Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
One companion per class would be great, a little like in Neverwinter Nights 2.

stranger
stranger
agreed, would also add non-tadploed ones, could be fun dynamic

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Gmazca
I could be mistaken, but I believe BG2 had 17 NPCs (with 3 or 4 more in the EE version).

BG1
25 + 4.

BG2
16 + 5.
https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Companions

Originally Posted by Nyanko
Two words: Early Access. You're welcome.

Maybe not, All the art and graphic design of the game (including the cinematics) imply that these 5 companions are the main ones in the story.

Last edited by Darth Rauko; 08/10/20 05:42 PM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Darth Rauko
Originally Posted by Gmazca
I could be mistaken, but I believe BG2 had 17 NPCs (with 3 or 4 more in the EE version).

BG1
25 + 4.

BG2
16 + 5.
https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Companions

Originally Posted by Nyanko
Two words: Early Access. You're welcome.

Maybe not, All the art and graphic design of the game (including the cinematics) imply that these 5 companions are the main ones in the story.

Swen has already said that more origin characters are coming. Photoshop is amazing thing. As the announce more characters the art will be adjusted to include them.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Panicintrinsica
It's been 20 years. Standards have changed. A Lot.

Each new companion is a custom model, a writer, new animations, and a voice actor at minimum. If each companion has their own companion quest, then it is designers, more writers, more animators and more actors, and much, much more time and money. We are just not in an era anymore where you can bang out generic companions in an after new with a junior staff writer and a portrait.

You do know that BG1, which was developed in the 90s, had over 34 voice actors (as officially listed in ImDB) for inumerous character and throughout dialogues in all game, they had an extensive amount of characters with different personalities and really unique, yeah Bioware rocked the narratives in the 90s and early 2000s. It's actually just a matter of time and effort instead of being an impossibility. It doesn't look like an issue to me to add more unique companions for one of each class at least after all there are only 7 more potentially missing from the rooster.

Sure animations and facial capturing might be a bit harder but they own that technology and it isn't a matter of recreating the wheel, just using it. Might be time consuming but that's why they opted to release it as EA instead of waiting 4 years to release a full complete game.

Last edited by HeavensBells; 08/10/20 06:15 PM. Reason: Grammar
journeyman
journeyman

Just because these are the "main" (aka tadpoled; aka Origin) companions doesn't mean there won't be more very soon.

We might get another 1-2 tadpoled companions; the rest are likely to not have tadpoles, and to show up later in the story (say towards the end of Act 1, since the party gets fixed after that).

One last thing. Can someone confirm whether or not Gale is actually tadpoled? I haven't seen anything yet to confirm that he is. Then again, I've been mucking around in the early game to try different things out.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Gabriel Farishta

Just because these are the "main" (aka tadpoled; aka Origin) companions doesn't mean there won't be more very soon.

We might get another 1-2 tadpoled companions; the rest are likely to not have tadpoles, and to show up later in the story (say towards the end of Act 1, since the party gets fixed after that).

One last thing. Can someone confirm whether or not Gale is actually tadpoled? I haven't seen anything yet to confirm that he is. Then again, I've been mucking around in the early game to try different things out.

Gale specifically says he has a tadpole when you meet him.

addict
addict
They've stated they intend all companions to be origins/tadpoled. And yes, more are coming. From what I understand, the current 5 aren't any more "main" than the ones to come.

From the March reddit AMA:

Will all possible companions be available as Origin character options or will there be companions available only as NPCs?

Swen: We are trying to make all characters with backstory available as origin characters. Other than that, you will be able to recruit generic mercenaries and customize these. We’re also planning to allow you to build a custom party from the character creation screen though that most likely won’t be present in early access from the get go.

stranger
stranger
Agreed, we need more companions. I'm sure we'll get more though, seeing as its just EA. I'd think you want at least 10 options so that your play-throughs can vary significantly.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I have to agree, BG1 had 25. I am not expecting that many but there should be at least 1 companion for each class to give players options. Maybe more will be added when they add the rest of the classes?

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
We’re also planning to allow you to build a custom party from the character creation screen though that most likely won’t be present in early access from the get go.

Custom party from the start would be great

ty all

Here is hoping there is more, even Dragon Age had 8, would be nice if there was like 10-12

W
veteran
veteran
W
We’re also planning to allow you to build a custom party from the character creation screen though that most likely won’t be present in early access from the get go.

Custom party from the start would be great

ty all

That is a feature that is coming, but you can do it right now by creating a LAN game with yourself. I have an all Drow custom party and my main file has two custom characters.

Here you go:

forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=87799&Number=679859#Post679859

Last edited by Warlocke; 08/10/20 11:58 PM.
C
C
Yeah, the edgelord companions don't inspire confidence of anything besides killing them all on site in game. It's actually pathetic to see them react the moment you want to help people.

Thank god I can make ones myself apparently later that aren't like a 12 year old's first edgy character. Last i checked most DnD parties want a party that are at least neutral to each other

Last edited by CamKitty; 09/10/20 12:42 AM.
R
apprentice
apprentice
R
Originally Posted by Deemer

Each new companion is a custom model, a writer, new animations, and a voice actor at minimum. If each companion has their own companion quest, then it is designers, more writers, more animators and more actors, and much, much more time and money. We are just not in an era anymore where you can bang out generic companions in an after new with a junior staff writer and a portrait.

If Larian is going to stick to only five characters, then this is a pretty pathetic degree of variety. We have a chaotic evil rogue, a lawful evil gith, a cleric of an evil deity, a devil-dealing warlock, and a power-thirsty wizard. Not one classic hero (or even an interesting anti-hero...) in the bunch. I'd rather use hirelings than just about any of these assholes.

Please tell me we're getting hirelings.

Look, this is precisely the point. So far, EA has only opened 6 classes, and the companions cover 5 of them. Why don't we have, say, a classic hero like a paladin or a neutral caretaker like a druid? Well, probably because that class isn't ready yet. I do get that the personalities of the companions they released from the get go could have been more varied, but this is verymuch a work in progress.

And honestly, the fact that there are more classes yet to come also implies (to me) that there are more companions yet to come. We might not get a gigantic 25-person roster, but I would expect 10-12 by the time the game releases.

En una las entrevista prometieron mercenarios antes que salga el EA espero que cumplan D;!! o me dejen editar sus companion -.-

R
apprentice
apprentice
R
Originally Posted by Deemer

If Larian is going to stick to only five characters, then this is a pretty pathetic degree of variety. We have a chaotic evil rogue, a lawful evil gith, a cleric of an evil deity, a devil-dealing warlock, and a power-thirsty wizard. Not one classic hero (or even an interesting anti-hero...) in the bunch. I'd rather use hirelings than just about any of these assholes.

Please tell me we're getting hirelings.

Look, this is precisely the point. So far, EA has only opened 6 classes, and the companions cover 5 of them. Why don't we have, say, a classic hero like a paladin or a neutral caretaker like a druid? Well, probably because that class isn't ready yet. I do get that the personalities of the companions they released from the get go could have been more varied, but this is verymuch a work in progress.

And honestly, the fact that there are more classes yet to come also implies (to me) that there are more companions yet to come. We might not get a gigantic 25-person roster, but I would expect 10-12 by the time the game releases.

En una las entrevista prometieron mercenarios antes que salga el EA espero que cumplan D;!! o me dejen editar sus companion -.-
Originally Posted by Eireson
Got to agree that we need at least a few more companions, and I'd prefer to see some more variety in their backgrounds i.e. some more on the neutral/good side. Obviously whilst they are working together to get rid of the worms in their head they have a reason to cooperate but aside from that it would seem fairly obvious that the current companions are going to be disagreeing with you pretty much all the time if you want to play a hero character.

Bueno esos compañeros fueron creados para sigas lado malvado ya que pidieron a los jugadores jueguen el rol malvado en la EA por que habían creado sorpresas en lado malvado

R
apprentice
apprentice
R
They've stated they intend all companions to be origins/tadpoled. And yes, more are coming. From what I understand, the current 5 aren't any more "main" than the ones to come.

From the March reddit AMA:

Will all possible companions be available as Origin character options or will there be companions available only as NPCs?

Swen: We are trying to make all characters with backstory available as origin characters. Other than that, you will be able to recruit generic mercenaries and customize these. We’re also planning to allow you to build a custom party from the character creation screen though that most likely won’t be present in early access from the get go.

La mejor noticia !!!!!!! D; pasa link donde leiste eso mi tio google no me muestra mas que cuando iba salir Baldurgate 3 -.- 2h para encontrar algo ni idea por que no entiende

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard