warlock)

apprentice
apprentice
As a warlock player the short rest thing is dumb. Just give unlimited i mean it worked with bed rolls in divinity 2. Who cares if people cheese it? makes the game more fun and if you wnt a challenge just play a hhigher difficulty that nerfs it to 1-2 per long rest or just doesnt let you use it at all...

stranger
stranger
Imo a day/night cycle that tracks 24 hour periods is needed. If you don't need to manage your sleep/exhaustion then you're not an adventuring party. Plus, a limited number of hours in the day adds a sense of false urgency and a plethora of additional story thread possibilities. Then you just make short rests take a legitimate 1 hour block of time and allow the party to throw them away at their leisure.

Last edited by HoverHorse; 08/10/20 05:30 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by HoverHorse
Imo a day/night cycle that tracks 24 hour periods is needed. If you don't need to manage your sleep/exhaustion then you're not an adventuring party. Plus, a limited number of hours in the day adds a sense of false urgency and a plethora of additional story thread possibilities. Then you just make short rests take a legitimate 1 hour block of time and allow the party to throw them away at their leisure.

This should be the solution, Exhaustion and sleep is core in d&d and every single game has it (BG 1,2 , Neverwinter , Pathfinder) it will be so weird if BG3 just ignored this.

I also feel the teleporting outside to the camp and back in without failure or real time spend (i even long rested in the middle of a scene or after a quick save half second before a encounter started), to be weird and out of place without in game justification. I mean you get that in BG2 TOB when you get the pocket plane at lvl 18+ . Its a free Mordenkainens magnificent mansion at lvl 1. (but we also get free teleportation circles so xD)

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by blindhamster
yeah it should be 2 short rests per long. And both short and long should actually progress time (meaning any time dependant quests would put pressure on the player not to rest)

Agree

enthusiast
enthusiast
+1

A single short rest is the same thing as nerfing every class really, but Warlocks get hit the worst.

Necromancy is just recycling...
R
stranger
stranger
R
Without a day/night cycle system, I think the best way to handle it would be to give the player a total of 2 short rests per long rest. It wouldn't make sense to have more, in my opinion, because you'd still be traveling, fighting, meeting NPCs, etc. which would also take time out of your day. They probably left it at 1 short rest to force players to return to camp for the extra story progression. But allowing 2 short rests would still force players to return to camp and would also give Warlocks and other classes a bit more of an edge.

EDIT: I also think that short rests shouldn't automatically heal you without repercussion. In 5E you use hit dies to recuperate health points. This should be added into the game because this would also give players reason to long rest.

Last edited by Raiyan; 14/10/20 03:05 PM.
H
journeyman
journeyman
H
Thanks for the clarification. I'd been using this game to compare 5e to 13th Age, which assumes up to 4 encounters a day, and roughly 3 short rests (less if double strength encounters), and also recharge rolls for certain powers and items on a short rest. If you'd not said, I'd have not known!

Maybe the game has more harder encounters compared to pnp? But 1 certainly seemed way too few to me

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
Originally Posted by Raiyan
Without a day/night cycle system, I think the best way to handle it would be to give the player a total of 2 short rests per long rest. It wouldn't make sense to have more, in my opinion, because you'd still be traveling, fighting, meeting NPCs, etc. which would also take time out of your day. They probably left it at 1 short rest to force players to return to camp for the extra story progression. But allowing 2 short rests would still force players to return to camp and would also give Warlocks and other classes a bit more of an edge.

EDIT: I also think that short rests shouldn't automatically heal you without repercussion. In 5E you use hit dies to recuperate health points. This should be added into the game because this would also give players reason to long rest.

Could they simulate the renewing powers by giving classes with renewable resources a power gathering daily on top of the one the whole party gets?

Last edited by hairyscotsman; 14/10/20 03:13 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard