Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
if this game was anything like DOS 1 and 2 it wouldn't be terriable... you've clearly never played them or this.

stranger
stranger
I never particularly liked DnD(-ish) computer games (BGs, Neverwinter Nights, etc). Still tried to play for the story and dialogues, but the combat system was dull for me. It's just too slow, boring.. I don't know exactly how to describe it. Combat in DOS games however, *especially* surface interactions, is awesome. Very dynamic and fun, lots of options in combat, much more engaging and tactical. Therefore, BG3 being close to DOS is the only reason for me to be hopeful that the game will be great. And so far I'm absolutely loving it (minus the bugs and some nitpicks). I wish they'd show number ranges in a form suitable for humans, i.e. 2d4+2 should be displayed as 4-10. People shouldn't have to be living calculators to be able to just read some text off the screen. That's a rudiment from physical dice games, but we're on computers you know, it's 21 century and computers are able to generate random numbers for you, there is no physical dice and none of the complications are needed for any reason. So, nitpicks like that. But things that matter - visuals, characters, dialogues, story, combat etc - so far are great. If it were like old BG I wouldn't have been interested at all.

Last edited by Wi1em_; 08/10/20 08:56 AM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
If you care about BG3 being better than it is currently, why not share some of your thoughts as to why you think its terrible?

done...

journeyman
journeyman
i failed the panic check, will run circles screaming (on fire)

Last edited by Yezam; 08/10/20 09:02 AM.
Dont let RNG control your life.

journeyman
journeyman
to pc god rng means i end up beeing cursed dead and buried, in 2nd fight of act 1... (life is dangerous, if you are out of luck)

Last edited by Yezam; 08/10/20 09:11 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Skallewag
I agree, oil lamps everywhere standard in DnD, it is also not a thing that applies to BG3. There are not a bunch of oil lamps stacked everywhere.

You say that, but one of the first major fights I had was in a crypt where - surprise, surprise - the enemies were milling about next to several explosive barrels which were just plonked in the middle of the room for no obvious reason.

Guess how that battle went down.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Wrathbone
I agree, oil lamps everywhere standard in DnD, it is also not a thing that applies to BG3. There are not a bunch of oil lamps stacked everywhere.

You say that, but one of the first major fights I had was in a crypt where - surprise, surprise - the enemies were milling about next to several explosive barrels which were just plonked in the middle of the room for no obvious reason.

That's the thing: It's gamy, it's "red barrels", basically... lamp oil doesn't even behave like that. It's not high octane gasoline. It would spill and burn, sure, if your arrow or spell would even breach the barrel (wood has a hardness and hitpoints, like every item in D&D), that is. There are very valuable substances that can explode in Fearun (force oil or Gnomish smoke powder, for instance), but you wouldn't find a barrel of that stuff just sitting somewhere.

Stuff like that is why I never got into the new Divinity games: Everything is too gamy, bubbly and colourful... it's not high fantasy, it's Michael Bay fantasy. wink

Last edited by WarBaby2; 08/10/20 10:50 AM.
stranger
stranger
Ok, its really feels like DOS, not like BG, for me everything is great, but its to shiny. I mean when Sarevok killed Gorion in BG1 it was unexpected, it was dark, Imoen cried and you believe her. From the start you already get new emotions. Never feel something similar in DOS. I want more epic music, more sounds of wilderness, more atmosphere, more mystery.

Again saying this blasphomy of a game plays like Divinity is insulting divinity, this is nothing like divinity games unfortunately your not going to find atmosphere in a game with no fog of of war and you can just prescout the map with your camera.

Last edited by Emulate; 08/10/20 10:54 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Stabbey
If you refunded the game after 85 minutes, you clearly don't have the proper understanding of what EA is about, or the proper mindset for playing it in EA. There's no reason for you to be hanging around the forums any longer if you're no longer playing the game and interested in offering constructive feedback. That calls into question your sincerity.

Not sure if you realize this, but Steam at least won't let you refund a game after a certain amount of playtime. Early Access games should be different, but probably aren't.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by WarBaby2

That's the thing: It's gamy, it's "red barrels", basically... lamp oil doesn't even behave like that. It's not high octane gasoline. It would spill and burn, sure, if your arrow or spell would even breach the barrel (wood has a hardness and hitpoints, like every item in D&D), that is. There are very valuable substances that can explode in Fearun (force oil or Gnomish smoke powder, for instance), but you wouldn't find a barrel of that stuff just sitting somewhere.

Stuff like that is why I never got into the new Divinity games: Everything is too gamy, bubbly and colourful... it's not high fantasy, it's Michael Bay fantasy. wink

To me, this is a big part of why it isn't BG3. I enjoyed the Divinity games for what they were, and I'd hoped Larian could switch gears and make a more serious game. But they can't, apparently. I'd still buy it and play it for being DOS3, but if you're expecting BG3 I think you'll be let down.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Emulate
Again saying this blasphomy of a game plays like Divinity is insulting divinity, this is nothing like divinity games unfortunately.

True, it isn't, but it also doesn't play like a D&D/Baldur's Gate game, which always have been a much more grounded, classical fantasy experience... and many, many, many people coming into this project will expect that from it.

Originally Posted by Lindon
To me, this is a big part of why it isn't BG3. I enjoyed the Divinity games for what they were, and I'd hoped Larian could switch gears and make a more serious game. But they can't, apparently. I'd still buy it and play it for being DOS3, but if you're expecting BG3 I think you'll be let down.

To be fair, it's not only them, it's also the engine... but for now, I have to agree.

Last edited by WarBaby2; 08/10/20 10:57 AM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Ok you are pointing to one battle where there was something flamable nearby, guess what thats kind of the point of implementing stuff being flamable. If its never gonna come up in a fight it would be pointless to waste coding on it. What I pointed out to you was that DoS combat had a very high frequency of random barrels in the world, especially near places likely to see combat. On top of that there were not only a lot of skills centered around surfaces or having the primary function of creeating a surface but the surfaces were also large and you could defeat enemies with little to no input besides playing around with surfaces.

So you point to one battle that had some sort of oil container to take advantage of, I now point to like 50% of DoS2 battles having one or more barrels to create some type of surface with. I am not making the argument that surface mechanics doesnt exist in BG3, I am pointing out that its way less frequent. So far you have not refuted that and pointing to a single example will not acomplish that either.

apprentice
apprentice
I'd say about a third of the encounters so far have had some form of environmental spillage going on. And let's not forget the fact that many spells now create surfaces where the 5E rules state nothing of the sort. Surfaces may not be as big a thing in BG3 as OS, but pretending they're not a substantial part of combat and have warped the 5E rules somewhat to accommodate them is a bit disingenuous. Like it or not, OS mechanics that have little or nothing to do with D&D are very much part of BG3 at the moment. Personally I wish that wasn't the case.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'd say about a third of the encounters so far have had some form of environmental spillage going on. And let's not forget the fact that many spells now create surfaces where the 5E rules state nothing of the sort. Surfaces may not be as big a thing in BG3 as OS, but pretending they're not a substantial part of combat and have warped the 5E rules somewhat to accommodate them is a bit disingenuous. Like it or not, OS mechanics that have little or nothing to do with D&D are very much part of BG3 at the moment. Personally I wish that wasn't the case.

Same... I really hope Larian reconsiders there, and hard. Only because the engine can do it, doesn't mean it has to be there, and it makes things like Cantrips and thrown weapons much to powerful and vital for combat balance.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I am sure we all remember BG differently but I am willing to make an assumption that most of us remember it fondly but still have in mind it was...20 years ago. Yes, that long if you played it shortly after it's release.

It's nice to throw around nostalgic sentiments but I find most of my childhood games obsolete in many ways now. I remember the magic of it all when it was new a shiny but returning to it after 20 years sure feels like returning to your childhood home...except it's empty, dusty and filled with cobwebs because nobody lives there anymore.

So what "feel" are we talking about? Nothing is going to feel the same way it used to and it shouldn't - gaming changed, the mechanics changed but a good story is still a good story. I mean...just look at the disparity between BG and IWD. Same game but the amount of players who dropped IWD in favor or BG is huge.

That leads me to believe it's not the game mehcanics that ultimately make or brake the game, because I for one am willing to brave the worst of it just to experience the storytelling.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Jharryl
DOS party handling;
DOS combat;
DOS surface interactions.

What else is there to an RPG but the environment, party, party movement and combat? The only thing DnD here, is the setting.

I thoroughly loved BG/BG II. I disliked DOS/DOS II. Bought this expecting BG, got DOS. Refunded via STEAM. You apparently were not convinced of the market viabilitry of DOS III, so you hijacked BG to get your DOS III game out. Shame on you.

Yeah, I enjoyed both BG2 and DOS2 so I'm not too upset either way, but if anyone is expecting BG3 to feel like BG1 and 2, then I think you'll only be satisfied by the tutorial (maybe).

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Vitani
I am sure we all remember BG differently but I am willing to make an assumption that most of us remember it fondly but still have in mind it was...20 years ago. Yes, that long if you played it shortly after it's release.

I did, but I don't see that's the point people are making here... there is innovating and modernizing what a CRPG can be today, while still adhering to the rules and world I have choosen to represent in my game, and then there is cramming my own design philosophy - built up in games with a completely different look and feel - into something they just don't fit in.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard