Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hello,

Currently game calculates a skill check DC in background and shows us what we have to roll on the dice. This means same task have a different target for your different characters.
Normally on DnD you add your bonuses up and you try to beat DC. DM does not gave you pre-calculated "dice target".

There is a big reddit thread for this too; https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...iers_are_subtracted_from_the_dc_instead/

My opinion is , although it maybe easier for some / new players, it makes it harder to compare your characters, because you never see the addition of their skill focus. ( one has +5 , other has +12 for example) . Also, if these players got curious and wants to play 5e, they will be VERY confused. (5e is the simplest system, too simple for my taste but to unlearn something is very hard)

I suggest at least there should be an OPTION to show DC and Bonuses OR your d20 dice target. Since the math behind is very simple i believe it can be a representation option which make everyone happy.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

AMD Ryzen 7700X, 64GB Ram, Rtx 3080 12GB, lg-34GK950F-B,Logitech Z906 Thx.
apprentice
apprentice
+1

There should be a toggle option at least. Personally I would prefer to see the DC and not roll target.

stranger
stranger
I would also like this as an option to toggle.

apprentice
apprentice
+1 to toggle please! Much prefer roll + bonus vs set DC

stranger
stranger
I've noticed and thought about that too.
But while i would like to have the details of the DC and bonuses visible at a glance i find it a lot more suspenseful to roll an actual d20. And both need not be exclusive.
I would also like actual 3d dice rolling over the screen with different colors for each player in multiplayer. And of course there are times when you would appreciate an instantaneous result. Seems like small effort that would make a lot of people happy.
You could probably sell dice skins considering the infantile fascination many role players have with that good old twenty sided. I wonder if someone is working on a dice mod already ...

stranger
stranger
+1 I agree too. As a DnD player, I much prefer the bonuses too. It also helps to portray difficulty across the board in a standard way. Having a DC Charisma check of 1 because your character is good at it is misleading into thinking this character is easy to convince. A hard difficulty check, with big bonuses, portrays your characters proficiency in that skill much more clearly and to me is way more rewarding because you immediately understand that this check is supposed to be hard!

Link Copied to Clipboard