Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 41 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 40 41
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Akari
Originally Posted by Mythago
Casting spells during dialogue should be possible.

I mean spells like Friends, Charm Person, Detect Thoughts, etc. Too often I have those spells prepared, but end up in an important dialogue without realizing it's about to happen. I really don't want to keep hitting Quicksave every 20 seconds so that I can reload and cast those spells where I feel it's important. There's already a "Start battle" button in dialogue and I've never pressed it. I'd like there to be "Cast a spell" button as well, filtered to only show dialogue-relevant spells.

+1

Definetely +1

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by malks
Originally Posted by Akari
Originally Posted by Mythago
Casting spells during dialogue should be possible.

I mean spells like Friends, Charm Person, Detect Thoughts, etc. Too often I have those spells prepared, but end up in an important dialogue without realizing it's about to happen. I really don't want to keep hitting Quicksave every 20 seconds so that I can reload and cast those spells where I feel it's important. There's already a "Start battle" button in dialogue and I've never pressed it. I'd like there to be "Cast a spell" button as well, filtered to only show dialogue-relevant spells.

+1

Definetely +1

yes, this.

journeyman
journeyman
http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=683573&gonew=1#UNREAD

This post is a good example why most bonus actions atm shouldn't be bonus actions.

Same happens for the shove/jump disengage mechanic.

Hide is something else that as a bonus should be rogue only.

journeyman
journeyman
http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=683249&gonew=1#UNREAD

Part of the reduce surfaces suggestion annoying so many is also the many barrels everywhere.

Also I think they should be too heavy to carry. Most we could do is push them from sonewhwere close.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by endolex
- QoL: using the 'Highlight' function should also highlight containers and basically everything that is clickable

+1

Unless they are gonna tie this mechanic into perception or something, when i press alt i should see all of the interactive items my character could see.

stranger
stranger
Posting this from my Narrative Flow Critique which has gotten buried from all the amazing suggestions :P

Story Critiques

-Narrative Flow: I wake up on a beach, a larian staple, and then pick up these potential companions. So far so good, but...I could just make camp with one of them and it leads to a deep conversation...with a person I just met. Very little game time has passed and I'm already talking with this companion about things that should perhaps come later in the story. It makes more sense if I wait to level 2 to head to camp, and have some combat experience, but just hopping into camp right after getting shadowheart felt...awkward. This happened several times throughout the game where I would go into camp and it would lead to some important story bits...but I didn't feel like my character was ready for that bit just yet. Not enough actual time had passed. So, I found myself avoiding going to camp because I didn't want to get pulled into some narrative hook

-Act 1 Ending: It didn't feel like an ending. I didn't feel like I'd accomplished anything of note to define the transition into Act 2. Perhaps this is unrealistic expectations from previous CRPGS, but the end of Act 1 always felt like you'd accomplished something amazing our had developed some real relationships with your teammates. Whereas, going into act 2, I feel like my relationships with my teammates are fairly similar to where they started. Yes, I've learned a bit about them, but nothing momentous has happened. There was no boss fight. No really major accomplishment. Just trudging down the underdark.

-Companions: I really enjoyed the companions...but they're all gary-stus/mary-sue's. Each of them have their own special snow-flakeness to them. Vampire? Check. Explosive wizard? Check. etc. I think there needs to be more cohesion among the writers. As it stands, the companions all feel super-special in their own way, which is nice, but it does two things. One, it makes your custom origin PC seemingly less special and two, it creates a more jilted story. There needs to be more cohesion in the story t elling.

-Origins: I know it would be some work, but I strongly encourage Larian to consider adding 2-3 hours of gameplay around your custom player's origin. For example, you're a Drow-lolth sworn, you spend a few in-game hours learning about your culture and how you got kidnapped by the Mind-flayers. As it stands, I really didn't feel much connection to my PC until about halfway into Act 1. I'd really like to flesh out my pc as a person in game before getting thrown into the insanity.

Last edited by Arthellion; 09/10/20 01:00 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Arthellion
-Origins: I know it would be some work, but I strongly encourage Larian to consider adding 2-3 hours of gameplay around your custom player's origin. For example, you're a Drow-lolth sworn, you spend a few in-game hours learning about your culture and how you got kidnapped by the Mind-flayers. As it stands, I really didn't feel much connection to my PC until about halfway into Act 1. I'd really like to flesh out my pc as a person in game before getting thrown into the insanity.

Oh yes, this, please... bump up the starting lvl for the main story to 3 and give us 1-2 hours of prologue per origin story... it would also soften the punch of meeting all those super special "DM's nightmare" characters later. We know it's you first foray into the Realms, Larian, but you really can't go that allout from the outset in this setting, as you could in your own, it's charring!

journeyman
journeyman
http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=682503#Post682503

Ive seen more posts asking for grapple.

I think it would really give the fighter more options.

We dont need a full grappling animation. Just that it exists and restrains the enemy would already be great. I think a full grappling animation would be too costy, in both time abd money so I guess that's why it wasnt added.

Anyways. Many requests for grappling action, which would come great to accompany the separstion of jump disengage [ one column more, all filled]

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Originally Posted by someoneinatree
Main things I've been focused on:

1) Improved demarcation of class abilities - eg. scrolls only being usable by classes the spell list appears on, including Wizards only learning spells from their list; make disengage and hide an Action so that Rogue's Cunning Action feature feels significant

This, so much this. I made an account just to come on here and post this and agree. Classes MUST be more unique. Every class needs to have its clear limitations. Allowing everyone to use the same spells (even if they are barely a magic user) is not good. That was one of my biggest issues with DOS1 & 2 - classes felt generic.

veteran
veteran
Well, great job. This is a very good summary thread.

Can I have my thread about party movement added to the list of the "somewhat popular" complains?
http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=679414&nt=3&page=1

Not to toot my own horn but the feedback so far seems to be overwhelmingly in favor of what I'm suggesting.

Last edited by Tuco; 09/10/20 01:19 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
stranger
stranger
I've already wrote this in that thread, i'd like to be able to use the left mouse button to select the characters by clicking or dragging. I'm not a fan of the "portraits chain" system.

Last edited by Albi; 09/10/20 01:22 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Albi
I've already wrote this in that thread, i'd like to be able to use the left mouse button to select the characters by clicking or dragging. I'm not a fan of the "portraits chain" system.

Good man!
Incidentally, exactly what I was linking about a post before yours!

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by TravelingBuddha
Originally Posted by someoneinatree
Main things I've been focused on:

1) Improved demarcation of class abilities - eg. scrolls only being usable by classes the spell list appears on, including Wizards only learning spells from their list; make disengage and hide an Action so that Rogue's Cunning Action feature feels significant

This, so much this. I made an account just to come on here and post this and agree. Classes MUST be more unique. Every class needs to have its clear limitations. Allowing everyone to use the same spells (even if they are barely a magic user) is not good. That was one of my biggest issues with DOS1 & 2 - classes felt generic.

Dos is classless, so that was fine there.

In BG3 however I have to agree.

5e does allow everyone to use scrolls though.

But maybe if the usage was limited by proficiency a specific skill like Arcana and Religion, for arcane and divine magics respectively, it would improve the character uniqueness and flavour, giving even more importance to the background choice.

Edit: maybe if not proficient you could use with a check based on spell level and failure could be a little worse than nothing happening? Just another idea.

Last edited by malks; 09/10/20 01:46 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

That's the misconception Larian has fallen victim to, too, I guess: Yes, all characters can use MAGIC scrolls - which are basically one-use magic items, but only casters can use (and, in the case of Wizards, copy) SPELL scrolls - ie. scrolls on which actual arcane/divine spells have been written on to be used by casters who have to those spells on their list of useable spells. As it happens, most scrolls you can find in the game right now are of the latter variety, and should NOT be useable by everyone.

Last edited by WarBaby2; 09/10/20 01:50 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

Actually, no, it doesn't

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Spell%20Scroll#content

To use a scorll in 5e, you need the spell that is scribed in the scroll to be on your class spell list. Or you need to be a level 13 thief.

journeyman
journeyman
- Add more companions, and a custom party from the beginning. link

- Turn-based/Real Time with Pause link

- A proper party size (5 or 6) link

- Alignment and reputation

- Party pathfinding and Party formations link

- how about weather conditions / dynamic weather (maybe storms), and see the times of the day happen, day and night cycle (dawn, dusk, midnight) very important in d&d and implemented in the old games (bg1&2)

- non-combat XP (Encounter XP (non-violent resolution)).

- Disable fasttravel on the minimap icon. Activate it only directly on runes (fasttravel points). Reduce fasttravelpoints radical, because we want to explore the map oldschool and dont want to teleport.

- Better inventory management

- Outline all usable spots on ALT

- Rework the restingsystem. Maybe two short rest?

- Got another presentation/UI one, a old one (pen paper feel) and new fonts

- Jumping only for rogues

- Fog of war

- Weapons: game should let player opt to use versatile weapons 1H or 2H regardless whether their offhand is empty or not. Longbows, shortbows, and crossbows all having the same range doesn't make sense. Longbows and crossbows should have a longer range than shortbows.

Last edited by Darth Rauko; 09/10/20 02:27 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by WarBaby2

That's the misconception Larian has fallen victim to, too, I guess: Yes, all characters can use MAGIC scrolls - which are basically one-use magic items, but only casters can use (and, in the case of Wizards, copy) SPELL scrolls - ie. scrolls on which actual arcane/divine spells have been written on to be used by casters who have to those spells on their list of useable spells. As it happens, most scrolls you can find in the game right now are of the latter variety, and should NOT be useable by everyone.

That's actually true, for example what the famous scroll of revivify actually does is cast the spell which the actual text is:
Revivify
3rd level of necromancy
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: V S M (Diamonds worth 300 gp, which the spell consumes)
Duration: Instantaneous
Classes: Cleric, Paladin
You touch a creature that has died within the last minute. That creature returns to life with 1 hit point. This spell can’t return to life a creature that has died of old age, nor can it restore any missing body parts.

In the end all spells have class restrictions, and only reading isn't enough to cast them if you're not part of that class, as well as you can't just read it and learn.

Altough this scroll might be the only one you could argue anyone should be able to use cause you know dying sucks. Even if we have skeleboi at camp.

Last edited by HeavensBells; 09/10/20 01:56 PM. Reason: grammar
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by WarBaby2

I can't get to the books right now. I'm at work.

But as I recall, there are divine scrolls in 5e. Anyone can use them.
i was wrong here, thanks for verifying.

I am for the proficiency in skill requirement, otherwise maybe check or no use at all. For this game it would make more sense, be cooler, more realistic and pull it away from DOS, something that's been raging many people.

The books rule it's class limited. That would be fine too.

Last edited by malks; 09/10/20 02:01 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by blindhamster

Actually, no, it doesn't

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Spell%20Scroll#content

To use a scorll in 5e, you need the spell that is scribed in the scroll to be on your class spell list. Or you need to be a level 13 thief.

Thank you, that solves it.

Dice rolls: these should have the bonus/penalty modifier added to the value of the dice rather than subtracted to the target. Apparently this is not just a subjective matter but contradicts the D&D rules that rolling a 1 is an automatic fail no matter what.

When you said an automatic 1 means a fail on D&D, do you know that is not in the rules right? It is a house rule. Unless it is during combat a 1 can still mean success if you have enough bonus added to it.

Last edited by drimaxus; 09/10/20 02:01 PM.
Page 6 of 41 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 40 41

Link Copied to Clipboard