#680885 08/10/20 11:24 AM
V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
First, the game is awesome overall.

I was able to do one short rest then the feature is disabled. am I missing something or is there a limit?

This can be MODed oout, but why do this in the first place? I can't long rest, and now I can't short rest, which breaks some classes like Warlock completely, and gimps any lass with short rest features,

I was under the understanding that I could short rest after each encounter.

Who, exactly, goes into battle unprepared?

Last edited by Van'tal; 08/10/20 11:25 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
I'd like to know this as well. If each encounter is challenging, as it probably will be at low level, you need to be able to short rest between them.

enthusiast
enthusiast
My guess: In tabletop, when you perform a short rest, you can choose to use hit dices to recover hit points. You can use as many hit dices as you have levels. Once you no longer have hit dices to recover hit points, you have to do a long rest to recover them. In game, when you do a short rest, they automatically spend hit dices so your characters can recover hit points. My guess is you'll have as many short rests as you have levels. So, if you used a short rest and then it was no longer available after that, you may have been level 1. Am I right?

apprentice
apprentice
Nope Level 3 and only one short rest before trying this one.

Yeah looks like short rest is limited to 1 per long rest, period. For now at least

apprentice
apprentice
That's a blow. Wonder why they've done it that way

Originally Posted by Ravenfeeder

I'm guessing it's either a placeholder mechanic until they build a system that will take how many HD you use for healing into account, or an ill-conceived attempt at simplifying the resting mechanic

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
I've been taking long rests when all I need is a short one most of the time. Short rests should be much less restrictive.

Yar, Im sure theyll add at least one more short rest. Two more may be even better... we definitely shouldnt be long resting so often, considering the time stress we're under.

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
It should not be restricted at all...the only reason my Warlock is doing well is that I understand positioning during a fight. Warlocks are a class that gets 2 spells per fight, then up to 4 at the highest levels. Right now I have had one short rest through 2 levels...cantrips and daggers only.

When it comes to the rules in 5e Larian...whatever you do...Do NOT think!...just implement. Every deviation you make will bite you in the bum. Look at SSI of the 80s and 90s as your turn based model for success. Just implement the RAW and put your creativity elsewhere.

I realize this is EA so now is the time to repent fast. As it stands this is a D&D-like DOS game. If it were D&D some cantrips would have a range of 120' and snipers would be good for 600'.
Now the chapel actual had ceilings...I saw it like one time (and I don't even know how I did it). Why not allow the mouse to toggle up and extend the range to where it should be.
All ranged weapons and spells are currently based on the myopic DOS combat style.

Now that I understand this system, I will have to abandon everything I know about table top and re-roll something that works optimally. The other option is that I completely ignore the plot and Lae'zel and just go long rest every other encounter. Who cares about the tadpole in my head...just throw out immersion and the story and do what I need to do.

I play a warlock and I havent found it too bad - and it quickly gets more manageable with a full party. Have played through the druid enclave (havent rescued anyone yet) and walked very far south, had an awesome fight with four redcaps, and am now just going to do my second ever long rest. I think with three short rests instead of one, it'd be fine.

old hand
old hand
I'd make it 2 short rests.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Van'tal
It should not be restricted at all...the only reason my Warlock is doing well is that I understand positioning during a fight. Warlocks are a class that gets 2 spells per fight, then up to 4 at the highest levels. Right now I have had one short rest through 2 levels...cantrips and daggers only.

When it comes to the rules in 5e Larian...whatever you do...Do NOT think!...just implement. Every deviation you make will bite you in the bum. Look at SSI of the 80s and 90s as your turn based model for success. Just implement the RAW and put your creativity elsewhere.

Apples to oranges.
SSI was dealing with AD&D, a system designed from a minis wargame that expected you to have mini's (all ranges are given in table "s) & dramatically changed ranges between the dungeon & overland travel.

5e was designed to be run on a table as an option, but mostly to 'feel' like D&D and be easily run in the head of a DM. The motto for the design of this edition was "Rulings, not Rules" which is the exact opposite design goal of AD&D and also a nightmare when attempting to have a computer execute the rules set.

If you implement 5e on a computer, by virtue of how the game was designed, you have to make changes, choices and Always rulings and in general they've done a fairly straightforward port (aside from range) and...well...5e's rules just aren't that interesting and strategy isn't that deep when it comes to combat. Intentionally so. The DM, through rulings, was supposed to patch over any bumps.

Back on topic - Limiting Short Rests & the so far nearly unlimited Long Rests essentially means we're back to 3.x 15 minute workday where the Cleric/Wizard/Druid are king and once they're out of spells, why bother going further? Might as well Rest.

Especially with the high-difficulty of each combat.

Last edited by Theliel; 08/10/20 10:02 PM.
V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Originally Posted by The Drow Warlock
I play a warlock and I havent found it too bad - and it quickly gets more manageable with a full party. Have played through the druid enclave (havent rescued anyone yet) and walked very far south, had an awesome fight with four redcaps, and am now just going to do my second ever long rest. I think with three short rests instead of one, it'd be fine.

My 'lock has done fine with zero long rests...but it is not a 'lock without spells.

Limiting long rests because of the plot made sense to me, but the mechanics are already forcing me to change play style.

The DOS style (shortened playing field), also changes things dramatically, so there are way better build choices than what has worked for me in Fantasy grounds.

If Larian stays the coarse I can see the most popular mod being a total conversion to 5e.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
Hey, I want to get a clear understanding of how risky multiple long rests are. I've been playing for close to 18 hours and have only taken 4 long rests because the story has me scared to take more. Is this something I should be worrying about at all because doing it this way means my spellcasters are going without spells for long stretches and I feel like I'm missing out on story stuff other people are experiencing and talking about on here.

apprentice
apprentice
Meanwhile, my warlock boy is happily Eldritch Blasting away without really using spell slots. :P

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Gt27mustang
My guess: In tabletop, when you perform a short rest, you can choose to use hit dices to recover hit points. You can use as many hit dices as you have levels. Once you no longer have hit dices to recover hit points, you have to do a long rest to recover them. In game, when you do a short rest, they automatically spend hit dices so your characters can recover hit points. My guess is you'll have as many short rests as you have levels. So, if you used a short rest and then it was no longer available after that, you may have been level 1. Am I right?

There are lots of other mechanics that use the short rest other than spending hit dice. Limiting short rests to how many hit dice you have to spend would be awful. Gimps the entire Warlock class into pretty much just a cantrip turret. Though Rangers, Paladins, Wizards, and Druids also have reasons to short rest even if they don't need to spend any hit dice at all. Not to mention magic items that may recharge on short rest.

Last edited by SFPuck; 09/10/20 08:52 AM.
G
apprentice
apprentice
G
I think how Resting is handled should be added to the Gameplay Options and allow the player to determine that.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I haven't even figured out how to "short rest" so y'all are ahead of me.

D
D
Originally Posted by Khorvale
Originally Posted by Ravenfeeder

I'm guessing it's either a placeholder mechanic until they build a system that will take how many HD you use for healing into account, or an ill-conceived attempt at simplifying the resting mechanic

Most likely the former, they had stated before that they were thinking about how to address rest mechanics and I suspect this is just what we have for now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard