Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Jharryl Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
DOS party handling;
DOS combat;
DOS surface interactions.

What else is there to an RPG but the environment, party, party movement and combat? The only thing DnD here, is the setting.

I thoroughly loved BG/BG II. I disliked DOS/DOS II. Bought this expecting BG, got DOS. Refunded via STEAM. You apparently were not convinced of the market viabilitry of DOS III, so you hijacked BG to get your DOS III game out. Shame on you.

W
veteran
veteran
W
😂😂😂

Wizards of the Coast loved DOS1 and 2. They asked Larian to make BG3.

Shame on them, I guess.

veteran
veteran
Wow, you refunded the game twice already. That's really impressive.

Jharryl Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Stabbey

you have never been in a group and been accused of being the smart one, have you.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Jharryl
Originally Posted by Stabbey

you have never been in a group and been accused of being the smart one, have you.

I´m sure many times more you´ve been accused of being polite =D

Last edited by _Vic_; 08/10/20 03:47 AM.
veteran
veteran
If you refunded the game after 85 minutes, you clearly don't have the proper understanding of what EA is about, or the proper mindset for playing it in EA. There's no reason for you to be hanging around the forums any longer if you're no longer playing the game and interested in offering constructive feedback. That calls into question your sincerity.

addict
addict
This is certainly an original take and your name will echo in the annals of history.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

addict
addict
Surprisingly, I am loving this game. Even the TB combat. MUCH improved from DOS2

Last edited by IrenicusBG3; 08/10/20 04:47 AM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Party handling: Are you talking about how this games doesnt work by selecting party members like you select units in starcraft or folders in windows? Ok sure I agree, you dont select them like that. This point doesnt make a lot of sense when you dont say anything about how youd like the party to be handled.

DoS combat: No it most definetly is not. It is turn based, thats about it. Movement works differently, action economy works diffferently(instead of an action point cost there are full actions and bonus actions and you get one of each), initiative works differently, abilities are gained differently and are new and different abilities. Combat is very different from DoS.

Surface gameplay: Yea here is the thing, surfaces are part of DnD too. DnD has surfaces that cost extra movement, it has spells that make sticky surfaces, entangling vines, etc. If you run on a patch of ice in a DnD session the DM is very likely to ask you to make a dexterity save to not fall on your ass. If you pour lamp oil on the ground, then light it on fire and the dance around in the fire, your DM would be kind of weird to decide that fire has no effect on you.

F
addict
addict
F
No, lets call it "Civilization VII", because:

* Same CPU
* Same graphics card
* Same keyboard
* Same mouse
* Same quantum mechanics on which the Universe is based upon

Or how about "HalfLife III"?

* Same colours (red, green, blue, yellow, violet, etc...)
* Same sound (16 Hz through 20 kHz)
* Same air (78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen)

And while we are at it - why not "HZD III"?

* Uses bows!
* Uses skills!
* Uses a camera to look around!!1

TL;DR: ARE YOU SERIOUS?

#JusticeForKarlach

Petition to save Karlach: https://www.change.org/p/justice-for-karlach
journeyman
journeyman
it's not about os mechancs tbh, but implementing them in a core d&d game, as a highly creative game master would do... it's as i stated somewhere else allready, it's not pioson sets everything on fire... this wouldn't work in baldurs gate 3... poison cripples ur body in d&d... you gotta fit all into the lore !

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Skallewag
Surface gameplay: Yea here is the thing, surfaces are part of DnD too. DnD has surfaces that cost extra movement, it has spells that make sticky surfaces, entangling vines, etc. If you run on a patch of ice in a DnD session the DM is very likely to ask you to make a dexterity save to not fall on your ass. If you pour lamp oil on the ground, then light it on fire and the dance around in the fire, your DM would be kind of weird to decide that fire has no effect on you.

True, but what Larian does with this "option" is a bit much... it basically has the same importance then it had in DOS combat, and that's not how it's supposed to work in D&D. Sure, I get it, the engine is capable of it, and the devs are obviously quite in love with these mechanics, but they wanted to make a Baldur's Gate game... right?

journeyman
journeyman
i agree the story must set up the mechanics... it has to weave them into the baldurs gate 3 game if it is possible i do not know...

stranger
stranger
Only thing DOS III about it in my opinion are the surplus of AoEs that leave ground effects for some reason that wouldn't normally leave anything on the ground in D&D 5e (examples: Firebolt, Ray of Frost and Acid Splash). Besides that it's been pretty faithful to D&D and Baldur's Gate's storyline.

Elf Cleric for Hire! I only accept gold or compliments to my healing. Doubting me costs EXTRA.
journeyman
journeyman
i agree but tactical depth in a video game, enables extra mechanics for a tactical setup... still it should be called bg tactics or smth.. as for a video game

Last edited by Yezam; 08/10/20 08:23 AM.
I don't understand why this forum is so hostile to people who are disappointed by this game for perfectly valid reasons. OP wasn't being the most tactful about it, but there is some useful feedback to draw from this - BG3 still very clearly feels like a Divinity game more than a game of its own (let alone a BG game). Even though it's still just EA, assuming that is going to change drastically would be wishful thinking. I'm enjoying the game a lot so far, but that's because I didn't expect a "Baldur's Gate" experience from it, but rather a digital DnD5e, which it very well delivers.

I'm sorry about your disappointment, OP. Keep in mind that today's WotC have nothing to do with the actual people behind the original Baldur's Gate. I suggest you give Pathfinder: Kingmaker a try, in case you haven't yet. It might scratch that itch you're having.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Skallewag

A DM wouldn't typically design every encounter with oil lamps balanced precariously all over the place, though, which is kind of how it feels in Larian games. Similarly, if a D&D player stabbed someone with a dagger and then asked me (the DM) if they could cast Frostbite to freeze the resulting lake of blood and cause everyone nearby to comically fall over, I'd need surgery to repair the strain from my overly-raised eyebrow.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
@warbaby2
All I gather from your statement is that you have not played a lot of either DoS game. Surfaces in BG3 are nowhere near as prominent or as large as in DoS 1 or 2. In DoS I can grab a random oil barrel (which are placed all around the world and especially in areas with enemies, something I think youd have a hard time pointing out in BG3) and a candle holder, drag them up behind an enemy, then back off and shoot an arrow not at the enemy but at the barrel. In the early stages of the game that simple interaction with some items feom my enviorment can take half or even all of some smaller enemies health.

I can make a starting character that has nothing but surface skills. Make it rain to spread water over a huge area, turn the water into poison and then set the poison on fire, killing entire groups of enemies without hitting any of them directly. You can not do this from lv1 with any DnD build, and I doubt it will be possible at later levels either.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I agree, oil lamps everywhere standard in DnD, it is also not a thing that applies to BG3. There are not a bunch of oil lamps stacked everywhere. In the nautiloid ship there are a lot of containers with brains and questionable liquids, but you haveto admit its quite a weak argument that nautiloid ships shouldnt have any containers with questionable liquids, right? wink

journeyman
journeyman
you can implement stuff like you panic, if you catch fire or similar as long it doesn't hurt core mechanics/lore/ruleset... but that would be a rather simple addition, to a game developed over decades, you see... that's a very sensitive issue, i get it...

but tbh in most d&d video games, it's a bit boring to play a pure fighter too... and when it comes to a video game, what about balancing? maybe the focus should be on a lore friendly, deversitive, d&d like and reasonably good implemented gameplay...

Last edited by Yezam; 08/10/20 08:41 AM.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard