Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#678950 07/10/20 03:56 PM
Dorntdc Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I know that the literal logo of Larian Studios is a super serious warrior guy getting shot in the head by a nerf dart. You can see this sort of whackiness all over the place in DOS1/2 and it's great.

It's not great in 5E though. Please tone it down. I want a bit more serious in my Dungeons and Dragons. I don't want to come around every corner and find a barrel of oil. I don't want every room to spawn grease on the floor and shoot fireballs everywhere. It breaks immersion and detracts from the essence of the game.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I dont agree. I mean I do think BG3 should generally aim for a bit more serious tone than DoS (I wouldnt want it devoid of humor tho), but does it really matter just for the studio logo? Portal didnt have any people with valves on the back of their head, but my immersion remained intact.

A
stranger
stranger
A
What are you talking about?
If you didn't have to deal with environmental hazards in your dnd games, you didn't have your dm use all of their tools

stranger
stranger
Yes. Please respect the legacy of Minsc and ensure the game is consistently somber in tone.

Dorntdc Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Aetheros
If you didn't have to deal with environmental hazards in your dnd games, you didn't have your dm use all of their tools

Let me give you a great example: https://www.dndbeyond.com/spells/grease

In previous versions of the game this spell would set on fire. They specifically removed that in 5E on purpose. They did that for a reason. Also I'm not against hazards. I'm just against ridiculous amounts of hazards. This game breaks immersion with the amount of nonsense going on.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Andy Butula
Yes. Please respect the legacy of Minsc and ensure the game is consistently somber in tone.

LOL for real eh? anyone who thinks baulder's gate is "all serious all the time" clearly never played the games. that was the great thing about the games, I laughed I cried, I vowed bloody vengence. it provoked a whole host of emotions

M
stranger
stranger
M
While I agree that Baldur's Gate has always had humor, the general tone of the world always felt sort of oppressive and dark.. It probably has a lot to do with the art. From the gameplay I've seen of Baldur's Gate 3, I don't really get the same feeling at all. With regards to OP I think they ment that the game can feel sort of gimmicky when the areas are littered with obvious gameplay mechanics isntead of being a more believable word.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Dorntdc

In previous versions of the game this spell would set on fire. They specifically removed that in 5E on purpose. They did that for a reason. Also I'm not against hazards. I'm just against ridiculous amounts of hazards. This game breaks immersion with the amount of nonsense going on.

I am totally with you on this. As a DM I do provide hazards for my party when and where they make sense. Random barrel of oil in the middle of the library? Uh, why? You need to give the player a hint as to why it's there or it doesn't make sense. So put that random barrel of oil in a store room. Makes perfect sense for it to be there,

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Zandilar
Originally Posted by Dorntdc

I am totally with you on this. As a DM I do provide hazards for my party when and where they make sense. Random barrel of oil in the middle of the library? Uh, why? You need to give the player a hint as to why it's there or it doesn't make sense. So put that random barrel of oil in a store room. Makes perfect sense for it to be there,

Agree. PLEASE, this is Baldur's Gate in Forgotten Realms!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by BrianDavion

LOL for real eh? anyone who thinks baulder's gate is "all serious all the time" clearly never played the games. that was the great thing about the games, I laughed I cried, I vowed bloody vengence. it provoked a whole host of emotions

If he used Minsc as a "serious" example I´m pretty sure Andy was being /ironic =D

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by _Vic_
Originally Posted by BrianDavion

If he used Minsc as a "serious" example I´m pretty sure Andy was being /ironic =D

MISC IS A VERY SERIOUS RANGER! THE MOST SERIOUS ONE!

Seriously though, I was agreeing with him. the "eh" after "lol for real" should have indicated that smile

veteran
veteran
k, gotcha! =D

addict
addict
Sounds like someone failed their Perception checks and couldn't disarm the traps in the crypt. eek

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard