Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#680586 08/10/20 08:25 AM
arion Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
There is a things in the 5e thats is not very logical. On of them is Charisma based Intimidation, what if BG 3 used Home rule for this and it will be STR based?

Last edited by arion; 08/10/20 08:27 AM.
stranger
stranger
Because then you're implying only big burly guys can be intimidating and no one should be scared of the smaller poisoned dagger wielding, crazy eyes halfling or the skinny wizard with fire coming off his fingertips. It's all about presentation ^^

arion Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by SpawnLQ
Because then you're implying only big burly guys can be intimidating and no one should be scared of the smaller poisoned dagger wielding, crazy eyes halfling or the skinny wizard with fire coming off his fingertips. It's all about presentation ^^

yeh i know this, but some ppl play with this home rule and have fun. this value STR(which not the best stat in 5e) much more

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by arion

yeh i know this, but some ppl play with this home rule and have fun. this value STR(which not the best stat in 5e) much more

Actually it adds damage and is the primary stat for athletics checks, which determines success of things like grapples, knockdowns, and other physical feats so it's definitely a pretty important stat in 5e lol. There are many home brew rules people come up with but it just wouldn't be practical for a game based on core 5e rules to do that. Any changes they do make i believe are approved by WOTC anyways

arion Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Spent more time in ea and want to admit conversation ingame overloaded by Persuade\Intimidation check. So I am strengthened in the belief that this change will be good for game or situation when you just need Cha based person for all conversation in game will prevail.

M
M
The fact that CHA has Persuade/Intimidation/Deception is ridiculous. Intimidation should be STR. As it is, PER/INT/DEC are just a different flavor of charisma. SpawnLQ might say that CHA is what might make someone intimidating, but I'd argue a burly dude with an axe is more than capable of getting compliance through threatening bodily harm.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
A real life DM would probably allow you a Intimidate (Str) check if you're threatening to do physical violence and looks capable of following through. I would like if it is was possible at character generation to chose between several Intimidates, one for Cha, one for Str, one for Int. It would then be EVEN better if the dialogue along the way would change depending on whether or not you're threatening to make his ribcage into a birdcage (Str) or if you're threatening him intelligently "I see you're favoring your left leg but trying not to. I see you're quite a bit older than your pals here. They're probably counting the days until you're weak enough to take out. There's no safety in numbers among brigands you know. If we come to blows, can you really trust them to have your back? You've got enemies on all sides, you don't want to add us to your list as well" (Though I guess this could've been a persuade as well - but you get my meaning)

However the dialogue seems a bit dull at the moment (though I only just started). I hope, but I'm not optimistic, that the dialogue will become very interesting.

arion Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Slapstick
A real life DM would probably allow you a Intimidate (Str) check if you're threatening to do physical violence and looks capable of following through. I would like if it is was possible at character generation to chose between several Intimidates, one for Cha, one for Str, one for Int.

Yeah that was im talking about, there no DM ingame, so follow game restriction much simple decision is split roles. Brutal guy - intimidation str based and funny guy - Persuade cha based. Seems logical for me.

Originally Posted by Slapstick

However the dialogue seems a bit dull at the moment (though I only just started). I hope, but I'm not optimistic, that the dialogue will become very interesting.

Right now dialogues is very much reminiscent of other CRPG, where almost everything can be solved by persuasion option. Not a big fan of this.

Last edited by arion; 09/10/20 08:58 AM.
stranger
stranger
There's actually an optional rule for STR based intimidation checks. both WotC and DDB support this. I use it frequently in my campaigns, as it doesn't make sense that the Warlock and the Bard can outperform the 18-20 STR half-orc barbarian (automatically proficient in intimidation). You can alt-rule those checks, using STR instead of CHA. I think this should be an option in character creation, where intimidation chooses the higher stat, whether that's CHA or STR. There's a strong precedence for it. I just wonder if Larian will implement it. :-/

enthusiast
enthusiast
There is a things in the 5e thats is not very logical. On of them is Charisma based Intimidation, what if BG 3 used Home rule for this and it will be STR based?

+1 its so common in PnP.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
veteran
veteran
It's a legitimate rule, so I don't really see any problem with Intimidation taking the highest of your STR and CHA mods. This would make the interface a little confusing as Intimidation would appear under both Strength and Charisma, but appropriate tooltips can help alleviate confusion.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Maybe allow Intimidation bonuses to reflect only on the highest stat modifier? Strength or Charisma would influence the roll and not just Charisma? I think that was a feat you could pick. I do believe they had it in Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

arion Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Carsomyr
Maybe allow Intimidation bonuses to reflect only on the highest stat modifier? Strength or Charisma would influence the roll and not just Charisma? I think that was a feat you could pick. I do believe they had it in Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

It's value is too small to justify the cost of the feat. Btw there are many possible solutions(choosing in character creation, different dialogue option or something else), but I think it is enough to draw Larian attention to this issue and the solution how it is easier to make they will find themselves.

Yes I think they should make some intimidation checks STR based, but not all. It should depend on the dialogue. A warlock does not have to be bulky to be intimidating. His magic abilities are. But something like "tell me or your theeth will fall out" against a commoner should be a Intimidation STR check.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Really, those checks should be based on a combination of skills. The bonus should be a mean between CHA and something else. Intimidation should be CHA and possibly STR, but only because they typically write intimidation lines as physical intimidation. Arguably, it could be a combination of CHA with something else depending on how you are intimidating someone or what your class is, with STR perhaps as a default. Like, a rogue should maybe intimidate with CHA and DEX, or Wizards with CHA and Intelligence, since that is what they use to hurt people. Persuasion should be CHA and WIS, and deception should be CHA and INT. Ultimately, this would mean that for every +2 that you have collectively in, say, CHA and WIS, you get +1 to persuasion rolls. Would feel a lot better this way. It's more flexible, more realistic, and very simple to implement.

I love BG3, but this kind of BS is exactly why I honestly think DnD is one of the worst TTRPG systems ever designed.

veteran
veteran

No, if anything it should be a combination of Charisma and intelligence. Strength has nothing to do with intimidation. So what if you can lift heavy shit, and swing big weapons. Without intelligence and force of personality you won't know how to intimidate anyone and others will perceive your intellectual weakness and just trick you.

The game gives Barbarians specific intimidation dialogue not based on strength but the force of personality brought on by their rages.

Blackheifer
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Blackheifer

No, if anything it should be a combination of Charisma and intelligence. Strength has nothing to do with intimidation. So what if you can lift heavy shit, and swing big weapons. Without intelligence and force of personality you won't know how to intimidate anyone and others will perceive your intellectual weakness and just trick you.

The game gives Barbarians specific intimidation dialogue not based on strength but the force of personality brought on by their rages.
I think it depends like for example an Orc or a Half-Orc doesn't need intelligence to be intimidating, getting on bad side of either usually results in death or worse, I get why something as weak, small and pathetic like a Halfling or Gnome would need intelligence to intimidate someone, but for a Big and Muscular person, they really don't need intelligence when they can easily rip someone's arms off and beat them with their own arms.

veteran
veteran
So what if you can lift heavy shit, and swing big weapons.

So what if he can break my skull open with that big ol' axe. I ain't scared.

H
journeyman
journeyman
H

I totally agree.

This game gives Barbarian only a situation advantage for Intimidation checks and that has nothing to do their STR ability. There is nothing preventing a Barbarian player from choosing a low STR build.

High-level spellcasters can summon and/or control high-STR creatures. There is really no logical reason for them to be scared based on someone's STR score. On the other hand, they have an easy time to make high-STR enemies (who are typically not spellcasters) delusional, frightened, fearful, intimidated, etc., unless something prevents that from happening.

T
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
T
Honestly, I could see a Feat to make Intimidate checks using STR modifier instead of CHR.

Maybe make it more flexible and use the highest of STR/DEX/INT. Slap in some Expertise in Intimidation and boom, you got yourself a Feat for those Burly Barbarians, Rakish Rogues and Wicked Wizards who want to impose their will onto people without having to stack CHR.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard