Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
stranger
stranger
J
No, no, no, no, no to this topic. If anything, it should be even darker in dungeons. Diablo and a D&D-based RPG are two totally different animals. As others have mentioned in this thread, if you're exploring a dungeon, you need to go in prepared with torches or spells, etc., to light the way. I wish they'd go even further and make you pack rations, put in a time system so you get tired, etc., to make it more like you were really going on an expedition. But as it is, I'm so glad they stayed faithful to D&D and made you actually think about what you're doing instead of just blundering around everywhere with no consideration for the circumstances or environment.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Jatt
No, no, no, no, no to this topic. If anything, it should be even darker in dungeons. Diablo and a D&D-based RPG are two totally different animals. As others have mentioned in this thread, if you're exploring a dungeon, you need to go in prepared with torches or spells, etc., to light the way. I wish they'd go even further and make you pack rations, put in a time system so you get tired, etc., to make it more like you were really going on an expedition. But as it is, I'm so glad they stayed faithful to D&D and made you actually think about what you're doing instead of just blundering around everywhere with no consideration for the circumstances or environment.

This. I'd actually love to have a "pen and paper" mode where hunger, thirst and fatigue are a thing... but one step at a time, I guess. wink

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by WarBaby2
Originally Posted by Jatt

This. I'd actually love to have a "pen and paper" mode where hunger, thirst and fatigue are a thing... but one step at a time, I guess. wink

I've literally never played a game where I worried about hunger or thirst, and fatigue has only been an issue for when the PCs do something dumb or something affects them differently. Even when we played Tomb of Annihilation, just so long as my players HAD access to water, I didn't make a big deal about the food/water thing. Hell, a druid with goodberry basically defeats the try-hard campaigns with ease.

addict
addict
I just explored the Dark Crypt (literally the name :P). EDIT: actually, is Dank Crypt.

I really loved the difference between Darkvision, Drow superior darkvision, etc.
Otherwise, there are chandeliers and candles all over that you can lite.

Last edited by Baraz; 09/10/20 11:36 PM.
B
stranger
stranger
B
i second they got this right. light a torch

J
stranger
stranger
J
Hahaha! Loving darkness. You should try light spells, or find a game that can help you with your many issues.

L
L
Completely disagree with the OP, Larian got it right. Throw that opinion on the pile.

addict
addict
Use dark vision, light a torch, use a light spell, light the myriad of braziers & candles ....cmon man it’s not that hard !
Caves & crypts & dungeons are dark - that’s what they are ......

It's okay that you don't like it, but darkness has to be annoying to have any meaningful impact. This is very much NOT Diablo (a great game), but a real roleplaying game. You want to wander around in a dark cave as if the sun is shining in it? Not the right game for you then. Use a torch, dancing lights or light cantrip, light candles, burn stuff or simply get a race with darkvision.

I for once really love the fact that some people in my party can see and others not.

Originally Posted by jonn
Originally Posted by Khorvale
Strongly disagree.
Right now, you have to have either spells, torches or darkvision to handle darkness, and at the same time it provides a lot of opportunity for stealthing. With a bit more polish this is hopefully going to be a really cool system.
What we DO need though, is a way to light our torches without having to shoot fire on the ground or similar. Ever hear of matches Larian? wink

Pretty sure you can light any torch, fire based light etc by right clicking and selecting Use

Huh, could've sworn I tried that, maybe it bugged out

veteran
veteran
@OP: Your images show that the game does everything right in this regard.
Not seeing stuff is the whole point of darkness.
As the others have mentioned, there are many ways to deal with it: darkvision, torch, light spell, . . .

Congratulations Larian

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
apprentice
apprentice
Is a great point of the game, using darkness as any other environmental hazard, and, of course, forcing the use of tools to go around it.

The other way around is as stupid as skyrim, the game have torches, magic lights, nigh vision powers, detect life and death spells... But every time you enter a tomb that is suposse to be sealed for centuries it's full of light torches, candles and light fires (fortunately skyrim have mods for it, but it's a great flaw of the base game)

N
old hand
old hand
N
Strongly disagree.
Right now, you have to have either spells, torches or darkvision to handle darkness, and at the same time it provides a lot of opportunity for stealthing. With a bit more polish this is hopefully going to be a really cool system.
What we DO need though, is a way to light our torches without having to shoot fire on the ground or similar. Ever hear of matches Larian? wink

Pretty sure you can light any torch, fire based light etc by right clicking and selecting Use

I tried it too and it didn't work. I think it's bugged sometimes.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Nyanko
Strongly disagree.

I tried it too and it didn't work. I think it's bugged sometimes.

You can dip them just like weapons. It doesn't really make sense because you can light candles without a tool, so why not a torch?

N
old hand
old hand
N
Magic candles maybe? :P

Just tried again, definitely can't light torches from your inventory which is a bit silly. They should also definitely be equippable in the off-hand slot so you can go Weapon/Torch for exploring

veteran
veteran
Dungeons aren't DARK ENOUGH. Light your way with a goddamn torch and enjoy the lightshow.

journeyman
journeyman
I do agree that torches should be off-hand equipable.

They shodu add torches because elfs and some other races have sight in dungeons. I think they shoud stay dark but we shoud get more options to see more in dungeons. Like torches or helmets with vision that we had in BG series.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Rouoko
They shodu add torches because elfs and some other races have sight in dungeons. I think they shoud stay dark but we shoud get more options to see more in dungeons. Like torches or helmets with vision that we had in BG series.

But torches are already in the game. It's just we can't light them up unless there is fire nearby. We should at least be able to light them up by clicking on them.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard