Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Shanks Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Larian, You guys are so awesome. I love DOS and DOS2 so much, and I am so psyched that you are doing DnD games now as well. I think you are absolutely the right ones for the job, and I gotta say, a couple days in I am loving so so much of this game.
With it being early access, obviously there are some bugs and whatnot to workout, and there are some game mechanics that will need to be tweaked through development.
In an attempt to show my gratitude for your work I am going to be posting some of the issues i have here, as well as some suggestions for game features and mechanics that may need to change. These are largely one man's opinion, but please take them to heart as I am speaking from someone who loves Larian, as well as DnD 5e.

1. it has been said by many others, and probably better than I can, but cantrips and surfaces need to change. It just feels like it is breaking the combat system for 5e. (my opinion is that it should be the normal damage/ effects as per 5e rules when targeting a creature, and allow it to create a surface if you target a surface. Though anyone stepping on it should still get a save for no damage, it is only a cantrip after all.)

2. Sneak attack seems to barely ever function and I can't tell why. I've had my rogue hidden from all enemies, striking while the target is surprised, and still no sneak attack damage. I've had many attempts while an ally is within 5 feet (or 1.5m) and no sneak attack damage. I'm not complaining, I know this isn't intended and just want to make sure you're aware of it.

3. Not a big deal at all, but I had that tiefling (sorry I forgot a lot of the names,) give my main char the soul coin. No idea what that is but i'm interested. Then a few moments later spoke to her as Gale, and she said she must have been pickpocketed. lol. not a big deal but is she supposed to forget what she just did?

4. I know there has been a lot of hate about bonus actions etc, and although I definitely do NOT hate what you've changed regarding this (in fact I definitely understand the reasoning,) I do agree with a lot of it.
- I feel the rogue gets a raw deal because of these changes for one, and I feel that disengaging should generally come at a cost forcing more tactical thinking.
- Shove is fine, I know others will disagree with me, but I feel like it is a good middle ground because it is only against one and has a chance of failing.
- Dip, I saw a lot of complaints about, but I think it is really really cool. I would just lose the surface effects from it, for the same reason as the cantrips. There are lots of higher level spells with surface effects, focuse your awesome surface stuff on those please, heck hombrew in a bunch of extra surface affecting spells you guys do that stuff really well and this game has lots of room to make spells like that usefull and tactically interesting; they should be costly though, not all over the combat area in lvl 1 fights from cantrips and arrows it just doesn't fit dnd.
- hide, the only reason I don't like it being a bonus action, is again, it takes away from the rogue, maybe there is a compromise somewhere there, not sure yet.

I intend to add more as I play, so I hope this reaches the right audience. I will add that I love the characters, all interesting and unique, I like that my char isn't somehow so special that they all just love me right away. I love the open world, it feels real, and vibrant, and active. I love the many ways to approach situations. I love camp interactions, though I feel they are still a bit shallow (I imagine that changes as we go.) Any mechanic I haven't mentioned as needing a second look, you should know that it is because it is awesome and I love it. The things that I have recomended changes for, it is because I feel it can be better.

Awesome work everyone at Larian, keep it up.

stranger
stranger
Question about the sneak attack: Have you actually clicked on the sneak attack button? I know this might seem like a stupid question if you are, but I've seen others say that they didn't know the button existed before I mentioned something about it.

It's an actual command button, like a spell or special attack, not something that automatically goes off if the conditions are correct (I wish the latter was the case, as you can't deal sneak attack damage on a bonus action attack - if you missed on the first attack - or an opportunity attack).

As for what Rogues get to do, I really like the fact that they get a SECOND bonus action instead of being able to do bonus action things with Cunning Action. I don't think it took anything away from Rogue at all, but actually let them be BETTER than they were before (assuming they eventually fix the sneak attack action). Being able to get two bonus action attacks or dash twice to get up to the enemies is a godsend to the class.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by SLOPOrion
Question about the sneak attack: Have you actually clicked on the sneak attack button? I know this might seem like a stupid question if you are, but I've seen others say that they didn't know the button existed before I mentioned something about it.

It's an actual command button, like a spell or special attack, not something that automatically goes off if the conditions are correct (I wish the latter was the case, as you can't deal sneak attack damage on a bonus action attack - if you missed on the first attack - or an opportunity attack).

As for what Rogues get to do, I really like the fact that they get a SECOND bonus action instead of being able to do bonus action things with Cunning Action. I don't think it took anything away from Rogue at all, but actually let them be BETTER than they were before (assuming they eventually fix the sneak attack action). Being able to get two bonus action attacks or dash twice to get up to the enemies is a godsend to the class.

The sneak attack button doesn't work sometimes. I click it like you're supposed to, sometimes it does the extra damage and sometimes it doesn't (while still meeting conditions).

Shanks Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by SLOPOrion

I appreciate your diplomacy in how you asked this lol, but yes, I was pushing the actual sneak attack button on the right end of the hotbar. Sometimes melee, sometimes ranged, either way it only works a fraction of the times that it ought to for some reason.

I don't entirely disagree with what you're saying about the extra bonus action. It definitely makes up for it in a lot of ways. But even being able to do those things as a bonus action is what made the rogue special, and I just feel like they aren't that special anymore, which I acknowledge is my own taste and not necessarily a mechanics issue.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Zirrix

The sneak attack button doesn't work sometimes. I click it like you're supposed to, sometimes it does the extra damage and sometimes it doesn't (while still meeting conditions).

Can confirm.

addict
addict
Although the shove is super fun (!) ... it becomes too powerful and free when near pits/chasms. I am on the fence about it. As an Action, players would still 100% do it for sure if it pushes an enemy in a hole.

For fun, on a Youtube livestream, I saw a Goblin shaman (enemy AI) push an Ogre (allied AI) about 10 to 15 feet away into a pit. ... Was amusing. A bit odd though, and only cost a Bonus Action.

Last edited by Baraz; 09/10/20 08:37 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Baraz
Although the shove is super fun (!) ... it becomes too powerful and free when near pits/chasms.

So when I first found the web bridges, nothing untoward spawns immediately after stepping on one and triggering the warning. I figured I was safe. When the Ettercaps rushed me, I put some distance between they and I and took some pot shots with my arrows. The first one had about half health when it got to my most forward party member and beat the ever loving Jesus out of him. His turn followed, and I pushed that thing right into the chasm and put an arrow into it. I learned to keep my distance with the second, but what I had not learned was that they explode into acid or poison clouds on death, and ended up getting my entire party hit with some distinctly miserable DoT that left all of them just short of dead. I reloaded my mid combat save and pushed that dude to his death, leaving only a single party member tainted.

You know what? I LOVE that push mechanic.

While I am on it. I love many of the combat encounters. The harpies are great, the hyenas were fun, to hell with the phase spiders, but the love shack was a laugh, I like how combat is more than just rushing in and beating things down like some sort of prison shanking.

Last edited by DistantStranger; 09/10/20 08:46 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard