Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by vometia
Originally Posted by Nimue_de
Likewise, Astarion's mannerisms remind me of Frank'N'Further from the Rocky Horror show, which prevents me from taking him the least bit seriously. This is mostly a voice acting issue, not so much a writing one, but I still hope the writers will tone down those personalities a bit.

I quite like him! He reminds me of the male elves from Oblivion, who drove a lot of players nuts because the dunmer in particular weren't the suspicious, gravel-voiced hard-arses from Morrowind but quite the opposite.

Oh, I don't mean that as a vampire he should somehow sound "more evil", just that his way of talking strikes me as not quite natural, for lack of a better term. It's hard to put a finger on it, it just doesn't click for me. On the other hand, it's early days yet and he wouldn't be the first characer to grow on me once I get to know him better, so we'll see.

Last edited by Nimue_de; 08/10/20 12:58 PM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf
'Die N'wah'
'Why won't you die?'
'Ive fought mudcraps much fiercer than you'

I once tried introducing a female friend to Morrowind back when I was at uni, and immediately she got upset by how mean people in the game were talking to her. I explained that was because she still had a low personality and reputation score and that just made her like it even less.

But the thing is games are not meant to resemble real life. Its ok for Drow, Orcs and Tieflings to be inherently evil, another great thing that is gone from RPGs now.

'My favourite race is dark elves' I once told another gamer friend. 'Oh they are evil right?' he asked, to which I explained 'ah but not always you see because they can be like Drizzt' ...

My god yes that was once a real life conversation I had. Now if you call dark elves evil IRL you probably get carted off to the gulag / gitmo.

Oh I once joined a roleplaying server in the early days of DDO, made a drow and stayed in character saying evil things and worshipping my bitch queen umberlee. I got kicked from most groups who didn't get it.

Playing as drow in BG3: everyone friendly to you, no one fears you, "evil" characters respect you. I feel like a princess! I want them to fear me, to hate me, but no... for everyone I meet I just beautiful little fairy! And what's more I hate is my characters reactions on events: snake kills a child? My mighty drow's face looks like a puppy about to cry. Not laughing or at least keeps calm. And there are so many "good" options in dialogs. Ahhh... it's hard to be evil this days.

Last edited by Dingor; 08/10/20 01:28 PM.
addict
addict
I'm going to just copy/paste the same response every time I see this take.

I really think that the companions come across as dicks because, well, they're under a lot of stress with this worm crawling around in their heads.
There's a sense of urgency and immediacy that's putting all of them on edge. Not everyone deals with stress that well, especially not when facing what's essentially a death sentence.
I think that once you really stop to consider the urgency of the situation and can sympathize with them that they'll seem less like edgelords, and more like people who got sucked up by a giant space squid, violated, and had a time-bomb strapped inside of their skulls and are just trying to cope with it.

This is a matter of perception and expectation. If you're a person who is generally upbeat and cheery, and you've never personally been in a high-stakes, immensely stressful or life-threatening situation, you're likely to view all of the companions as varying degrees of asshole. If you've got some grit and have been through hell in your life, it's more likely that you'll fully understand where they're coming from and realize how well and realistic the companions are reacting to the situation.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Tzelanit

I really think that the companions come across as dicks because, well, they're under a lot of stress with this worm crawling around in their heads.
There's a sense of urgency and immediacy that's putting all of them on edge. Not everyone deals with stress that well, especially not when facing what's essentially a death sentence.
I think that once you really stop to consider the urgency of the situation and can sympathize with them that they'll seem less like edgelords, and more like people who got sucked up by a giant space squid, violated, and had a time-bomb strapped inside of their skulls and are just trying to cope with it.

This is a matter of perception and expectation. If you're a person who is generally upbeat and cheery, and you've never personally been in a high-stakes, immensely stressful or life-threatening situation, you're likely to view all of the companions as varying degrees of asshole. If you've got some grit and have been through hell in your life, it's more likely that you'll fully understand where they're coming from and realize how well and realistic the companions are reacting to the situation.

As someone who has found the companions in BG3 excessively abrasive, that's a great take on it. The only counterpoint I'd make is that if you're going to have companions who act harshly because they've (literally) gone through hell, it's vital that they also show vulnerability. That's the difference between a difficult character who you can empathise with and a character who comes across as unflinchingly nasty.

I've started to see some of that vulnerability in my companions after a few hours, so time will tell how that pans out. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt for now.

P
stranger
stranger
P
How pleasant would you be if you were abducted by Mind Flayers, had a parasite put into your eye, and had to fight for your life? It's been a rough start for everyone.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Wrathbone
Originally Posted by Tzelanit

As someone who has found the companions in BG3 excessively abrasive, that's a great take on it. The only counterpoint I'd make is that if you're going to have companions who act harshly because they've (literally) gone through hell, it's vital that they also show vulnerability. That's the difference between a difficult character who you can empathise with and a character who comes across as unflinchingly nasty.

I've started to see some of that vulnerability in my companions after a few hours, so time will tell how that pans out. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt for now.

I'm willing to bet that they'll loosen up further into the game.
Early on, they're putting faith in complete strangers and hoping to survive.
I'm not sure how anyone could expect people in this situation to be flowery and light-hearted.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

stranger
stranger
Your companions are a vampire spawn who finally achieved his freedom after 100 years only to realize that he might be turning into another monster, a priestess of an EVIL goddess who wants to blanket the world in eternal darkness, a man who sold his soul to a devil so he could play hero, a mage who seeks out ancient artefacts to absorb their magic so he can stave off some curse, and a gythyanki warrior who is being enslaved by her races ancient enemy and has to work with those she deems beneth her.

Also, Larian studios also stated that this was going to be an "evil" game.......not everything can be sunshine and rainbows.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Oinkus
Companions aren't exactly fun at the start and that is as far as I have gotten. Whole idea of Game=Fun seems to be lost ? I keep running through the first 2 areas trying different classes but it is completely linear without much room for any sort of leeway to take a left and go off Larians plotted course. Everything in the Universe being hostile is not my idea of a good game of D&D. Removal of Alignment and changing the basic ruleset seemingly randomly makes for some weirdness. Feels a lot like DoS 2 and that is NOT good in my opinion.

I agree, Game=Fun is the most important thing for me!

I am not really much of a gamer, so please take my information with a large grain of salt. BG was actually a gift I received a long time ago, and the only other computer game I had ever played at that point was Lords of Magic, which was also a gift. I played BG many times through and loved it, especially once I discovered EE Keeper. I went through a period when I dabbled with Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil, Diabolo, Morrowind, Dungeon Siege, & Icewind Dale, but I never finished those games. I managed to barely finish NWN and Dragon Age because I liked the BioWare people and I was a NWN beta tester, but I was basically on autopilot by the endings of those games. I just stopped playing after that. I did recently pick up the Beamdog BG Dragonspear expansion, but that turned into another autopilot situation.

So here comes BG III finally, and I expect to see lots of constructive criticism in the forums and reviews because people have a lot of love for the BG legacy. I am hoping the bottom line will be that the game is overall fun to play. I look forward to the full release!

stranger
stranger
They just got abducted and had a lethal Illithid larva implanted in their brains. Then they got attacked by demons and dragons. Then the octopus ship they were in crashed and burned. They are stuck in an unknown area with nothing but potentially hostile strangers and are about to cease to exist.

I think being a little short is warranted until you earn their trust and respect.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Argyle

That is outrageous. Gaming is serious business, I'll have you know. I shall ban anybody who continues to suggest that they want something as frivolous as so-called... "fun". I am shocked and outraged; "back in my day", etc.

evil

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by vometia
Originally Posted by Argyle

That is outrageous. Gaming is serious business, I'll have you know. I shall ban anybody who continues to suggest that they want something as frivolous as so-called... "fun". I am shocked and outraged; "back in my day", etc.

evil

...and now get off my lawn!

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Ti2sun
Your companions are a vampire spawn who finally achieved his freedom after 100 years only to realize that he might be turning into another monster, a priestess of an EVIL goddess who wants to blanket the world in eternal darkness, a man who sold his soul to a devil so he could play hero, a mage who seeks out ancient artefacts to absorb their magic so he can stave off some curse, and a gythyanki warrior who is being enslaved by her races ancient enemy and has to work with those she deems beneth her.

Also, Larian studios also stated that this was going to be an "evil" game.......not everything can be sunshine and rainbows.

Actually, Larian just said that they included the evil companions first and that they will add the good companions later. Sunshine and rainbows are on their way.

Companions aren't exactly fun at the start and that is as far as I have gotten. Whole idea of Game=Fun seems to be lost ? I keep running through the first 2 areas trying different classes but it is completely linear without much room for any sort of leeway to take a left and go off Larians plotted course. Everything in the Universe being hostile is not my idea of a good game of D&D. Removal of Alignment and changing the basic ruleset seemingly randomly makes for some weirdness. Feels a lot like DoS 2 and that is NOT good in my opinion.

Shadowheart is great fun! Just listen to her and watch her eyebrows. Her smouldering glances are amazing!

Sestuna Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Bubusse
I must admit the firsts characters to join the group are mean... I can understand for Lazael and Astarion, but Gale and Shadow .. ?

shadowheart seems totally not flushed out at all.
Evil/dark cleric
gets mad at me when i do the bad thing in a choice in conversation but laezel approves..... what? isnt shadowheart supposed to be evil cleric?? why is she only for doing the "good" option then??

stranger
stranger
I think people are confusing this game with a homebrew that their friend made during the summer and they got to do whatever they wanted. This is a module with a predetermined story and adventure path and not your homebrew. Do you know how many DnD games have died because players refused to go on the story their DM planned for?

Sestuna Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Dulany67
What I find when I see this complaint is that people are mad that the women are not nice to them.

OP literally wrote that everyone is a dick n cunt. youre projecting, the male characters are just as obnoxious and rude

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Sestuna
Originally Posted by Bubusse
I must admit the firsts characters to join the group are mean... I can understand for Lazael and Astarion, but Gale and Shadow .. ?

shadowheart seems totally not flushed out at all.
Evil/dark cleric
gets mad at me when i do the bad thing in a choice in conversation but laezel approves..... what? isnt shadowheart supposed to be evil cleric?? why is she only for doing the "good" option then??

Look up the goddess she worships and you'll understand a bit more about her.

Last edited by Ti2sun; 08/10/20 03:58 PM.
Sestuna Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice

couldnt agree more
hell its even got the "stereotypical good guild is evil in our game" trope
in dos2 it was the paladin order, in bg3 its druid enclave.....dos2 was a good game but it wasnt dnd

I've actually found myself liking the evil/neutral NPCs much more than I expected. Perhaps it's the dialogue choices my character is making?

The character I've enjoyed least is Astarion, but perhaps he is just the character with the strongest defences--who occasionally sounds an awful lot like the Red Prince, which is, for me, a distraction.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Astarion sounds more like a sassy Liquid Snake to me. I dig it. 😂

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard